Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

916 Headlight question

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  kiwi999s 
#1 ·
Hey all

I tried a load of searching but can't find anyone who had this issue before..

My 916SPS just failed it's WOF (road safety check) because the headlight dips to the wrong side. I know the bike was crashed pretty heavily earlier in it's life and I'm guessing the headlights were replaced with the more readily available US/European spec lights that are designed for riding on the right.

I actually had the same issue on my old 916 but they aren't letting it go this time. I need to buy some UK/Japanese spec headlights that dip to the left which means buying from abroad. I'd really like to be 100% sure that I am bidding on the correct thing so these are my questions:

- Does anyone know the 2 different part numbers for the 2 headlight units? (I have the US spec one but not the UK/Japanese)
- Are these part numbers stamped onto the unit anywhere?
- Are there any visual differences that you could pick out in eBay pics? (so far they look the same to me!)

Thanks for your help

Luke

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Luke

The issue is only the deflector plate in the light. It is angled the wrong way. Pull it apart and you will see.

People have made the plate themselves (with angle going the other way) and it has worked successfully.

The cheapest option is to buy a smashed headlight and get the deflector plate out of it.......that is what I have done in the past.

The housings etc are all the same.

PS: Ring around the wreckers here they may have a smashed light in stock?

Wayne

#6 ·
Here's a pic of the plate;

It fits into the low beam unit and is easy to replace. Now I'm not certain whether this is the left or right dip version (can't remember) but I had the same problem as my 916 was an Italian spec and so dipped to the right but in the UK it needs to dip to the left.

Initially I made a 'mirrored' version from stainless steel which worked fine but then did a swap with a European forum member who had the opposite problem.

You need the opposite hand plate, AFAIK they're not available new anywhere but a smashed headlight would be a good donor or, if you've got some fabrication skills it's easy to make one with the opposite profile or even a straight profile for a flat beam cut-off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.