http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2006, 7:28 am   #1 (permalink)

OEM Oil Filters or Aftermarket?

Just curious what the opinion is of using OEM oil filters or aftermarket, i.e.
K & N?

Thanks!
gsboye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2006, 11:44 am   #2 (permalink)

Well, I have absolutely no data to back this up but...

my opionion is that when it comes to filters, etc, OEM is always the way to go. I figure, if they use it, it's good. Plus the good thing about filters, etc is that they arent that expensive OEM ($10) so you dont have to pay a premium to get them...

Just my .02. I'm sure there are better filters, but to me, it's better to stick with what I know...

Mason
mase001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:37 pm   #3 (permalink)

for starters remove those silver mesh screens on the front that lead to the air runners.

then for a time i ran oiled pantyhose held to the velocity stacks with a rubber band. i liked it. then 120 miles later i checked to see how they were doing and one of them (on the vertical cylinder) got sucked in and vaporized. kinda funny.

now i run the corsa velocita filters that actually made to sit on top the velocity stacks. i like em just fine.

but for the effect of performance filters is not anything significant in power gains. the bike runs smoother and is more responsive, it breaths better which is nice. kinda like if my lungs thought 6 minute miles where no strain.

with new aftermarket filters and the mesh screens gone, expect some lovely intake sound.

Helping out a friend that went through what I went through.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTW13QE
Namor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2006, 2:17 pm   #4 (permalink)
Ban Hammer

I like the Ducati oil filters as well.
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:30 pm   #5 (permalink)
MultiModerator

I use both OEM and K&N, without cutting them apart and analyzing them to me they both work fine. I like the K&N for the track and maintainance with the nut and safety wire hole on the bottom. While the bike is under warranty I use nothing but Ducati OEM filters to cut down on the hassle factor if there is a problem.
Old May 10th, 2006, 6:30 am   #6 (permalink)

I use a JHP aftermaket airfilter that is placed in the airbox over the intakes and i dont think this gives me any more power, maby even slighlty less.

But the big plus for trackdays is that if you end upp in the sand trapp,
the filter will protect you engine from sucking in sand, dirt etc.

The stock filters will not do this since there not over the intakes.
emullo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2006, 9:26 am   #7 (permalink)

OEM Oil Filter Manufacturer?

We all should realize that Ducati does NOT manufacture their own oil filters, but contract the service out, instead, so.......Anyone know who manufactures the OEM oil filters for Ducati? If so, their filters for Ducatis should be the exact same as OEM, but with a different paint-job on them....

Example: I used to work for Cooper Industries, owners of Champion Spark Plugs while I worked there (maybe they still own them, but I'm not sure). Anyway, the Harley Davidson "brand" spark plugs were made by Champion, and for my bike, they are the same plugs that are used in several cars (I have the cross-reference guide at home, somewhere). Anyway, Harley charged $5.95 PER PLUG, but if my local Auto Zone had a sale, I could get the exact same plug for $0.69, just that it said "Champion" instead of "Harley Davidson" on it, so.....

Anyone know who manufactures Ducati's oil filters for them?

Places I've Been on Two-Wheels:

IBA #32735
"Chrome is to Harley-Davidson as carbon fiber is to ____________"
Desmo_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2006, 9:41 am   #8 (permalink)

oil filter

My money's on FRAM... They make a LOT of oil filters.

As for air fliters, I too like the Corsa Velocita (aka Mad Duc- I believe.) They're a lot cheaper than the BMC kit and subsequently maybe not as good, but they fit on the velocity stacks but without taking up a bunch of volume in the airbox. They're also completely re-uasble and apparently work better without oiling- so no mess. Just be sure to specify "road" or "race" application. I ended up with the race version and I must admit I'm a bit skeptical about how effective the looser "weave" of that version.

Cheers.
super88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:42 am   #9 (permalink)

K&N rocks...... = Safety wire hole, easy on and off, awesome filtration. Never use Fram anything. I have read a few studies about Fram oil and air filters. Nothing good.. I use K & N oil filters in all my vehicles 996, F150, '93 Stang w/550 RWHP, no issues at all. My .02.
jaymags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:13 am   #10 (permalink)

thought this might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo_Demon
We all should realize that Ducati does NOT manufacture their own oil filters, but contract the service out, instead, so.......Anyone know who manufactures the OEM oil filters for Ducati? If so, their filters for Ducatis should be the exact same as OEM, but with a different paint-job on them....

Example: I used to work for Cooper Industries, owners of Champion Spark Plugs while I worked there (maybe they still own them, but I'm not sure). Anyway, the Harley Davidson "brand" spark plugs were made by Champion, and for my bike, they are the same plugs that are used in several cars (I have the cross-reference guide at home, somewhere). Anyway, Harley charged $5.95 PER PLUG, but if my local Auto Zone had a sale, I could get the exact same plug for $0.69, just that it said "Champion" instead of "Harley Davidson" on it, so.....

Anyone know who manufactures Ducati's oil filters for them?
Here is a reference guide I found online

Oil filters for belt-drive engines: (same as fitted to Citroen 2CV & Peugeot 205 & 309 - UFI part number (23.105.00) corresponds with

AC Delco FX0011 (was X4A) Motorcraft EFL 47
Champion H101 NAPA: 1352 (1352NAPA and 551352 on the box)
Cooper Z64 Powertrain FL125
Fiaam FT4654, FT 4847 or PA7059 Purflux LS187
Fram PH6074 (was PH2839, PH2864A)
Purolator ML16829C (was FC 103 or OC 5)
Halfords HOF216 Tecafilter Ref OC5
K & N KN-153 Technocar R12, R72, R434
Knecht OC 5 (equivalent to Ducati #065149960 and #090549960) TJ FB2094
Mann & H W712/9, W712/11 Unipart GFE 201

Before using any of the above there is an Oil Filter Study that is worth reading. N.B.: Early 650 Cagivas with Ducati engines sometimes do not accept the 2CV car filter, the threads differ. In this instance you will probably find that the following 3/4" UNF thread) will fit;
TJ filters : FB5311 and Fram : PH4482. The Fram filter is slightly longer and means you have to leave off the sump guard (Elefant), or make spacers."

K&N
Filter Cross Reference for K&N Part KN-153
Manufacturer Part Number
DUCATI 090549960
DUCATI 44440034A

I tried to go down to the local Napa for any of the following and still no luck so I have been stuck from ordering online!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.