TPS setting on 999S using VDST - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 2:27 am   #1 (permalink)
luvmyduke

TPS setting on 999S using VDST

I can't find the correct value for the TPS setting in my factory manual. This may not be a problem unless I can also figure out how to use my VDST software to actually give me a reading of what the TPS is currently set at. I ran the TPS reset and it "completed" (with an odd request for me to either turn on or off the key, with an ECU reset in 13.4 sec?), but at no time did it actually display a TPS value. The TPS setting area is greyed out. Do you have to have the engine running to observe and adjust the TPS setting? Also, full closed, the throttle monitor reads 2.5, and full open it reads 85. My power commander software (RC 51) always read 0 and 100 for closed/open throttle. Is the 2.5/85 typical? If not, how does one reset it? Thx.

'13 KTM 500 EXC
'11 Multistrada 1200 S
'05 999S
-------
'05 R1200 GS
'01 RC 51
'98 VTR 1000
'93 GTS 1000
'84 Seca 900
'69 750 Commando
'79 750 Yamaha
'74 250 Yamaha
gnuoyfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 16th, 2008, 5:24 am   #2 (permalink)

I have a 1098 and the VDST.
The new bike does not get the TPS adjusted like the older ones (916/996 era for sure). It "reads" the value from the TPS over several seconds and if it is stable remembers that value is the new baseline "zero".
I don't know about the 999 series bikes. It may be by using the TPS reset in the newer software you have already reset the value in the ECU and you are good to go. It may be it did nothing... Options that do not work with your specific ECU are supposed to be non-selectable in the software... so I would think you have done the job.

Why were you looking to reset it? General maintenance? Or were you having a problem with the bike and are trying to fix something? ...?
RichD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 7:32 am   #3 (permalink)

Hi
I see you have some knowledge of the VDST is this just the software installed on a lap top or the Ducati item or the unit PDA supplied by FBF ? I have a 1098S 1200km and I was considering getting the software or the item sold by FBF the Ducati item was priced at 5800USD. My bike has the full racing Termi pipes and ECU will the software work with this I don't know the type of ECU it is the Ducati ECU but to suit the pipes. I don't want to get the VDST until I am sure that it is the correct item. If you can point me in the right direction I would be very much obliged.
I live in Thailand where there is only 1 dealer and it's not near where I live.
Cheers
Hawkhill
HAWKHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 8:09 am   #4 (permalink)

Here's the website:
http://www.technoresearch.com/
Contact the owner and he can help you out.
dirkwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 10:51 am   #5 (permalink)
luvmyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
I have a 1098 and the VDST.
The new bike does not get the TPS adjusted like the older ones (916/996 era for sure). It "reads" the value from the TPS over several seconds and if it is stable remembers that value is the new baseline "zero".
I don't know about the 999 series bikes. It may be by using the TPS reset in the newer software you have already reset the value in the ECU and you are good to go. It may be it did nothing... Options that do not work with your specific ECU are supposed to be non-selectable in the software... so I would think you have done the job.

Why were you looking to reset it? General maintenance? Or were you having a problem with the bike and are trying to fix something? ...?
I think I might have figured out how to monitor the TPS value, and I am just about to try it out. The bike has been impossible to start when the engine is hot (the outside temperature here is cold), and so I thought the reset of the TPS might help. I've only tried to start it hot once since the reset, and it did start immediately, but on the other hand, it is now running a bit rough. I have to be careful because the temperature changes alot during the day, and so the ambient air temperature may be playing a role.

'13 KTM 500 EXC
'11 Multistrada 1200 S
'05 999S
-------
'05 R1200 GS
'01 RC 51
'98 VTR 1000
'93 GTS 1000
'84 Seca 900
'69 750 Commando
'79 750 Yamaha
'74 250 Yamaha
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 4:02 pm   #6 (permalink)

When you say "impossible to start", does it crank over, but not fire? ...or? ...?
I would be suspicious of the coolant temperature sensor (and/or the cleanliness of the connector) and/or the ambient air temp sensor.

