Red key question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

Red key question

I am looking at a 2005 749 Dark being sold by a wholesale dealer. Apparently the bike is a stolen recovery and has a legit title (not salvage). There is one black key only (no red key). I know getting a new computer and keys are very costly ~ $2500?

I have a monster and have never used the red key for anything.

What routine maintanence circumstances would require using the red key? I know it is needed if you add a aftermarket ECU.

Should I take a pass even though the selling price allows me to afford a second Duc?

Thanks for the advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:27 pm

AFAIK, Red key is not necessary for any service. You can duplicate black keys with out a red key. The problem you should be looking at a stolen Duc is the condition of the cycle. If the bike is thoroughly inspected, you shouldn't be worrying about red key if its a smokin deal.

'07 'nelli TnT Sport
'00 ape RS250
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:30 pm
Banned

If it was stolen, condition is everything. For all you know, it was sunk in a river, cleaned up on the outside but in 3 months, need a new motor! heh

Just be careful... Saving a few bux up front, usually means spending tuns of money in the back end. I've been down that road 2 times, won't do it again.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter1 View Post
There is one black key only (no red key).
You lost the red key?! Uh oh...

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 9:12 pm

I never had to use my red key, do I need the red key after disconnecting the battery? I always wondered what the red key was for.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2008, 3:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteq View Post
I never had to use my red key, do I need the red key after disconnecting the battery? I always wondered what the red key was for.
Each key contains a unique microchip. The RED key tells the bike that your new black key is legitimate, without the RED key you will not be able to get newly cut black key to start your bike.

That is its only real function

Andrew...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2008, 7:00 am Thread Starter

Red key

Thanks for the info. about reprograming black keys. The owners manual also states, "Your dealer may ask you to produce the red key in order to carry out certain service operations". Not sure what those are exactly.

I guess that there are risks in buying this bike as it may very well end up costing more in the long run than buying one from an owner who has all the keys and a known history.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:09 am
Chilehead

The only 'maintenance' functions that may require the red key are replacing the ECU /dash.

Tom

1985 LeMans
1986 LeMans w/ sidecar
1992 XV250
1998 ST2
2003 SS1000DS
2003 999R #29

www.motogiro.com

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Be careful about that. The red key has a few more functions that just being able to re-cut a black key or instal a new dash. The immobilizer on the bike requires the red key to be used to reset it if it ever goes tits-up. A buddy of mine just went through something similar with a used 999 that he had. The immobilizer stopped recognizing the black keys one day and, because he did not have the red key that matched to the ecu/dash, there was nothing he could do about it. Ultimately he ended up having to replace the entire ecu/dash combo so he could get a red key that worked with the bike, and that cost him upwards of three grand. I think I would end up walking away from a used Duc if the red key wasn't part of the purchase.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

2006 Ducati Sport 1000 (heavily modded)
2008 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition -- Sold
2008 KTM Super Duke -- Here and modding...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2008, 10:53 pm

if I cud get a 749 lowmiles, for $3k just coz there is no red key. I wud remove the dash, put race ECU (nemesis?), and no keys.... and turn it into a track duc... that is if the black key ever stops working... wat kinda deal r u getting anyway?

'07 'nelli TnT Sport
'00 ape RS250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode