Clutch Problems - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:27 am   #1 (permalink)

Clutch Problems

Ok I've searched and searched for something somewhat related to the problems that I'm having but only a couple things even come close and they aren't gonna answer my questions. So if you have the patience to read all of this and hopefully help me solve this problem, that would be great. I'm gonna need all you desmo geniuses on this one.

I'm going to explain all the problems I've had with my clutch in the last couple months. First it started slipping big time, so I figured that was easy and I just replaced the plates. Everything was fine for a couple weeks or so, then the clutch starts getting funny on me, it started to get harder to shift into gears and when I would pull in the clutch lever it wouldn't engage till it was almost all the way back to the bars. So I start looking over the bike n what not and I noticed a small leak comming from the aftermarket slave cylinder (Evoluzione). So I take that off and take it apart and find the bore all messed up and bearings and metal shavings all over. So that part was junk and I call up Evoluzione to order a new one. I get it and install it, and yes I bled the clutch correctly many times and made sure there was no air in it what so ever. Took it out for a short ride, then bled the clutch again just to make sure. Next day I take it out it starts doing the same damn thing where the clutch doesn't engage till it's almost all the way pulled back. So now I'm like WTF and I noticed when I put my finger under the banjo bolt by the master cylinder I got a little bit of fluid comming out of there very slowly. So I figured just replace the banjo bolt and it should be fine, but nooooooooooo I take it out again and it's still doing the same thing. Which leads me to believe that I might need a master cylinder rebuild kit, which is where I'm stuck at right now. If someone could point me in the right direction and you believe that from what I've wrote this could be the problem feel free to let me know, or shoot me some input on what you think. THANKS.
EDIT: Oh yeah sorry it's a 97 916
Team_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:33 am   #2 (permalink)

My 2cents, I agree that it's probably the clutch master cylinder. Replace it, as it can't be rebuilt...prefereably with a 16*18 brembo radial master.
bubbazenetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:35 am   #3 (permalink)

Sweet thanks, I just needed a couple more people to agree that's what it probably is before I spend more money. Where is a good place to look for one?
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 12:16 pm   #4 (permalink)

If its leaking at the banjo bolt then I would think the problem is the banjo bolt, seals, or bango fittiing, and possibly a cracked MC. Do you have the stock lines on the bike?

Do they even make a Radial clutch MC?
NSR250 MC21, Hawk GT RC31,
CRF250X, Honda 300 Dream,
Porsche (many)http://members.rennlist.com/j911brick/rennlist3_002.htm
j911brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 1:34 pm   #5 (permalink)
Ducati Designs

Just curious, you mentioned that the original Evoluzione slave cylinder was destroted, and you replaced it. But did youever discover the root cause for that failure? You might want to check the clutch rod and throwout bearing (in the pressure plate), see if the bearing is seized and the rod burned/scored. When the throwout bearing fails, the clutch rod starts to rotate with the clutch and eventually spins/cooks the slave piston to destruction.

Ciao!

pg
pgeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 2:03 pm   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeller
Just curious, you mentioned that the original Evoluzione slave cylinder was destroted, and you replaced it. But did youever discover the root cause for that failure? You might want to check the clutch rod and throwout bearing (in the pressure plate), see if the bearing is seized and the rod burned/scored. When the throwout bearing fails, the clutch rod starts to rotate with the clutch and eventually spins/cooks the slave piston to destruction.

Ciao!

pg
Good call, in addition to that check the pinion bearing that the clutch control rod rides on in the output shaft. Spinning of the rod that might of caused the problem with the slave cylinder could also have damaged this bearing and the rod riding surface. I just went through this failure about two months ago. Your problem sounds similar.

“Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.” Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan

"Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you." Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

'11 Harley-Davidson Super Glide Custom.
’03 749 Biposto “Rosa”.
'93 Katana 600 "Rat Kat"(SOLD)
'09 Honda Rebel 250
B_Cebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 2:08 pm   #7 (permalink)
Chilehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbazenetty
My 2cents, I agree that it's probably the clutch master cylinder. Replace it, as it can't be rebuilt...
They can be rebuilt.

You can get kits at http://www.1tail.com/

Tom
st2lemans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 4:58 pm   #8 (permalink)

I just went through this with my brake master, I would bleed and next day have to bleed again. I called to get rebuild kit and they said, we can't get them and Brembo doesn't recommend rebuilding (clutch may be different) so I called yoyodyne. $133.00 complete with adjustable lever and brake switch, took me 30 min to install and bleed. My brakes have never been so good. Ducati N.A. wanted $286.00 for same part. Nice guys there also, they are in N.J.

Clutch 13mm - Gold W/ Gray Adj Lever 916 Type - Master Cylinder - Brembo
SKU 10.5065.13
No Description

Racer Net $103.07
Quantity

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInf...tid=10.5065.13
asshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 5:01 pm   #9 (permalink)

Oh yea I don't have a 916 but there should be a copper or aluminum crush gasket under all banjo bolts I think.
asshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 4:58 pm   #10 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the input. Right now I'm leaning towards the master cylinder though. When I take the bike in for the 12k service I will tell them about this problem and see if there is anything else that could have caused it, thanx again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement