Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

916 Starter issues

3K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  DrWez 
#1 ·
Hi All
This is a continuation of a previous post of mine regarding some issues with my 916.
I'm currently trying to diagnose a starter issue. The starter will sometimes bump the engine over to start and sometimes it will kick out and spin out. Sometimes this starts with a bump of the engine but ends with what sounds like grinding and spinning out of the starter. I have removed the left engine cover and the starter. Everything that I can see appears to be in good shape...no metal shavings in oil and the gears look brand new. Could this be the starter clutch? I've tried to remove the 30 mm nut on the crankshaft to remove the generator rotor and flywheel to get at the starter clutch but I cannot get the retaining nut off. Suggestions and recommendations welcomed. Want to get the bike back together.
Additionally, I want to run larger gauge wires to the stator while the side cover is off but I cannot seem to extract the stator form the side cover. Recommendations?
Thanks
Wes

#2 ·
i used a high torque impact gun with a 30 gallon compressor to get mine off. i locktite that nut each time i put it on, makes it a little tough to get off. sounds like the spag to me, have one from a 748 if you need it.

#9 ·
Will the one from a 748 fit?
Pretty sure they're the same part.

IMO if you're replacing the sprag don't fit a used part; it's a lot of hassle to replace it to then have it fail again soon because the 'new' part was also knackered, fit a new one and get the maximum lifespan from it.

Also, whilst you can get the flywheel nut off with a rattle gun, you really need a holding tool when tightening it back up, 'coz it needs doing up f'in tight and you can damage something if you're not holding it right...

#6 ·
Flywheel nut is a standard thread, anti clockwise to undo they are bloody tight though, i assume you have a holding tool? Also make sure you align it correctly when refitting.

I don't know if the 748 sprag would fit a search of some online parts catalogues should show if they share the same part no.

#8 ·
The sprag spring is the same on 748, 996,916 and 900
I beleive the spring is common with a certain Napa oil seal
and is easy to replace once the flywheel is off

#10 ·
So, the consensus is the "sprage spring" as the culprit.

The F*$#ing tight nut needs to come off and consensus says an impact wrench and the holding tool. Don't have an impact wrench:frown2: but I do have a holding tool (HDESA):smile2:. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit my heads:frown2:. Herm at HDESA said that I must have second generation 996 head and unusual to see in US...sold only in Europe. Herm will send me the correct one.

So I will wait on the holding tool and update this then.

As for getting the stator out of the left cover, how do you extract it with out damaging it?

#17 ·
Everything that I can see appears to be in good shape...no metal shavings in oil and the gears look brand new. Could this be the starter clutch? I've tried to remove the 30 mm nut on the crankshaft to remove the generator rotor and flywheel to get at the starter clutch but I cannot get the retaining nut off.
To get nut off an Impact gun and a glove holding by hand it will do, or a flywheel holding tool and a bar, 30mm deep socket is what you need. To get it on you absolutely need a mean to hold the flywheel and torque it with a standard tq bar.
Holding tool you need is for the flywheel, dont mean to be harsh here, just saying :)

From the stator to the voltage regulator the wires are good size so no need to change them, the problem is from the battery to ground and from the battery to the starter engine.

#25 ·
OK got it apart. The spring in the clutch assembly is really, really weak. Enough that one of the balls fell out when it was removed. Most of the balls appear to have flat spots on the inside. The surface of the sleeve shows wear but no where close to the picture above. So, is this clutch assemble available still?

#26 ·
#28 ·
i have a flly wheel and gear from a 98 748 if you need it, not using it. great condition, has 7k miles on it. they are the same for the 916 let you have them real cheap.

#29 ·
916Duc - thanks for the input. I was ready to order the seals but then read some bad reviews of that fix...Springs breaking after a couple of days. I order a new clutch sprag from Gotham Cycles for ~$125.
Gary856 - thanks for the offer. My flywheel and gear look great. I think the problem is the starter clutch which I plan to replace. BUT I will keep your offer in mind!

#32 ·
When I removed my clutch slave cylinder (a Evoluzione), I found what appears to be a broken bushing. The pieces seem to have scored the slave cylinder piston. What do these pieces go to? Do I need it?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.