Ducati to Replace Panigale with V4 Superbike - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 457 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2017, 7:41 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Ducati to Replace Panigale with V4 Superbike

CEO Claudio Domenicali just confirmed Ducati will build a V4 Superbike for the consumer market, according to Motorcycle News. This bike will replace the Panigale first on the street, then on the track in leagues like World Superbike.

Speaking to reporters after the livestream reveal of it's new MotoGP bikes, Domenicali said Ducati will continue to race the Panigale in WSB this year and in 2018, according to Motomatters.com editor David Emmett.

``So chances are we will see a new Ducati V4 Superbike in 2018, race it in 2019 or 2020,'' Emmett said on Twitter. He added, ``Domenicali said it would be at a normal, premium-Superbike price. My guess is tens of thousands, not hundreds of thousands.''

This is exciting for so many reasons!

1. The Panigale will now be an end-of-an-era bike, as the last V-twin Ducati Superbike.
2. Ducati can now take on Aprilia with smaller, more powerful engines.
3. This could easily bleed into the Supernaked category, and the Monster needs it.

1999 M900 City, 2008 S4RS Tricolore, 2013 1199 ABS (RIP), 2014 MTS 1200S PP, 2015 Diavel Carbon, 2016 Panigale R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 457 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2017, 8:10 am

That would be the day I buy another sportbike.
post #3 of 457 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2017, 8:36 am Thread Starter

i'm not selling my PAnigale, but I will be very interested to see this! I've always wanted an Aprilia for that V4 sound, and now I'll be able to buy a Ducati instead.

Not to mention how much more MotoGP technology will make its way into consumer bikes this way.
Warp Racer likes this.

1999 M900 City, 2008 S4RS Tricolore, 2013 1199 ABS (RIP), 2014 MTS 1200S PP, 2015 Diavel Carbon, 2016 Panigale R

post #4 of 457 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2017, 9:29 am

Garage
Just my guess as we have discussed on ducati.ms and elsewhere. If Domenicali says it will debut in 2018 and raced in 2019 that means it will be November 2018 at Intermot as a 2019 model year.

My guess is that the only V4 that first year will be the "R" version. $45k US price in other words.

The standard and "S" models come for the 2020 model year with prices higher than the 1299 is today. $21,999 and $26,495 respectively is my guess.

He is letting us know so we can start saving
Warp Racer, showerfan and aayp like this.
post #5 of 457 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2017, 9:36 am

Garage
post #6 of 457 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2017, 10:05 am Thread Starter

they reference a ``1299 Panigale R'' and i was like -- holy shit! they made an R version of the 1299?

but they meant the regular R, i'm sure.

post #7 of 457 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2017, 10:37 am

Wow, coming full circle.

The first company to build a V-4 (mid '60s) has come back around to it.

Awesome.

It would be nice to see them resurrect the "Apollo" name for the new one.

The Apollo at the Ducati museum.

'95 M900, '87 750 F1b, '95 GL1500, '06 620/800 MiniStrada...
I think my heart valves are desmodromically activated...

Last edited by Chuckracer; Jan 20th, 2017 at 11:48 am.
post #8 of 457 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2017, 10:51 am

To me, a twin is better for real-world riding, and is the thing that makes Ducati the best bike to actually buy and ride. The only 2-cyl competition is KTM and MotoGuzzi, and both aren't really direct, especially in the sportbike/superbike realm. EBR, too, if they can get off the ground and become a stable company.

You can argue about what makes a Ducati unique, what is the essence. Trellis frames? Dry clutches? Desmo valves? I'd say the core feature is seriously fast 2-cyl bikes.

If Ducati does this, I hope they keep a good line of 2-cyl fast bikes as well. If they go fully for 4-cyl sportbikes, I'll miss them.

PhilB
John, vanduc996, Zixxer2Go and 7 others like this.

1993 Ducati Monster M900, 257K miles (so far)
post #9 of 457 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2017, 11:11 am

What PhilB said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoncer View Post
To me, a twin is better for real-world riding, and is the thing that makes Ducati the best bike to actually buy and ride. The only 2-cyl competition is KTM and MotoGuzzi, and both aren't really direct, especially in the sportbike/superbike realm. EBR, too, if they can get off the ground and become a stable company.

You can argue about what makes a Ducati unique, what is the essence. Trellis frames? Dry clutches? Desmo valves? I'd say the core feature is seriously fast 2-cyl bikes.

If Ducati does this, I hope they keep a good line of 2-cyl fast bikes as well. If they go fully for 4-cyl sportbikes, I'll miss them.

PhilB
ducatimike, RedSquare and Gandalf like this.

'11 SF 1098S, '12 Tuono V4, '15 1190R
post #10 of 457 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by showerfan View Post
CEO Claudio Domenicali just confirmed Ducati will build a V4 Superbike for the consumer market, according to Motorcycle News. This bike will replace the Panigale first on the street, then on the track in leagues like World Superbike.

Speaking to reporters after the livestream reveal of it's new MotoGP bikes, Domenicali said Ducati will continue to race the Panigale in WSB this year and in 2018, according to Motomatters.com editor David Emmett.

``So chances are we will see a new Ducati V4 Superbike in 2018, race it in 2019 or 2020,'' Emmett said on Twitter. He added, ``Domenicali said it would be at a normal, premium-Superbike price. My guess is tens of thousands, not hundreds of thousands.''

This is exciting for so many reasons!

1. The Panigale will now be an end-of-an-era bike, as the last V-twin Ducati Superbike.
2. Ducati can now take on Aprilia with smaller, more powerful engines.
3. This could easily bleed into the Supernaked category, and the Monster needs it.
Interesting. As the premier maker of V-twin sportbikes, one wonders why Ducati would choose this path for the future. There is nothing you can do with a V-four you can't do with a V-twin - there's no magic in 4 cylinders. More powertrain complication in exchange for more power/liter. This is like Harley ditching their 45-degree V-twin for a V-four lineup. I wonder about Ducati's motivation with this change in company direction and how they'll treat the rest of their product portfolio - little by little they'll all change to V-fours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode