Should I get an '09 848 or '09 zx6r? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 3:17 am   #1 (permalink)

Red face Should I get an '09 848 or '09 zx6r?

As soon as you're done being appalled by comparison in the question, I have two concerns. I've been riding my bosses CBR 600rr for the past 3 months and before that I bought a 250 to learn on first and it's been a year. So now I want to buy a larger bike now and it's either the new zx6r that's getting pretty good reviews or it's the 848 which I've been dreaming about for a year now LOL

I work right across the Beverly Hills Ducati shop and I walk in all the time just to look So I really really want the 848. The only thing that's holding be back on making a decision for it is the weight of the bike. How does it hold up on road trips for instance? I rode my 250 to vegas and while it lost power during the raised elevation (it's not fuel injected) I had trouble on the way back home because I was hit with high speed winds and was almost blown into the guard rail, the bike weighs 330 lbs.). So I know the 848 weighs 370 I think and I'm wondering if that's enough to keep me planted if I ever run into a problem like high speed winds again. The zx6r is about 440 and I did like the weight of the CBR (which was about the same).

So I do plan on going to the track with the new bike, but riding up and down the coast of Cali is definitely on my itinerary, more so than going to the track, I want to ride it all over the place. So I just want to know if the 848 would be better suited for someone who's mostly going to only use it at the track...?

Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it.
DeftJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 3:28 am   #2 (permalink)

In all seriousness, all bikes get blown around in high winds. Taller bikes and bikes with full fairings will get impacted most.

Unless you plan to ride in high winds all the time, I would just forget about that as a criteria for selecting your next machine. You should just look for a bike that suits your riding, is affordable and perhaps be selective about when you travel on two wheels.

I've had about 4 sports bikes of various brands and no single bike was better or worst in high winds and I would certainly not choose a bike just because it carries more weight. In fact, I would probably not select any bike that was porky.
ramboronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 4:02 am   #3 (permalink)

the best advise any can give is...
go to your respective dealers and take them for a test ride.
my opinion on 1 bike will vary from another will vary from yours.
When i was younger i used to go round to car dealers with no intention to buy, just test.. loll (stupid things i did)
the ninja will cost you less for pretty much everything (service, insurance etc) if the money isnt a problem get the 848 or the slightly heavier 1198
nin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 8:17 am   #4 (permalink)

You came onto a Ducati site to get advice on making a decision between a Duc and a Jap?
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 8:49 am   #5 (permalink)

I agree that wind effects should not be a selection criteria, as all bikes get moved around in sidewinds. Also, the weights you quote are not accurate - the ZX-6, CRB600 and the 848 all weigh within about 15 pounds of each other.
rz33v4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:25 am   #6 (permalink)
DPG

In reality, if the winds are strong, any bike will get blown around. My 749R is about 40 lbs heavier than an 848 and I am all over the rode when the wind is hitting hard, that is just how it goes. And I can guarantee that 700lb harley guys are all over the rode as well. Don't let it freak you out, but do not go out in the rain when it is blowing hard, that is just a death wish. So, get what you love. I had 2 different bikes in a 5 month period before the one I have now. And the first one I only had for 2 weeks (600RR)!! You will regret not getting the 848, I can feel it.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:51 am   #7 (permalink)

I had a Nighthawk 750 @ about 370 lbs and now the 999 @ about 400 lbs and both of them get blown around with enough wind.

The weight isn't going to make a difference when it comes to high winds and it shouldn't make a difference as to what bike you get. You just need to get what's best suited for you. No one can tell you what bike is best for you, except you. What's good for one isn't always what's good for another.

I have to agree with nin01. Go to the respective dealers and test ride each one. That's the only way you can decide.

2005 999 (Beast in a Beauty)

"Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." - Sun Tzu

"There is a beast in man that needs to be exercised, not exorcised." -
Anton Szandor LaVey

"I have no problem with Jesus, it's his fan club that disturbs me." - Red Wraith
RedDuke999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:28 pm   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Go with the Ducati...then go post this on the Kawasaki board and they'll tell you to get te zx6r lol.
-1978 BMW R100/7: Classic
-1976 Honda CB750K: Cafe Racer project (on hold until the Duc is done!)
-1975 Norton Commando 850: All Original
-1948 Indian Chief....why do I keep on getting projects...
ColinMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:36 pm   #9 (permalink)

If you need top ask then you should get the Kaw

and some other bikes
some other bikes too but I sold them
jssport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 1:28 pm   #10 (permalink)

ummm.. my car moves when there are high side winds.. so any motorcycle will move. 70lbs doesn't make a difference. There are some techniques to ride through the side winds, like sticking out your knee against the direction of the wind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement