My 999S "Isabella" - the full story - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 199 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 10:43 am

Garage
wow, my kind of project. Subscribed!!
jusutus and The MCA like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 199 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58 burst View Post
My bike ran hotter with the cf intakes , I did have to shroud to radiator .
Mine runs fine on highway speeds but riding in slow traffic tends to raise the temps a bit. Never had any problems last summer though. I will be making a small carbon air conveyor on the left side for this summer if I have the time for it. On the right side the coolant tank might act a little as a shroud.

Rearsets. Where to start...

I looked at multiple options. Gilles, Lightech, Acculign, Cycle Cat, DP, NCR etc... None of them looked "perfect" to me. Then I saw @Dennie 's RS rearsets and those really hit me. The massive carbon heel guard on the RH side and the minimalistic design along with a subtle black anodization looks absolutely epic. Mind you, one must have a decent exhaust behind that heel guard. A stock pipe looks stupid with it.

Since I only ride on the street and am used to the "normal" shift pattern the genuine RS rearsets wouldn't have been any good for me. Luckily my friend @djcalix91 had RS replica rearsets by RCM for sale and they use a normal shift pedal. They are a nice and sturdy piece of kit and are made by the same manufacturer who made the genuine Corse parts.

The pic is poor and the bigger heel guard isn't bolted on, but they are very nice. I wasn't able to use the rear brake pedal due to clearance issues with my exhaust but used the original pedal instead. Later I swapped the pedal for a different type which uses the stock master cylinder location (instead of being behind the heel guard) which I might fit later.

Around that time I was browsing eBay one night and came across a new auction for a pair of "999S Marchesinis". I instantly saw the yellow Forged Marchesini stickers and the thin spokes on the wheels. The seller had no idea they were forged wheels and because of some paint damage they were priced very low. I bought them about two minutes after the ad went online.

There was some paint flaking on the front wheel but the rear was pretty much perfect. I had them both repainted and put some decals on them, and they turned out like new. Fitted later with new Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's, RS front rotors with titanium bolts and Supersprox Stealt sprocket with titanium nuts.

Bought a pristine 999R full carbon tail from @Profy_X :

This is one of the parts I love the most, it's simply beautiful. And even with the exposed carbon is still very subtle, you won't even know it's there unless you know where to look.

999S '06
post #13 of 199 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Garage
The winter was long and progress on the bike was slow due to limited time at the "garage". I spent a lot of time trying to find an exhaust for the bike. I looked at multiple options once again but since I already got the Termi silencer cover "done" there was no other real option than a 57mm Termi. I liked the look of the older, round-piped system but went for a newer one instead. Found the system in Italy eventually. It was slightly polished so I decided to polish it properly.

Arrival:

Progress:

Silencer:

Finished system can be seen in some later pics (coming up).

I did not get a bracket for spacing out the side fairing with the system so I had to fabricate one myself. Luckily it was pretty simple even with my selection of tools (the Dremel decided to break while making it, oh well) and skills. Turned out fine.

I added some heat resistant tape on the insides of the fairing and wrapped the front header pipe. The pipe was very close to the left side fairing near the kickstand but nothing major.

The steel silencer is very heavy and someone had made a DIY E-approval plate on it. Absolute genius... I still used it for last summer.

Took a while to find an uncracked titanium silencer but eventually got one from Poland for a good price. Needed only some cleaning and it turned out very nice. Going to install it for this summer.

The titanium silencer weighs about 3.6kg, haven't weighed the steel version yet. Probably around 4.5kg...
Warp Racer likes this.

999S '06

post #14 of 199 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Titanium. Ahhh... Thanks again @Dennie . There's no going back once you've bought the first ones.

There are around 200 titanium bolts and nuts on the bike at the moment, including brakes, clip-ons, front fork, subframe, engine, fans, mudguards etc. Most of the visible ones are titanium. Took a while to take measures... The engine bolt kit came from Podium Racing. Not an exact match though, but close enough.

