Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

848 leaking from seal on tank?

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  nmanti 
#1 ·
I have an '09 848 I normally ride it year around and it's been treating me well though the years. I had a son a few months back and it's been sitting in a friends garage ever since.
The friend mentioned a couple months ago that the bike appeared to be leaking oil. I didn't have time to really fix anything, so I just put something under it to capture the fluid until I had time to trouble shoot.
Well I finally traced the fluid source, and it looks like it's actually coming from the fuel tank.
1 - its been leaking in a garage, and there's no gas smell.
2 - there is a strange deposit around the leak site that I wouldn't expect from a fuel leak.

I did get a new tank put on under warranty about a year ago, is it possible there was a seal issue that just didn't surface until it sat for a while?
Any thoughts on the deposits?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The only thing that could (shouldn't) ever leak out of a fuel take is FUEL. the inside of the tank should just be plastic, nothing more.

What is that brown slimy stuff? Perhaps the new tank was coated internally with some inferior compound?

bottom line, it is very easy to pull the tank off. If you can change oil, you can take the tank apart.
Remove the 2 screws that are at the back of the seat, so the seat lifts off.
Remove the 1 bolt holding the tank on.
Lift the tank and slide rear a bit. Then carefully pinch the two lines that attach to the fuel pump base. Some fuel will leak out, maybe a couple oz, but it will stop. Put a rag under it.
disconnect the little breather hoses, re-connect later when you re-install.

Drain the tank. turn it upside down with the cap removed, dump the fuel in a clean bucket, etc. I'd put that fuel in your wifes car, or use it in your lawn mower *IF* it looks clear. Otherwise, i'd get rid of it anyway you can.

to remove the fuel pump base, simply remove all those screws holding it on and the entire thing comes out with the pump, filter, etc. The O-Ring is why it is leaking. I would replace it with a new one (like $40-$50 at Ducati unfortunately. Put a little bit of grease on it and re-install. Any grease that the fuel touches initially will just be eaten up, so its fine.

But while you have the pump out, find out WTF that brown shit is. I guess report back to us.

#4 ·
Just an extra bit of info I forgot to mention. Service manual states the large o-ring needs to be replaced each time you remove it. I call BS on that one. I simply ensure that it has no damage, then do a quick swipe of grease around it, and re-apply it.

The two little o-rings on each of the fuel hoses (see pic below, which is horrible I got it on google images, but you see *1* o-ring at the top, its greenish, there are two, just note), can tear easy and then drip fuel. Check these carefully visually. When you re-install I also use a Q-Tip and quickly swipe around them with a tiny bit of grease so they slip on with little resistance. The fuel eats that anyhow, but it ensures you don't somehow tear/rip them. I did that on my Sport 1000. I got new o-rings in a pack at Napa, from some post someone had on here with sizes, but Duc dealer sells them too for like $2/each. When you re-connect the fuel hosts, just line them up and go straight on. No angle, just perfectly straight on, each o-ring will slide right past and they click on. Ez! Just slow and steady and it'll work every time.

Also, if your fuel filter has not been replaced in a while, or is almost due for service, this would be an ideal time to replace it. It's stupid simple, clamp clamp slide on, donezo. See the silver tube in the second pic. In-Out, 2 clamps. simple hose clamps from Napa are OK to replace with.

GL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.