Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Which would you choose for your second bike. I've already have a 2008 1098

Second bike choice. hmmmmmmmm

4K views 47 replies 33 participants last post by  osayek 
#1 ·
Ok, here the deal. I've got a 2008 1098, but this winter I'm going to purchase another bike. Here are the choice's.

BMW s1000RR
Aprilla RSV4
Another Duc
KTM RC8

Which would you guy's pic? I'm leading twords the bimmer.

#7 ·
I had an 08 1098 and an 04 GSXR600 side-by-side in the garage for a while. Not really even worth having two bikes and dealing with maintenance, etc for two bikes so similar in purpose.

For the second one, I'd say get something like a supermotard or something bigger like a GS/Multistrada/VStrom for touring.

#9 ·
For the second one, I'd say get something like a supermotard or something bigger like a GS/Multistrada/VStrom for touring.
Yes, what he said.

Personally, I would consider a bike that would be better for longer distances, schelping items, riding 2-up or a track bike.

Class of bikes to choose from:
SuperMotard
Naked
Streettracker/Standard
Sport Tourers
Cruiser.

#11 ·
For total fun, get a Hypermotard or a triumph street triple

Trackbike get a triumph daytona assuming you like something out of the ordinary (you have a duke afterall)

If it must be one of the bikes in your list I would be more interested in the aprilia than the others

#16 ·
I'd get the s1000RR as a track bike

#17 ·
Get a Bimota and keep it in the living room.

#21 ·
Cheap Bimmer?!

I would walk right past the bimmer(looks cheap & jap like) & get an RC8 or...a dedicated track bike :abduct:

Keep the rubber side down Bro :D

#22 ·
I'm surprised you find the BMW cheap looking. It is a bit odd however. :)

I seriously considered buying one and spent a couple of hours really digging into one at a local dealer. Very nicely made and intelligently designed.

#23 ·
I like the look but...

To put my comments in perspective, I compared the new BMW 1000RR to they're own SP2...now I realize they're is a substantial price difference, but the 1000RR "looks" cheaper.:abduct:

As far as looks go, I like it a lot :D

Just my 2 cents Bro
Whichever you choose my friend, keep the rubber side down :)

#24 ·
I agree with most all of the above- Something different would be cool, add to your motorcycle "Quiver" if you will.

I would love to have a 10' Multi S sitting next to the SB, nifty hard bags and all that business

#25 ·
I had a 1098 that I upgraded to an 1198S. My second bike is a BMW K1300S.
Great sport touring, plenty of power and comfort. However, if you want to get a bit crazy with it, its pretty good. The two bikes are kinda like a Corbra, loud violent and rough, and the K1300S, more akin to a Turbo Porsche, fast, comfortable and classy.

#27 ·
I use a Kaw Versys for around town and as a grocery getter. Kind of a UJM, it has USD forks, and essentially the same engine as a Ninja 650R. I run a Leo Vince slip-on and a PC-V with Autotune. It makes around 65 hp, and I get about 50 mpg.

#33 · (Edited)
I would get something different, unless you plan to make one of them a track bike. Given above scenario, I'd opt for the S1000RR. I rode it while attending the Keith Code California Superbike School at the VIR and found it to be an animal, but also smooth and very forgiving!!! I almost regretted getting the 1198 just a month prior. I still love and adore my duc, but BMW has a very impressive impressive.

#34 ·
Sounds like the senescence is to buy a different style of bike.... Maybe I'll look at the tunno, or the monster, or street fighter.

#36 ·
The BMW engine/trans is self-destructing, so not one of those.

The Aprilia has had it's share of major issues, and not all have been worked out yet, including the gas tank distortion issues like Ducati.

I think the KTM would be a better choice than those two, but with the great variety of Ducs available now, I'd get one of them over all the rest.

#38 ·
The BMW engine/trans is self-destructing, so not one of those.

The Aprilia has had it's share of major issues, and not all have been worked out yet, including the gas tank distortion issues like Ducati.

I think the KTM would be a better choice than those two, but with the great variety of Ducs available now, I'd get one of them over all the rest.
what major issues?

#41 ·
I feel very fortunate. I have the two bikes I want: an '02 Bayliss 998S and an 05 SS1000DS. But, if I had to sell off both for just one bike (a different question, I know.) I'd probably look for a 998 biposto or a 999 biposto. But either one would have to have a mono extra tail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.