Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Fixing Titanium Exhaust Piping

4K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Reformedducnut 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if the piping shown below of my LV exhaust can be repaired to remove the crimped sections on the piping or am I SOL? Someone's motor let go at Thill this past weekend dumping oil all over the track and the exhaust took the blunt of the damage.

There is also a small crack where the brackets on the muffler mount to the piping that will need to be welded shut. Any shop recommendations or technical comments are appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
I just talked to them and they said that they won't do any repairs :( Short of purchasing a new system, all they could do for me is provide replace parts for the parts shown in the pictures.

#5 ·
Definitely repairable needs to be tig welded but any aftermarket exhaust shop should be able to do it . They will need the bike there as well to make everything fit just make sure to remove the battery.

#8 ·
If they'll sell you the component parts that's probably the best route... The pipe coming up the side of the bike as well as the endcap/Y-pipe going into the canister looks to be all that's bent. Add $3 worth of rivets and you're back in business. No?

#9 ·
Yea I also thought that ypipe going into the canister could be purchased separately, but according to LV they are not separate pieces and I have to buy a whole new muffler as well as the pipe coming up that connects to the ypipe.

#10 ·
If you are in San Jose, there are a number of race/specialty shops that could probably do it. I haven't worked there in several years, but there were a bunch of race shops off of McGlincy Lane in Campbell, I'm sure there are a bunch of new places that could do the job for you.

#14 · (Edited)
Oh Boy!! that is a big headache ,even new pipes are a pita to install .
Does it have to be titanium ?
To save some $$ a speciality shop might be able to fit some Stainless Steel parts in its place . The joints where the smaller fits into a larger pipe could be siliconed to make up for any different rate of expansion, Or there could be a couple of sets of flanges installed .
There might even be some pre bent parts that you can mix and match to Jerry Rig it , You might get lucky ...50/50 chance
How important is looks ? Anything can be fixed .

One thing for sure you are going to need a talented person who knows what he is doing with Patience = $$$

Being a pipefiter for 30+ years .I reccommend letting the experts handle the job...Lots of options its all about cash .

The Y piece has enough straight pipe to be cut and another pieces slipped over , the other piece cut and new bend installed You can save it

#22 ·
"Coffin " the Y piece if you have to ,after you remove the dinged up piece , you can even remove the 45s and reweld it close to the muffler, easier place to make the final weld= more room . By coffin I mean split the Y along its sides ( 3 cuts ,outer sides and the inner angle ) sos you have a top and bottom pieces.
Then it is a "simple matter of "Finagellin" with a littlt bit of good olde fashioned Blacksmithing...

If it fits afterwards I wouldn't even mention if it looks a little rough , Couple more springs maybe or a set of flanges added amd you are back in buisness...Without spending HUGE $$$

Finding the right person , see if he can show you his previous work ,ask him how he is going to do it .You should be comfortable that he is able to do it ...Hope you end up Pleasently surprised at the outcome. I would love to see the finished product...Smooth Sailing

#26 ·
When I bought my 748 one of the spring hooks on the collector pipe was broken off. The welder I brought it too said the metal was a high carbon steel similar to what high quality knives are made from. I didn't even known what it was until he looked at it. I bought the bike with Sil Motor cans, I'm not sure where the OEM stufff ends.

#27 · (Edited)
It was welded once ,I think it is really not that bad ,Ugly yes in that condiition, I think it would of snapped if too hard ..Finding the right person will be the hard part.
I mean look where it has folded ,no signs of a crack, looks like you could cut the offending part off split it and rework it then reround it ... Keep your hopes up

#29 ·
I'm a welder by trade and you could fix this. But you would have to cut off the damaged areas and reform another piece and tig weld it back on. It could be fixed but the price would be up there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.