Engine filling up with gas - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 2:05 pm   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

Engine filling up with gas

Anybody have this problem in the past? Just contaminated a second batch of fresh oil and filter when I tried to start the bike. Thought the problem was a disconnected fuel line in the tank, which I fixed. It all started when the bike died on the road. WhenI got it home to try and start it the starter would turn over at first, but eventually it would not despite a charged battery. I then realized the engine was filling with gas everytime I tried to turn it over, fuel was leaking from thelower exhaust pipe and the site glass was void of any air. I opened up the drain plug and a ton of oil and gas came out. I refilled the crankcase and the motor at first turned over until I realized gas was again leaking from the lower exhaust pipe. I disconnected the fuel lines and electrical under the tank and hit the starter switch again. The motor started and ran for a few moments before depleting the fuel that was left in the lines. That told me I have spark but for some reason gas was gushing into the cylinders at a high rate, flooding the engine. I made no more attempts to start the motor out of concern doing that would damage it.

Based on feedback elsewhere it might be a full open injector or a messed up ECU. Any other ideas? For sure I'll be taking the bike in at this point. BTW, I removed the horizontal exhaust pipe and it was full of gas. I suspect the vertical exhaust will be the same.
03 999R #189
09 1125CR Buell (sold)
07 1100S MTS (sold)
04 999S (sold)
95 916 (sold)
01 900SS (sold)
05 Honda 600RR (sold before I crashed it)
05 Honda 600RR (full Yosh, PC, totalled it)

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 13th, 2008, 2:25 pm   #2 (permalink)
Banned

WTF? You do realize, there is no way for fuel to get passed the rings right? So if you filled the head with fuel, it would just work its way down the exhaust pipe and out the back, just like its doing. The only way of getting fuel into the sump is; if you have seriously bad rings (it would be burning oil) OR if its getting through the breather system. I don't even think if the injectors were on full-time, it still wouldn't get into the sump... very strange.

Are you sure its not coolant? A serious coolant leak can be completely unnoticeable from the outside, but catastrophic to the inside.
tye1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 3:10 pm   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye1138 View Post
WTF? You do realize, there is no way for fuel to get passed the rings right? So if you filled the head with fuel, it would just work its way down the exhaust pipe and out the back, just like its doing. The only way of getting fuel into the sump is; if you have seriously bad rings (it would be burning oil) OR if its getting through the breather system. I don't even think if the injectors were on full-time, it still wouldn't get into the sump... very strange.
way wrong here...fuel can get past the rings easy to wash out engine oil.in fact even when using ''total seal'' rings fuel can still wash out engine oil.now as for a cause of a stuck open injector,i'll leave to someone who's qualified to answer
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 3:13 pm   #4 (permalink)

That's not true Tye, if you fill the cylinders with fuel, it will certainly seep past the rings. The rings need a coating of oil to form a seal, which the fuel dilutes & washes away.

I would say the problem is almost certainly injectors, I had a similar thing, although not as severe, and a pair of 2nd hand injectors (£30) fixed it for me.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 3:14 pm   #5 (permalink)

lol, beat me to it Kaos
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 3:26 pm   #6 (permalink)

Even if the injector is stuck open that is an awful lot of fuel. Maybe you have a split in the line where it leads up to injectors. Sent you a PM, hope you figure it out bro.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 4:16 pm   #7 (permalink)

Possibly a burst or disconnected fuel line in your air box. Fuel could be leaking down through your engine breather into the crank cases this could also flood the engine into the exhaust by sucking petrol straight into the engine out of the air box. Just a thought could be miles off.

sorry beaten to it.
ducati2242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 5:12 pm   #8 (permalink)

Injector harness probably has a short to ground. The injectors are typically "hot" all the time, the Engine Control Module provides a ground to complete the circuit and open the injector for the specified amount of time (a few milliseconds). With a short to ground the injector stays open, it'll spray a lot of fuel as long as there's fuel pressure.
'04 Moto Guzzi Breva 750...hers
http://g2motoracing.com/
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:22 pm   #9 (permalink)
Banned

John,

You may want to check your fuel lines for a defective backflow on the quick-connects (if you have them). I remember reading a post where the quick connect fittings got stuck open and every time the start switch was flipped, there was constant pressure on the fuel pump, and flooding soon followed. It may have been the factory plastic fittings or a lesser grade of metal fittings, I don't remember which.
DT996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:39 pm   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

Just for info the bike went dead just after I throttled it hard through the gears. I got up to speed then backed off to freeway speed when the motor just went dead.

I'll check underneath and follow the lines as far as I can. Koop's post is interesting.
03 999R #189
09 1125CR Buell (sold)
07 1100S MTS (sold)
04 999S (sold)
95 916 (sold)
01 900SS (sold)
05 Honda 600RR (sold before I crashed it)
05 Honda 600RR (full Yosh, PC, totalled it)

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement