Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

My 996 sat too long and won't start

8K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  sburns2421 
#1 ·
Long story short my 996 ended up sitting for an extended period. I'd start it occasionally but eventually when I tried to start it, the engine would crank but wouldn't ignite. Tried over and over, slight burnt smell. So I stopped trying and had the battery on a tender. At some point the fuel pump no longer primed when I turned the key in the ignition (panel still lights up).

SO, I bought a new pump but after I replace that, what should I be looking at to diagnose why the bike stopped firing? Spark plugs? Did gas sitting too long foul the engine? Any help or tips are appreciated. The bike was babied, it's an 00 with 7k miles, had the 6k service around 5200 I think.

#2 ·
There are 3 basic things an engine needs to run. Air, fuel and spark. The way to solve non-starting problems is to be methodical. First identify if your problem is air, fuel or spark related starting with the easiest things to check first. Is there fuel in the tank? Is there anything preventing air from getting into throttle bodies (rodents love making nests in airboxes and intakes)? Is there spark? While it is possible that old fuel somehow is preventing the fuel injectors from working it is unlikely. A simple test for spark is to pull a spark plug cap, put a plug in it, place the ground of the plug against the head and crank the engine. If you see spark, you've got spark. If not, you need to figure out why you don't have spark. The simplest reasons for not having spark are things like the kill switch is on, or the side stand interlock is bad, etc. If you've got spark and the air intake and airbox are open, then you're going to need to go through the fuel system.

Given your description of how you got to where you are, my money is on an interlock problem. Good luck finding your problem.

#4 ·
Thanks, I'll give those a try. About the spark plug, I should pull the head off, put a different plug in then place the ground of the plug on the head of the other spark plug?

About the interlock, can it go bad if it was removed with a bypass? Thanks.

#5 ·
Either way. If you pull the plug out of the head and test and get spark, then you know absolutely that spark isn't the problem. If you pull the lead off the plug and put a different plug in the lead and test and get a spark there is still a chance that the plug in the head is bad and that's why you don't have spark. Plugs typically don't go bad from sitting, but there is always a chance. One is an easier test and the other a more definitive test.

#6 ·
Since you will be changing the pump you will drain the tank. Change the fuel filter at the same time and examine the hoses inside the tank. Replace both if they look questionable at all (Gates makes 12 inch section designed to be immersed in gasoline, about $30 each).

The slight burnt smell was probably not from the pump itself. Possibly the pump relay. Maybe the regulator-rectifier. Maybe the wiring somewhere in this system. Examine everything you can before proceeding. I had an R-R go bad just from sitting once on an old Kawasaki, and it was basically a short circuit once I turned on the ignition with a fresh battery it smoked the wiring. So best to look for any evidence of burning you can find before going any further.

When you do go to start it again, make sure your battery is charged and if it sat discharged while the bike was sitting, probably replace it and make sure that new one is fully charged. Dump a full bottle of Chevron Techron with a couple of gallons of gas into the tank. If the injectors are marginally clogged, running the bike with high concentration of cleaner will definitely help.

#8 ·
Assume you checked all the fuses already? Was the burnt smell electrical? Very possible you toasted a relay or starter solenoid.

Regarding the pump... lift the tank, without taking it off. Pull the connector for the fuel pump and check for voltage with key and switch on. If you have 12v, then open the tank and check the pump. If not, it's a pita to open and close back up. I'd also say, if you do this, replace the fuel quick disconnects with metal ones as well as the plastic nut on the bottom of the tank.

#9 ·
Start with the fuel pump relay. The burnt smell could easily have been it failing, they are cheap to buy (I mean really cheap!), easy to locate (under the seat on a 996, easy to switch out. Total time expended 2 minutes.:wink2:

Other culprits are rust in the tank clogging the fuel filter (filter is cheap too). This means removing the pump assembly from the tank, which is not difficult but re-installing is likely to see you wreck more than one of the large pump base o-rings, so buy in at least half-a-dozen in advance (see various threads on this site for advice).

Another easy fix is to follow the earth lead from the battery to where it is connected to the top of the gearbox behind the vertical cylinder head, undo the terminal and clean it up with a wire brush etc. - that is assuming the bolt will come undone, good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.