TPS I would suspect is not the problem. Typically TPS problems have an issue with "just off idle" throttle popping/banging/stalling/surging/etc. The further it is off, the worse the symptoms. If the TPS was too far off I think you would have an issue with it idleing at all.
That being said, I don't have a 999, nor have Iactually had TPS problems... so... your mileage may vary
RichD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 5:17 pm   #7 (permalink)
luvmyduke

It cranks but no fire, lots of gas odours and big backfires out the ass. I'm pretty sure the ambient air temperature shows properly, and I know the coolant temperature indicates correctly on the dash. As soon as the coolant temperature falls below about 80 C, it works like a charm. Seems like its just not giving it any spark while hot.

I still can't obviously monitor the TPS setting. I am now monitoring "TPS equivalent", which is the only channel title that seems to relate to the TPS, and it is 0. I gather from some reading that the adjustment of the TPS is supposed to allow the throttle position to be 3 at idle. With the engine on, mine reads about 3.2 now, and with the engine off, closed throttle reads 2.4. Seems like its probably OK...just frustrating that I can't seemingly monitor or control the TPS setting.

'13 KTM 500 EXC
'11 Multistrada 1200 S
'05 999S
-------
'05 R1200 GS
'01 RC 51
'98 VTR 1000
'93 GTS 1000
'84 Seca 900
'69 750 Commando
'79 750 Yamaha
'74 250 Yamaha
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 11:11 pm   #8 (permalink)

The ECU works on a combination of inputs to adjust the air fuel mixture. Using your VDST, have you checked the functionality of those sensors you have access to through the unit?
I would suspect you have a bum temp sensor somewhere that is making life difficult for the ECU which causes the problems once the bike reaches operating temp.

Once you have reset the TPS, there is no more to do about it. Reset and walk away, this is not the older bikes where you can fine tune it ever so slightly. The process is nicely described in the Ducati workshop manual. (download from duc.nu for less than the cost of a happy meal)

If you like to do your maintenance yourself, then the VDST is definately worth it. Talk to FBF or Desmotimes. They will need to know what model bike and year you have. It cost in the region of 200 odd dollars. I would recommend you get a CO analyser and a vacuum gauge with your VDST. With those three things you can service and adjust the engine to your hearts content, regardless of what Ducati ECU you have in there.

SF
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 11:47 pm   #9 (permalink)
luvmyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyfish View Post
The ECU works on a combination of inputs to adjust the air fuel mixture. Using your VDST, have you checked the functionality of those sensors you have access to through the unit?
I would suspect you have a bum temp sensor somewhere that is making life difficult for the ECU which causes the problems once the bike reaches operating temp.

Once you have reset the TPS, there is no more to do about it. Reset and walk away, this is not the older bikes where you can fine tune it ever so slightly. The process is nicely described in the Ducati workshop manual. (download from duc.nu for less than the cost of a happy meal)

If you like to do your maintenance yourself, then the VDST is definately worth it. Talk to FBF or Desmotimes. They will need to know what model bike and year you have. It cost in the region of 200 odd dollars. I would recommend you get a CO analyser and a vacuum gauge with your VDST. With those three things you can service and adjust the engine to your hearts content, regardless of what Ducati ECU you have in there.

SF

That is good to know (reset is all you need to do with the TPS). All the sensors checked out via the VDST test. I'll make a point of checking the dash sensors for ambient and coolant temperatures if it still fails to start when hot. I guess it could possibly be a faulty ambient pressure sensor/connector problem too (not available on dash).

What CO2 and vacuum gauges do you recommend?

'13 KTM 500 EXC
'11 Multistrada 1200 S
'05 999S
-------
'05 R1200 GS
'01 RC 51
'98 VTR 1000
'93 GTS 1000
'84 Seca 900
'69 750 Commando
'79 750 Yamaha
'74 250 Yamaha
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 3:18 am   #10 (permalink)

I use the CO (carbon monoxide) tester being sold through desmotimes. Simple, straight forward and perfect for me who can not rely on the local dealer who has done more harm than good to my bike.

I picked up a single vacuum gauge from a local shop, only thing is that I use the same guage to check each cylinder with in turn. Some people recommend you use the higher end twin gauges if you can find them. (Not available locally) It certainly is a lot less hasle doing it with a twin gauge instead of going around and around the bike checking the cylinder balance with a single gauge. ( a pain in the arse but at least the results are repeatable.)

It was the best feeling in the world when I finally was able to hook up my VDST unit and clear that annoying little spanner from the dash. Just by doing that paid for the new unit in self satisfaction.....

SF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement