924 with 1098 front end - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 9:20 pm   #1 (permalink)

924 with 1098 front end

Well its finally coming all back together now. I did a bunch of work over the past two years to the bike. Had it and Ducati Indy and they did the 924 kit full Zard and rear Ohlins and Brembo MC's. Bike should be making a few more ponies now that everything has been running a few miles. Moved across country with the bike all apart and started putting it all back together finally out here. While it was apart I did the 1098 stock front end Showa's along with the 1098 Monoblocs and had the 25mm Ohlins fork kit installed. Finally got the bike all back together with some new for me 999S all black bodywork. I've still got a few things in mind: bike needs to be really cleaned hard, Microtec ECU with auto-tune, full Leo-Vince 57mm system, and although it sounds cheesy going to add some red lines to the rims like the 1098S has. I think that it will set the wheels off well with the red frame. If you have any questions just shoot, the front end swap is supper easy and wow what a difference those brakes make! Enjoy!

Advertisement

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 12:37 am   #2 (permalink)

How easy was that fork swap? I did one on a monster 620 from a GSXR 750 and had to get a few parts made. After that I have no desire to "make" parts again. Would is be a simple swap? As I am about to join the elite group of 924's I would like to have suspension, and more importantly the brakes, to go with the power.

Mike
nomonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 1:06 am   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomonster View Post
How easy was that fork swap? I did one on a monster 620 from a GSXR 750 and had to get a few parts made. After that I have no desire to "make" parts again. Would is be a simple swap? As I am about to join the elite group of 924's I would like to have suspension, and more importantly the brakes, to go with the power.

Mike
All you need to get is a 1098/848 front end. Then you can either get the 1098 monoblocs or the 848 brakes, no need for spacers. Brake lines are different. A new 1098 front axle and 1098/848 front mudgaurd. Use your stock wheel and rotors and there you have it. It fits right into your exsisting tripple tree.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 6:41 am   #4 (permalink)

That turned out great! Thanks for sharing!
"We are Americans. We must not allow, nor shall we tolerate, the actions of criminals, no matter how heinous the crimes, to prompt politicians to enact laws that will infringe upon the liberties of responsible citizens who have broken no laws." - Linn County Sheriff Tim Mueller
BMiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 3:36 pm   #5 (permalink)

Looking good there DucLife! Glad to see it ready to ride finally.
Got that thing out yet exploring the local twisties?

-A.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 6:38 pm   #6 (permalink)

I really love the red frame and black bodywork. I would have mounted the power commander somewhere else though. looks great congrats on finishing your project!!
silent-chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 8:14 pm   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abandon42S View Post
Looking good there DucLife! Glad to see it ready to ride finally.
Got that thing out yet exploring the local twisties?
-A.
Yeah, thanks. It took a minute, but I'm glad I stuck it out. Daric and I had a little heart-to-heart and worked some things out; we're good chums now. We'll see how things go later on as whether or not the bike goes back there. No twisties yet, just boring roads around here. We'll have to get together so you can show me the ropes out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent-chris View Post
I really love the red frame and black bodywork. I would have mounted the power commander somewhere else though. looks great congrats on finishing your project!!
Yeah, it was put there originally and I understand why as it would be hard to access anywhere else for later tuning. Thought about under the seat but pain in the butt later on, so for now it stays.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 9:38 pm   #8 (permalink)
ZDM
Super Senior Poster

Looks great in black and red Jeff! I would think yours would be one of a kind as Ducati didn't offer these 2 colors together for either the 999/749.
So your dyno results are first the 749 stock and then w/ the performance upgrades? Pretty impressive numbers, it must run very well.
We've discussed the ZARD exhaust previuosly. It looks like you use the Ducati OEM tail light wire encased in metal conduit correct? I guess ZARD has you cut off the attachment ears that appear on the conduit? or does ZARD give you a new piece to run the wire as LeoVince does? It just seems there is a better way to smooth the underside of the muffler cannister (i.e Termignoni) instead of having that conduit hanging down? However the ZARD is a cool and interesting exhaust. It seems to runabout 45mm from the horizontal manifold (does ZARD give you new manifolds?), then it fattens up as it goes up under the swingarm, then picks up the vertical cylinder, then splits off into inlet pipes. Looks to be at least 60mm as it goes up past the swinger. Very interesting! Looking at the dates on the dyno graph, it appears that they put your motor together in 3 days??? That looks like one great streetable motor in that bike. Very nice work Jeff!
ZDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 3:12 pm   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDM View Post
Looks great in black and red Jeff! I would think yours would be one of a kind as Ducati didn't offer these 2 colors together for either the 999/749.
So your dyno results are first the 749 stock and then w/ the performance upgrades? Pretty impressive numbers, it must run very well.
We've discussed the ZARD exhaust previuosly. It looks like you use the Ducati OEM tail light wire encased in metal conduit correct? I guess ZARD has you cut off the attachment ears that appear on the conduit? or does ZARD give you a new piece to run the wire as LeoVince does? It just seems there is a better way to smooth the underside of the muffler cannister (i.e Termignoni) instead of having that conduit hanging down? However the ZARD is a cool and interesting exhaust. It seems to runabout 45mm from the horizontal manifold (does ZARD give you new manifolds?), then it fattens up as it goes up under the swingarm, then picks up the vertical cylinder, then splits off into inlet pipes. Looks to be at least 60mm as it goes up past the swinger. Very interesting! Looking at the dates on the dyno graph, it appears that they put your motor together in 3 days??? That looks like one great streetable motor in that bike. Very nice work Jeff!
Thanks ZDM. Actually I only had to cut one of the condut mounting brakets off, the one closest to the subframe. Normally the Zard comes with another piece that mounts and goes from the tail light all the way down the pipe and covers everything up all nice and tight. You can see in the old picture that has that piece on it. I'm pretty positive that it comes with all new manifolds. I say this cause I had the pipe direct shipped to the dealer and they installed it. But if I recall correctly its all new stuff and I got all the old stuff back. Yeah, it was put together quick, I think they only had the bike a week and they did the engine, mc's, eus kit, rear shock and a few other things that quick. It was Ducati Indy that did it for me. I was just talking to a dealer out here in Portland and he's got a painter and I'm trying to decide whether or not to do the whole Ducati Testastretta 924s in red or just the 924s part in red for the stock bodywork, then the red wheel stripes will look really good.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.