Got a DP front sprocket cover and an STM Titanium Wire clutch cover too.

Love the minimalistic look, although this did not fit with the TSS clutch so I saved it for later (new clutch coming up).

Collected a magnesium engine cover kit over a few months but ended up selling them. The vertical cylinder left side cover would have been the only one visible when installed and it would have been eaten by corrosion in no time (unless switching to waterless coolant). Beautiful parts nevertheless.

Warp Racer likes this.

999S '06
post #15 of 199 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

Garage
So the spring was getting closer and the bike was still in pieces. Some more carbon parts were purchased from Carbonworld.de, only the ones that weren't available as a DP part - ignition surround, tank protectors (front and rear), swingarm covers. Later I also got a seat pad cover and rear brake master cylinder cover elsewhere.

Artistic cell phone shot, motivating for further progress:

The bike spent the winter next to an 80's Honda VF (my father's second bike):

Warp Racer and draganc like this.

999S '06
post #16 of 199 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 12:45 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusutus View Post

Amazing build thread! Not sure why you're apologizing for photos, they are very nice

That 999S looks cleaner than off the showroom floor! Those M4 monoblocks really tie the room together for me
Warp Racer likes this.

2007 red 1098S
post #17 of 199 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage
When I got the tires installed and wheels back on we decided to move the bike with my father back to my girlfriend's mother's house. The space there is extremely dusty/dirty and the lighting is poor but since it was early summer already I could do most of the wrenching outside.

She was starting to look like a motorbike again.

Soon after this I got the engine running again, only to find out some time later that there was some kind of manufacturing defect on the new OEM Ducati oil filter and it leaked a little no matter what torque it had. The seal was intact and the old seal was not stuck on the engine. A new K&N fixed this issue.

I was happy like a dog with two dicks when I heard her run with the 57mm Termi and open clutch for the first time:

*** SHORT AND CRAPPY VIDEO CLIP ***
(the smoke is coming from the exhaust wrap)

You can also see some of my working space there...

Shortly after this the starter solenoid went poop and the rear brake switch as well, but those were easy fixes. After installing a couple of more parts the bike was only missing a chain and side fairings. Installed a new Shorai battery and took a short video of her running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozubVo72hM

When it was time to install the chain things looked odd. The master link pin would not come through the other side of the link no matter what we tried with my father. The chain was a 525 pitch and the master link and sprockets were 520... For f*ck's sake.

I bought the complete Supersprox 520 conversion kit from JC Pak Bikes and the chain was in a correct box but wrong type. Just my luck! Mr. Matsuura was extremely helpful with the issue and made Supersprox send me a replacement chain for free. Got to keep the old one too.

Soon the chain was installed and the bike was ready to rock on the 3rd of July 2015.

Rode her home that evening and I was completely extatic. I never knew one could be so thrilled on a motorcycle. My previous ride was a 600cc CBR years earlier. Over the next few days it was mostly raining so it took a while to get back on the road.
Warp Racer likes this.

999S '06

Last edited by jusutus; Feb 25th, 2016 at 1:32 pm.
post #18 of 199 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MCA View Post
Amazing build thread! Not sure why you're apologizing for photos, they are very nice

That 999S looks cleaner than off the showroom floor! Those M4 monoblocks really tie the room together for me
Thanks Some of the pics aren't too good, most of them are taken with my phone. Wish I had the time and motivation to take out the 5D a little more often...

Here's a couple of pics of ms. Isabella during last summer after getting a garage just a couple of hundred meters from my flat.

Only rode her for 1990km last summer. Hopefully this year I'll have more time and the weather will be better...

999S '06
post #19 of 199 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Garage
What a awesome bike! Bought a 999S myself as well and fell absolutely in love with it
jusutus likes this.
post #20 of 199 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 1:16 pm

999r

Lovely lovely machine. I might have missed something though (I confess to not reading every word); did you not think of starting with a 999R? Just curious.

06 Multistrada 1078S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode