1098s Budget Track Bike Build - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 2 Post By IM-805
  • 1 Post By Agro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

Garage
1098s Budget Track Bike Build

So i have done a few track days and coaching days on my 2007 1098s Tricolore and have really enjoyed them...other than the thought of dropping and wrecking it.

I figured it was time to look into a track only bike, so i started scouring the auctions for an economic write off to transform into a track day special and possibly eventually get into some club racing. After a few months of looking and unsuccessful bidding i came across this beauty at an auction local to me and ended up winning it for $3881.11 (AUD) including fee's.

Got her home and proceeded to tear her down to see how bad the damage was. I was pleasantly surprised that it was mostly superficial. The only downside to the bike was that it was missing the key. So along comes facebook to the rescue, i posted in the couple of Ducati clubs i am in about the bike and its previous rego hoping the previous owner could be located and either had the key or a spare. He came forward and offered me the key for nothing, although i have him a bottle of scotch for it.

Once i had the key, she fired straight up...fantastic! I then formed a list of parts i needed:
  • Radiator
  • Water Pump Cover
  • Clutch hub (broken lugs)
  • Tyres
  • Gear Lever
  • Race Glass
  • Levers

Once again i reached out to my local clubs and workshops for their unwanted parts in return for beer money and other than the gear lever managed to get everything used at great prices. Some other parts like the exhaust mid section i was able to use some of the stock parts i had removed off my Tri.

She is booked in to the workshop next Monday for a peace of mind belt service and to have the shift fork looked at (trouble shifting back down gears).

Total spend so far including items bought plus some of the parts i was able to save and sell on eBay is $4835.61 (AUD)

Here she is:

SS904 and zambony like this.

2008 1098S - Track Bike, 2007 1098S - Tricolore, 2005 ST3 - Black

Last edited by IM-805; Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:47 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 12:09 am

Looking good, and good find.
I use the Woodcraft wiring harness to eliminate the ignition. You take the antennae for the immobilizer and zip tie the one key you have to it in two places good and tight. Then tuck it under the bike somewhere. Simply control the on-off on the bike with the right red button. I also added a lanyard so that if I crash, it kills the engine. Cheap things, both for like $60 OTD.
IM-805 likes this.

2007 Ducati 1098S (Track Only)
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 (Sold)
2005 Honda CRF450R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode