Can you ride a motorcycle in the HOV lane? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:53 am   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot View Post
I ride like everyone is going to get me too....have been for now 41 years. But in the HOV in my town, (Boston), it would not matter how you rode if there was nowhere to go. It was like being at the end of an alley up against the dumpster...walls on both sides one lane only......no HOV for me, ever.
Good point about the HOV lane.

Btw, we should try to get together for a ride this year (tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full).

Previous Bikes:
2008 1098 (red) w/Termi slip-ons, Ohlins 30mm kit & TTX shock
2007 MTS 1100
2006 749 (RIP)
koolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 1:29 pm   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Good point about the HOV lane.

Btw, we should try to get together for a ride this year (tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full).
That may be true, but how narrow are these lanes that you can't fit a motorcycle on either side of the cars ahead of you? It may be tight, but I know I'd rather scuff a pannier or something than get rear ended again, especially at speed.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 11:49 am   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchkn View Post
That may be true, but how narrow are these lanes that you can't fit a motorcycle on either side of the cars ahead of you? It may be tight, but I know I'd rather scuff a pannier or something than get rear ended again, especially at speed.
Yup, I agree with you...I just never thought about HOV lanes from Scot's perspective and it will cross my mind if I ever ride in an HOV lane.

Previous Bikes:
2008 1098 (red) w/Termi slip-ons, Ohlins 30mm kit & TTX shock
2007 MTS 1100
2006 749 (RIP)
koolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 12:28 pm   #14 (permalink)
Duc for life

I ride (split) an HOV lane to/from work everyday. While it is very wide, enough to "share it with cars", and in some cases (if need be) we have 2 sets of double-yellows ("illegal motorcycle lane"); here is what I've been up against: cars come to a sudden stop due to heavy traffic and this "middle section" (between the HOV lane the lanes to the right) is where cars go swerving if they can't stop in time

I always anticipate the worse case scenario at any given moment while riding; this has kept me alive till now, *knocking on wood*...
'98 46th RC46
Past:
Suzuki GSF600S
Honda XR600R
GuiTsouo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 1:00 pm   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwahl View Post
I believe in the USA that it is a federal law to allow motorcycles in the HOV lanes.
+1
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 1:56 pm   #16 (permalink)
fff

Been ridding in the HOV lane for 23 years in CA with no issues from the cops. I would not hesitate to split a lane to get out of the way of an issue like a car out of control.

www.ducati-owners-group.com
fff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement