engine suddenly dies during idle - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 3:59 am   #1 (permalink)

Smile engine suddenly dies during idle

I would just want to ask regarding my bike problem.. i have a 2002 748R with termis slip-ons...

I understand that this bike has a flat spot (thats fine).. but the problem is the engine suddenly dies during idle and sometimes when i pull the clutch lever at low speed.. Listed below are the things we did to solve the problem.

1. change spark plugs
2. change stock chip to FBF chip
3. clean the tank and its components
4. synchronized
5. adjust air/fuel mixture
6. check the combustion chamber (still clean)

After this procedures, the problem still remains..
The Question: Why is this happening? what's the cause? and what is the solution?

Thank you in advance for those who will reply... i believe someone out there knows the solution . Help!
alvin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 7:01 am   #2 (permalink)

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. According to the dealer, the idle is set to low (900-1000). On the 4th, I am getting the idle adjusted to around 1200rpm, hoping this solves the problem.
veteq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 7:28 am   #3 (permalink)

My 748S Haynes manual states that if the engine sits at idle more than 5 minutes, it will shut off. I also agree that setting the idle at 900 RPM is a tad too low. For this high Comp. engine you need at least 1350 RPM. I hope that you installed an open exhaust and adjusted the richness when you changed the chip!
desmodrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 7:42 am   #4 (permalink)

my 996 cuts out sometimes while it's idling. I don't know what the problem is, my idle is set around 1100rpms... I do notice that when it does cut out, you can hear the bike cut out for a split second and then either it dies or stutters a bit and catches it breathe to idle again... I just figured it's that specialty Italian design!

Does this happen when the bike is cold or at any point after riding with it up to operating temp?

Check your Air/Fuel ratio too... your computer could be running the bike too rich or too lean right before the cut out. Starving it for air or for fuel. It's rare to see, but it does happen.
Roadie996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 8:52 am   #5 (permalink)

All 3 Ducs do this, especially the 996 (which has the hottest cams of the three, light race pistons, Ti rods, light flywheel and clutch, etc. etc.). With the older bikes it's usually a flame-out through the butterflies that you can hear - haven't noticed this when the 1098 (rarely) dies at idle. Keeping the bike in neutral when it's idling helps by adding more rotating mass to keep it going when it wants to cut out.
JeffKoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 8:55 am   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that about the bikes
Roadie996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 9:31 am   #7 (permalink)

your 748R will have shower injection and at idle with the butterflies barely open, the injectors firing fuel directly onto the near closed butterflies can seal the butterflies causing the bike to fuel up more in the throts and die. raising the idle is the best cure.
ProTwinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:03 am   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Its not the showers if the 996 has the same problem. I've had this issue before on my R. It would actually back-fire out of the intake manifolds and stop running. Its all about timing... the moment I set the belt tension properly, she never did it again. Its one reason why Ducati specify belt tension. You can't ever get it right by hand, its impossible.
tye1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:45 am   #9 (permalink)
JEC

Regarding non-shower injector models, it's a combination of proper idle (min. 1200 rpm) synchronized throttle bodies, synchronized air bypasses, correctly set TPS, correct spark plug gap, and proper fuel mixture (on the rich side works best). Mine stalled constantly when I first got it. Since then I've done what I've listed above (plus a valve lapping job) and it has not stalled since then. And I mean not once, I was actually very surprised.
'84 Honda VF750F Interceptor (gone)
'04 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
'87 Honda VFR400R NC24 (gone)
'85 BMW K100RS (gone)
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 3:40 am   #10 (permalink)

Thank you guys for the help! currently.. the bike is @ 1100 rpm, so i will adjust it to 1350 rpm... considering its air/fuel mixture, we've been adjusting it for weeks already until the bike runs smoothly... and it does! i'll have the bike synchronize again to be sure. concerning roadie996 question: it happens all the time regardless of the temp...
About JEC suggestion, we will check everything and try to copy exactly what you did!

Thank you very much my fellow devoted ducatista's ... this site really helps!
alvin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement