Maintaining Lithium Batteries on Ducatis - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By Millennium Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2017, 9:42 am Thread Starter
Site Sponsors

Maintaining Lithium Batteries on Ducatis

I have a 2012 Ducati 848EVO with a built 1098 motor and I work for a Lithium-Ion battery company Ballistic Performance Components. I ran into two problems with my Ducati. The first was the OEM immobilizer is a huge parastic draw on the battery, especially with a Lithium-Ion battery with less amp/hour capacity. If you want your lightweight battery to last in your Ducati, you must run some sort of maintainer. Lead-Acid based trickle chargers have a habit of keeping Lithium-Ion batteries at maximum voltage all the time. This wears them out quickly. This is why we developed EVO Power System with our partners at Optimate. EVO Power System comes with everything in one box to charge, maintain and monitor your EVO3 battery for maximum battery life and power.

The second problem was finding a battery that enough pop to crank my built 1098 motor and still fit the OEM battery case. We developed our EVX16 Series around the OEM Ducati battery sizes so no modification is required and it has as much as 360 Burst Cranking Amps.

If you have any questions about Lithium batteries (ours or other brands) in Ducatis, please let me know. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Here is a cool little video on the EVO Power System and some pics of my Duc.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1IMG_1792.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	863.3 KB
ID:	791817   Click image for larger version

Name:	1IMG_1778.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	890.6 KB
ID:	791825   Click image for larger version

Name:	1IMG_1829.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	791833   Click image for larger version

Name:	1IMG_1832.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	649.2 KB
ID:	791841   Click image for larger version

Name:	1IMG_1833.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	786.2 KB
ID:	791849  

moto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Why can't someone make a lithium battery that lifts the leads when voltage goes below or above the safety level prior to permanently destroying the battery?

2006 999
2002 M750
2001 M900
1997 748
1996 900ss/CR
1995 900ss/SP
1995 M900
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2017, 5:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfguygrif View Post
Why can't someone make a lithium battery that lifts the leads when voltage goes below or above the safety level prior to permanently destroying the battery?
Ultrabatt multiMIGHTY

| Ducati sbk 848 2007 | Ducati sbk 848 EVO 2013 |

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2017, 8:51 am Thread Starter
Site Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfguygrif View Post
The technology exists. The issues is cost and durability. When faced with a choice of spending more on a battery that has technology that prevents damage to the battery from abuse, the customer typically chooses simply not to abuse the battery. :-)

Starter batteries in power sports vehicles work as a component in a charging/starting system. The voltage regulator in the system prevents the battery from becoming overcharged (when working correctly) and the charging system maintains the battery (if working correctly) while in use. The only opportunity for damage when used in a system (if working correctly) like this the drain while the system is not being used. We offset this by providing a ultra high quality lithium charger as part of our EVO Power System.

If for some reason the charging system has a problem(overcharge or undercharge) or the battery becomes discharged due to a parasitic draw, the Health Monitor gives the owner an "at a glance" indication of the undercharge or overcharge condition and the situation can be corrected before the battery becomes damaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode