Fuel Pump O Ring grr! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 7:13 pm   #1 (permalink)

Fuel Pump O Ring grr!

Bike just came back from paint, and the painter removed the fuel pump assembly. I'm going by the manual, and it says there should be an O ring in the housing, right where it fits with the tank. There isn't. I've emailed him but I'm guessing it's gone missing.

If that's the case, can I use liquid gasket stuff on it? It DOES appear there was some yellowish transparent gunk at the tank-pump meeting location, so maybe Ducati switched to a liquid/rubbery stuff?

I really don't want to have to wait weeks and weeks to ride my bike...blah.

Thanks guys!
2008 1098s mods (IIRC): Dymag CF Rims, Braketech ceramic CMCs, Discaccati rear rotor/caliper, RAM magnesium swingarm, magnesium full 30mm offset triples, FGRT803s, TTX, EVR slipper+slave, magnesium clutch side cover, STM Ti thong, Brembo RCS levers (both sides), Speedymoto EVO waterpump, Corse silicone rad lines, Ti front axle+clutch bolts+caliper bolts, all bodywork CarbonDry carbon fiber, Leo Vince Ti full, Nemesis, Rizoma barends, rearsets, Oberon signals, Evoluzione eliminator, some other shit I don't know the names for.
shawngibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 7:26 pm   #2 (permalink)

proper o-ring is a must.every ducati dealer should have the part in stock as its a common service item.search here for cross over o-rings but do so knowing it must be an exact match or gas could start leaking over a hot motor at the worst of times
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 7:35 pm   #3 (permalink)

Gotta use the O-ring! Or you will leak! Most purchase new ones from the dealer. I have used white-grease on the O-ring/sealing surface, TAKEN my time, as it is super tight fit for sure, start one side and push carefully............
2006 Ducati 999s (Sold)
2001 Ducati 996 SPS (Crashed)
2001 Ducati 748-890 (Sold)
1997 Ducati 748 (Sold)
1993 Ducati 888SPO (Crashed)
Too much Jap or British crap to mention!
mbevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 7:36 pm   #4 (permalink)

Crappy. Thanks guys, I'll call dealer in the morning. Fingers crossed they have one in stock...
2008 1098s mods (IIRC): Dymag CF Rims, Braketech ceramic CMCs, Discaccati rear rotor/caliper, RAM magnesium swingarm, magnesium full 30mm offset triples, FGRT803s, TTX, EVR slipper+slave, magnesium clutch side cover, STM Ti thong, Brembo RCS levers (both sides), Speedymoto EVO waterpump, Corse silicone rad lines, Ti front axle+clutch bolts+caliper bolts, all bodywork CarbonDry carbon fiber, Leo Vince Ti full, Nemesis, Rizoma barends, rearsets, Oberon signals, Evoluzione eliminator, some other shit I don't know the names for.
shawngibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 7:49 pm   #5 (permalink)

Try desmotimes.com ... I got one in just a few days!
'97 Ducati 916 - retired
duc995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 11:42 pm   #6 (permalink)

Grease up the o-ring and the tank-lip real good, and try to keep it square as you press it home.

Some say to use the mounting bolts to pull it in, turning each bolt one turn at a time, but I could never get the mounting bolts to bite before the assembly slipped in with the grease.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 12:17 am   #7 (permalink)
The Road Beckons...

If no other place, contact DucatiDepo.com, they are the Ducati "Chop-Shop" but usually have most of those awkward parts on hand.

-Alex

2008 Hypermotard 1100 S "Lola" - (SOLD)
2006 Multistrada 1000S DS "Duckie"

Follow me on Descubre-La-Vida Blog
WakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 2:47 am   #8 (permalink)

Yep you need an O-Ring and lube both the O-ring and the mating surface of the tank. I have always had good luck using a few longer bolts in the threads and gently eased them in little by little. If you are careful it will drop right in - be careful though because it is really easy to pinch, or cut the O-ring, and then you'll have leaks and have to go buy another one. Don't ask me how I know

Good Luck!
DFresh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 2:51 am   #9 (permalink)
Moderator, Do not mess with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFresh1 View Post
Yep you need an O-Ring and lube both the O-ring and the mating surface of the tank. I have always had good luck using a few longer bolts in the threads and gently eased them in little by little. If you are careful it will drop right in - be careful though because it is really easy to pinch, or cut the O-ring, and then you'll have leaks and have to go buy another one. Don't ask me how I know

Good Luck!
Thats how i do it..

Longer bolts then the mounting ones and then one turn per bolt until its in, then replace one bolt at a time. I use petroleum jelly instead of grease, but it should work either way.

//amullo
Former bikes: -97 748SP, -98 916SPS, -04 BMW F650CS
amullo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 6:34 am   #10 (permalink)

your going to crap that o-ring for the 1098 fuel pump is like $70 dollars, the dealer should have it in stock
masterrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement