Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

04 versus 05 999 running temps

734 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  B_Cebrian 
#1 ·
I have an 05 999 with full termi pipe (and ecu). My buddy has an 04 with half-pipe. Both bikes run great (no stalling, pull hard, etc.). But mine runs a consistent 10 degrees hotter at virtually all times, and I can't figure out if (a) that's a normal difference, or (b) if it indicates a problem with either bike (more likely mine lean, I suppose). This difference occurs both on street and on track. Mine isn't "too" hot, as after 20 minutes it was running about 215 degrees on a hot (95 degree) day at the track. But his was 205 under EXACTLY the same conditions. We've noticed the same issue whether running stock anti-freeze or, now, water-wetter. Not a big deal, but I thought someone here my be able to suggest a reason for the difference. Thanks. Ed

#3 ·
not an answer, but more data. All 3 999 I have owned, all year 2005, one an "S" ran at 215 when "hot", that was an average high temp. At times they went to 225 but not for long, the fans seems to work well in reducing standing heat

#4 ·
Maybe tuning.....it seems so little....you never know how sensors react......funny thing, my 03' 999 when it had the full 54mm Termignoni ran about 10+ degrees cooler than my friend's 04' 999 w/ stock exhaust. I took the full system off and installed a Termi slip on, compared temps again and found we are w/ in a degree or 2. Since my 102mm bore kit I have yet to compare temps again-that will be interesting....although his underseat temps still run much hotter than my mine. Probably due to the slip-on. When those cats light off forget about cool running!

#6 ·
Was there a HP increase from 04 to 05. Both same coolant and mixture. Does his bike make more power. More power more heat. Its the law.

#7 ·
Yes, the 05 base got the hotter "s" cams. As I understand it, it was the same compression year-to-year (11.4:1). So maybe the cam explains it. I think the pipe added some hp too, though not sure if that would add temp. For sure my bike has more seat-o-pants juice, mostly notable at 7k+.

#8 ·
Like was said before, diffrences in model tuning, cams, exhaust systems plus instrument error of up to 3%. 10 degrees is nothing to worry about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.