03 999S, Exhaust jungle! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 6:20 am Thread Starter

03 999S, Exhaust jungle!

Hi guys! This is a new to me 999s from 2003. I'm spending the winter stripping it and making it as pristine as possible.

It's an EU Spec with "deep sump" engine and the old swingarm.

I'm looking to buy a used Termignoni system or slip-on for it. It seems to be a jungle finding out what fits.. So if anyone would have the patience to explain this complexity to me, i'd be extremely grateful

Last edited by Jpeg; Mar 19th, 2017 at 6:27 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 9:40 pm

You have a rare situation nowadays .You need exhaust specific for a deep sump and the original style swing arm . Made as a slip on with the front pipe and muffler , or a full 54 mm or a very rare 57 mm . The full systems also have the option of a titainium muffler . Full systems can be identified with the pipes being round by the swing arm rather than the flattened ( banana ) style . There is a chance the 54 mm from a newer style can fit , and also a 749 ( shallow sump) but the newer will shurly sit out a ways from the swing arm

giallo 949- impractical,irrational,irresistible ,13 txt pro 280,2015 beta 300rr race all in all ,my version of garage nirvana
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
You have a rare situation nowadays .You need exhaust specific for a deep sump and the original style swing arm . Made as a slip on with the front pipe and muffler , or a full 54 mm or a very rare 57 mm . The full systems also have the option of a titainium muffler . Full systems can be identified with the pipes being round by the swing arm rather than the flattened ( banana ) style . There is a chance the 54 mm from a newer style can fit , and also a 749 ( shallow sump) but the newer will shurly sit out a ways from the swing arm
These are just the EU spec 999s, which has this configuration (first type swingarm + deepsump). So Essentially "all" systems and variations of slip-on should fit?

Thanks for your reply

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 10:02 pm

All 999s bikes are deep sump ,( no such thing as euro spec ) 03-04 had the grey swing arm , 03 R is same . I would think your going to have a far better chance of a newer system fitting old than the other way around . Slip on is likely the easiest to source , and it does cure the heat generated by deleting the cats . The older style full systems defiantly look better imo .

giallo 949- impractical,irrational,irresistible ,13 txt pro 280,2015 beta 300rr race all in all ,my version of garage nirvana
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

Alight, thanks for your reply! What's the major difference sound and performance wise between a 54mm system and a slip-on?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 3:35 am

generally the full system should make 7 - 10 hp more at the top end. the zard systems work quite well from memory, but i don't know if they still exist or not.

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 4:20 am Thread Starter

Thanks! Anyone knows numbers the slip-on will provide?

Sound wise, are they exactly the same?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 7:17 am
Matt

Need Jussi to weigh in here as he knows these well. As he helped me understand, there wasn't a slip-on version offered by Termi. These essentially came in a 54 mm asymmetrical system and a 57 mm full system. The 54 mm system replaced the pipe to the horizontal cylinder with a larger 54 mm pipe (no cat) while keeping the smaller stock pipe to the vertical cylinder. I've seen where people have called the 54 mm system a slip-on (or a half system), but the 54 mm option does indeed replace the pipe to the horizontal cylinder. The 57 mm system replaced both pipes with larger 57 mm pipes. These systems came in various versions for grey swingarm vs. black swingarm, deep sump vs. not, stainless can vs. titanium can, etc. For the 57 mm system there were two different styles of pipes, one that had a round section near the right rearset and another that had a flattened section (nicknamed a "banana" system)...the latter to help with clearance between the swingarm and the fairing.

CURRENTLY: 1993 888 SPO, 1995 Varese 916, 1995 916 Corsa, 1996 916 SPA (x2), 1997 916 SPS #13, 2000 748RS Race, 2001 748/853S Race, 2001 996R, 2002 998RS ex-Picotte, 2005 999R
IN SEARCH OF: 1997 748, 748R, 916 SP/SP2/SP3, 996RS and another: 916/955/996 Corsa/Racing, 998RS, 1997 916 SPS

Last edited by XLR8R; Mar 20th, 2017 at 7:45 am.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 9:39 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8R View Post
Need Jussi to weigh in here as he knows these well. As he helped me understand, there wasn't a slip-on version offered by Termi. These essentially came in a 54 mm asymmetrical system and a 57 mm full system. The 54 mm system replaced the pipe to the horizontal cylinder with a larger 54 mm pipe (no cat) while keeping the smaller stock pipe to the vertical cylinder. I've seen where people have called the 54 mm system a slip-on (or a half system), but the 54 mm option does indeed replace the pipe to the horizontal cylinder. The 57 mm system replaced both pipes with larger 57 mm pipes. These systems came in various versions for grey swingarm vs. black swingarm, deep sump vs. not, stainless can vs. titanium can, etc. For the 57 mm system there were two different styles of pipes, one that had a round section near the right rearset and another that had a flattened section (nicknamed a "banana" system)...the latter to help with clearance between the swingarm and the fairing.
The asymmetrical system is what is generally called the slip-on, it does come with a replacement pipe for the front cylinder since the OEM pipe houses a cat.
The asymmetrical Termignoni can has two pipes of different diameter and length sticking out of it.
The mm of asymmetric system is irrelevant since there are no variations in diameter available. The vertical pipe differs from horizontal one in diameter and length.
The asymmetric system comes in variation Deep / shallow sump, and grey/black swingarm

The symmetrical system comes in 2 different pipe diameters, 54 and 57mm, generally speaking the 54 was more intended for 749, however I have read of people using it on 999 without loss of power.
Canisters for both are dimension wise identical but available in SS or Ti.
The canisters have two identical holes in them (no pipes sticking out of them.)
Here the variations are again Deep/shallow sump , black/grey swingarm.
The banana stye pipe is only for deep sump / black swingarm
round pipes can be deep sump / black swing arm ( R versions ) or Deep sump/grey swing arm ( R and S versions )
or Shallow sump,grey swingarm (base version)

So basically when buying full / symmetrical system it is of utmost importance to know what kind of swing arm and sump it was made for.
Otherwise it just won't fit.
When buying a asymmetrical system, it is of lesser importance since you could have your cat removed out of the OEM pipe.

Both came with the DP filters and a DP ECU.
Running the systems without the DP ECU or custom mapping results in too lean mixture and potential engine damage.

Why so serious?
2006 999S

Last edited by Imperiumdx; Mar 20th, 2017 at 11:17 am.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 9:50 am Thread Starter

That was a VERY nice post, thank you! Are you able to use a 54mm designed for the 05-06 swingarm on a 03 999s (old swingarm & deepsump) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode