Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

748 clutch slave question

788 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Stick 
#1 ·
Haven't had much time to ride this spring, hopped on the 748 for a quick throttle therapy, clutch went soft before I could get 1/4 mile from my house. Limped back home to find the clutch master bone dry. Most of my bike wrenching tools were in my dirt bike race trailer, which happened to be at my cabin that week. So I tried to bleed the systems via clutch lever - of course didnt work. Didn't have a syringe to reverse bleed from the slave. In my haste, I broke off the bleeder screw in the banjo bolt (was a cheaper version of OEM) - so Ive ordered a new replacement. I know that the clutch master is pumping fluid down to the slave, so Im thinking that the slave cylinder o-ring crapped out (has happened on my KTM hydro clutch) I haven't had time to pull the slave off yet to see if that was the culprit for the fluid loss (only assuming at this point)

My question is: Is that o-ring a Duc only part or can I get one at our local parts house ??

Just trying to figure out any shortcuts before I go factory route. I called the local Duc dealer, and was told they did not offer a seal and/or rebuild kit

#2 ·
The first season I rode my R after rebuilding it I had to deal with a constant slow dribble of hydraulic fluid down the side of the case and onto the pipes as a result of using an O-Ring which technically matched the ID/OD and cross section diameter. Prior to the next riding season I ordered several of the OEM O-Rings (extras to keep on hand) which have worked flawlessly since. The only perceivable difference between the two would be the type of rubber used as the Red OEM rings are silicone rubber based I believe... which would mean that the durometer, e.g., flexibility of the material itself was what led to the leak.

#3 ·
Since Ive owned the bike (Jan 16) there has been a slight weepage of fluid on the floor under the bike. Not all the time, quite random actually. Didn't pinpoint the origin till you just mentioned it. One of my KTMs did the same thing right before the o-ring went south

My only hesitation was when I called the dealer. The parts guy seemed VERY new to finding parts, let alone finding Ducati clutch parts. I know that they are a relatively new Duc dealer, but its not rocket science to look up parts on a computer that has all the info.

Next question is: Anyone have a link for 748 parts fische ??

#5 ·
If you have an OEM slave, use the OEM gasket. If you have an A/M slave that came with a gasket, then use it or you can try the OEM. Ducatis are not 'bubble gum and toothpick' bikes. Do the job right with the right spec parts, or you will just be throwing money away and causing yourself frustration (worse, if it blows out and dumps brake fluid on your rear wheel).

Or, go buy a Suzihondawaki....you can bubble gum and toothpick them all day long!

#8 · (Edited)
There are always adequate shortcuts for everything(within reason of course) Just because its not an OEM part, does not mean the quality isn't there. IE: plenty of members here use Napa fuel filters vs Ducati and have absolutely no problems. I bought 2 Napa filters for $5. Some use Rotella with confidence, others wont use anything but Motul.

I have my mechanic friend change the oil in my 2013 Jeep for $32 vs the Jeep dealer getting $59.95. Same oil Same Filter

We're talking about an O-ring, not a engine major component. Some things I wouldn't dare scrimp on.

#9 ·
Parts ordered 2wks ago from local Duc dealer. Still dont have them.:mad: Ive been waiting on a $.51 o-ring. Dealer has strange business hours too, not open on Mondays, which of course is my day off

Shoulda ordered them online, but wanted to give the dealer some Biz

Note to self - lesson learned :wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.