Need help from trackday junkies - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:46 am   #1 (permalink)

Need help from trackday junkies

Just did my second track day on the Dark and had a blast. This is my first Duc and only experience with a twin - owned two gixxers previously.

I had the opportunity to switch bikes with a buddy for the third session and rode his '04 R6. My bike is completely stock and I haven't even tweaked the suspension so that's my next task on my to do list. However, I was much faster on the R6 than on the Duc. We were on Summit Point's Jefferson Circuit which is a 1.1 mile, short and technical course but from what I remember his R6 was a lot more flickable and seemed just as stable in the turns.

This is so frustrating!!! I plan on doing about 7-8 trackdays next season and probably won't ride on the street as much. I love what I'm riding and don't want to go back to another run-of-the-mill Japanese inline-4. Someone please help as to why this is the case.

Thanks.

-Andy P
NESBA B#10
DarkPasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:53 am   #2 (permalink)

I'm transitioning from a Kawi 600 race bike to a 1000SS. They require different riding styles, you definitely need to/can get on the gas much harder mid-turn on the twin, and it can carry more corner speed. If you have experience with GSXRs, the R6 is close to that. If you're new to the Duc, you probably have some adapting to do with your riding style.

There is no question that both a 749 and R6 can be ridden very fast in the right hands. The R6 surely has more absolute potential, but for anyone sub-AMA, you should ride what you enjoy and work on your skill and setting the bike up for you. I know that Duc's need a bunch of geometry changes to go well at the track, so perhaps you also have some setting up to do.
xseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:56 am   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

Not a surprise the R6 does better on the track you described. Technical tracks are for 600s anyway. A big improvement on your Duc besides suspension adjustments would be lighter wheels.
03 999R #189
09 1125CR Buell (sold)
07 1100S MTS (sold)
04 999S (sold)
95 916 (sold)
01 900SS (sold)
05 Honda 600RR (sold before I crashed it)
05 Honda 600RR (full Yosh, PC, totalled it)

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:04 pm   #4 (permalink)

The R6 is a great track bike, and so are just about any other Japanese Superbike, but before you give up on the Duc, make sure your suspension settings are correct - it is a world of difference. On some corners I can carry much higher speed with just a few clicks change on the compression and rebound. You also have to make sure that you have a good tight setting on the preload, particularly on the rear.

I came from a GSXR 600 and went to a 749 Dark -- the transition from inline to V-twin is a big one, and the suspension wasn't right for me initially. After a little bit of getting used-to the V-Twin's power delivery and a little experimentation on suspension, is all it took for me to truly appreciate the Duc.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 2:05 pm   #5 (permalink)

Hey Pasta,

I have the same problems with my bike being so heavy feeling and all the torque and getting it to turn. I believe mine needs to be set up for me correctly with Section8's recommendations. I'll be at Summit in August with NESBA.

NESBA #96 (I)
1998 Aprilia RS250
1998 Honda RS125
grendels_arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:43 am   #6 (permalink)

I will take my R6 over my duc anyday at the track. I love riding my R but the 6 is effortless in the corners. I could use the power of the duc on the R6. Get the suspension set up. I was going to sell my R until I did that b/c I couldn't go fast on it. Once the suspension was set up I picked up huge time. I can still ride my 6 faster but I think now it is due to riding it more on the track instead of the duc.

Mike
fastbydrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement