Bi-xenon HID projector retrofit for 900SSie - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Supersport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 2:39 am   #1 (permalink)

Bi-xenon HID projector retrofit for 900SSie

The carby SS guys get harrassed for their square headlights all the time, but the one thing that I don't like about my 2001 900SSie is the headlight (big, heavy, ugly, and not very modern looking). I was previously using an aftermarket HID bulb/ballast kit (with H4 re-based bulb) with the original headlight. Besides the typical problems with using an HID bulb in a headlight that was designed for a halogen bulb, it didn't improve the look of the bike. I love the look of an SSie with race fairings (no headlight), so I decided to retrofit a single bi-xenon HID specific projector headlight and use a race upper fairing from AirTech and custom fit it to the single headlight.

The bi-xenon HID projector headlight retrofit kit is from The Retrofit Source. This is a true aftermarket projector headlight that is purpose built for retrofitting and made specifically for an OEM-type D2S HID bulb with bi-xenon capablility (low and high beam). The "FX-R" projector is modeled after OEM Infiniti FX-45 projectors, but the external shape and four mounting points are more retrofit friendly. The low and high beam visibility from this projector is excellent and the low beam cutoff has an awesome color band that creates that sought after color-flicker when seen from a distance. The kit also comes with an H4 motorcycle relay harness that is virtually plug-n-play and is the perfect length for a direct connection to the battery on the Ducati 900SSie. The complete projector retrofit kit is priced at $150 with shipping.

The kit includes a new aftermarket bi-xenon HID projector, 35w D2S ballast, 35w D2S 5000K bulb, and an H4 motorcycle relay harness.

The relay harness is grounded to the frame near the factory wiring harness main connector.

The relay harness in-line fuse resides next to the factory fuses.

The relay harness is connected directly to the battery.

The ballast is mounted in the empty void of the original headlight utilizing an existing headlight bolt.

Custom mounting brackets for the projector headlight are fabricated from 1/8" thick aluminum sheet.

The mounting brackets are attached to the projector headlight.

1995 BMW M3 | 2003 BMW 330i ZHP | 2002 Range Rover HSE
2008 Ducati 1098 | 2002 Ducati 748s | 2001 Ducati 900SSie | 2008 Honda CBR600RR | 2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

Last edited by BrazeauRacing; Nov 27th, 2010 at 3:21 am.
BrazeauRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 27th, 2010, 2:40 am   #2 (permalink)

Continued...

The projector headlight and ballast are mounted to the existing headlight mounts.

2008 Ducati 1098 | 2002 Ducati 748s | 2001 Ducati 900SSie | 2008 Honda CBR600RR | 2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

Last edited by BrazeauRacing; Nov 27th, 2010 at 2:51 am.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 2:42 am   #3 (permalink)

Continued...

Low beam pattern (notice the color band at the cutoff).

High beam pattern.

Low beam visibility.

High beam visibility.

The AirTech upper fairing hasn't arrived yet, but I will post photos of the completed installation once i cut out a hole for the headlight and get it back from the painter.

Last edited by BrazeauRacing; Nov 27th, 2010 at 3:14 am.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 8:04 am   #4 (permalink)

WOW!! This is light. I am impresive of this modification.

Regards.
macmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 9:10 am   #5 (permalink)

But this actually fits and works in the stock upper fairing? If so, that is awesome and I need to have one!
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 10:37 am   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentathol View Post
But this actually fits and works in the stock upper fairing? If so, that is awesome and I need to have one!
Everything fits within the space left behind by the original headlight, however there will be a large opening around the projector headlight that you can either ignore or fabricate some type of filler plate to cover the opening.

Old Nov 28th, 2010, 7:35 am   #7 (permalink)

Chuck,

Nice job on the headlight, but I think you'll find a problem when you cut the small hole in the race upper fairing - the design proportions won't be correct: too much bodywork for so small an opening. I think MV is the only bike who has handled this detail properly so far.
rz33v4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 9:25 am   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the front shot photo! I love this setup. Maybe there's a way to cut the lens part off of the old light and stick it back where it belongs or have someone fab the exact shape in red/black plastic with the whole cutout. Gonna have to think about what to do.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:00 am   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentathol View Post
Thanks for the front shot photo! I love this setup. Maybe there's a way to cut the lens part off of the old light and stick it back where it belongs or have someone fab the exact shape in red/black plastic with the whole cutout. Gonna have to think about what to do.
I am obsessed with getting better lighting, so this is really interesting and they do right hand drive versions as well.

I would like to find a spare headlamp shell/glass and mount a pair behind the stock "glass" - just need to find a headlamp assembly then work out how to mount what Chuck has done into the shell AND be able to adjust them as well.
Mounting should not be hard, but adjusting might need some creativity.

Looks like the kit runs direct off the battery and plugs into the harness H4 connector so voltage drop should not be an issue.

If I do it though I will check my headlight after stopping - I did an HID setup for a CBR250RR I owned for a while and the relay fused closed, I guess due to the initial inrush current to the ballast. My daughter borrowed the bike for a while and did not notice the headlamp stayed on and flattened the battery, resulting in a call out to me !!!!!!!!!! I did not know there was a 24 hour callout service on borrowed bikes.

Include your location and your bike details - maybe someone here is just around the corner to help/educate you.

Punch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 1:11 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
I think you'll find a problem when you cut the small hole in the race upper fairing - the design proportions won't be correct: too much bodywork for so small an opening. I think MV is the only bike who has handled this detail properly so far.
I'm not sure what you mean here... do you mean that it will be difficult to cut the hole in the fairing, or that it won't look good appearance-wise because of shape of the fairing?

I realize that a single round headlight in the middle won't appeal to everyone, but i personally don't like the look of the factory headlight. I tried several placement options using photoshop (twin side-by-side, single offset to one side or the other, etc.) and the single light in the middle appealed to me the most. I'd love to run without a headlight at all for the sake of appearance, but that's obviously not legal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement