748R chip in shower injected 996 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 8:54 am   #1 (permalink)
OZe

Smile 748R chip in shower injected 996

Hi there, I have a '99 996, can I get some advice please.

I am aware there is a single injector chip made for the 996 to remove low rpm studder by disconnecting two injectors, but thought this to be too easy a solution.

So I decided to go a different route and fit 54mm single injector (shower type) throttle bodies from a '03 748R instead. If it doesn't work I can always go back and do it the other way.

I have the TB's, the manifolds and an EVR large airbox but am kinda stuck on the wiring and chip side of things.

Will the wiring from the TB's plug into the 996 loom plug ? and could I use 748R chip or do I need a custom made chip for the larger motor ?

Any kinda information about this would be very much appreciated.
OZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 11:48 am   #2 (permalink)
Banned

First off, the 996 frame won't accept the large airbox without modifications to the box or frame.

The computer should be an easy fix, I'm in agreement with you about the eprom change. All of the injector control including DUAL injectors, is done by the eprom and switching it out with the 748R eprom will work since they are the same computers. The 996 supplies fuel to both injectors at the same time identically fired, so only using 1/2 of it should be OK. You will need a PC3 and full dyno tune to properly get it running properly!

The airbox is the biggest difference in the equation. The stock 996 airbox evidently has too little volume and the 748R airbox as just the right amount at 14L. The reason why they went with showers was not just for efficiency in air/fuel mixture (which its quite good at) but also for putting the TB's inside the airbox, so the airbox could get larger. Basically from what I've read, the showers were a necessity rather then a performance upgrade. On a 996, the large airbox and showers should give a small HP increase of between 4-6hp. Ducati didn't use the large airbox on any production bikes until the 748R with the Kyalami frame.

So, there you have it. If you can fit that there box in the frame, you should be in good shape!

OHH and PM me if you end up not using the airbox... I'd love to get my hands on one!
tye1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 2:11 pm   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZe View Post
Hi there, I have a '99 996, can I get some advice please.

I am aware there is a single injector chip made for the 996 to remove low rpm studder by disconnecting two injectors, but thought this to be too easy a solution.

So I decided to go a different route and fit 54mm single injector (shower type) throttle bodies from a '03 748R instead. If it doesn't work I can always go back and do it the other way.

I have the TB's, the manifolds and an EVR large airbox but am kinda stuck on the wiring and chip side of things.

Will the wiring from the TB's plug into the 996 loom plug ? and could I use 748R chip or do I need a custom made chip for the larger motor ?

IIRC, the inlet ports are a different size on the R manifolds so there would be some major port work to match. Also, the rocker cover on the inlet side is different and machined to fit the R manifolds. A stock 996 rocker cover cannot be machined to fit as it would leak if machined to fit.
Any kinda information about this would be very much appreciated.

Just to add to it, IIRC the shower injectors will not fit in the EVR airbox correctly either. You would have to adapt a 748R or 998 with some work.

www.podiumracing.com
Maker of fine Ducati performance Parts and Accessories

Last edited by 1fast750ss; Jan 19th, 2008 at 6:12 pm. Reason: After thoughts:
1fast750ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 7:52 pm   #4 (permalink)

748r bodies

Where are you measuring the throttle bodies at 54mm? The 748r throttle bodies are not really that good there is quite a choke down point just below the throttle plates if you measure it you will find it is considerably smaller than your 996 bodies this was a world supersport requirement.The 748r chip has a bit diferent ignition timing tends to hang up the iddle.you will need the 748r intake manifolds which have elevated port roofs so they will not line up well with the ports,you will need 748r intake valve covers and air boxs.The best set up would be 996 bodies single injector and use the evr.When everything is said and done if you use the 748r set up you will not feel that it was a worth while investment.Bcm has a 54mm throttle body conversion they bore out the bodies install 54mm plates and reassemble the bodies
mr-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 8:51 pm   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast750ss View Post
Also, the rocker cover on the inlet side is different and machined to fit the R manifolds. A stock 996 rocker cover cannot be machined to fit as it would leak if machined to fit.
Yep, I always forget about those bloody rocker covers! They are pretty darn special!

But at least we are all in agreement, the work needed to make a retrofit using the R components isn't worth it. The single injector TB solution should work fine. I still don't understand why the 996 has an issue with the stock injectors...
tye1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 4:27 am   #6 (permalink)
OZe

Hi there , thanks for all your input everyone.

Sorry about the late reply but been working out bush for the last month.

There are afew things there I wasn't aware of such as the valve covers and the like.

As far as I know the large airbox was made for the 996 frame but I didn't take into account whether the different manifolds would fit to it.

Does anyone know the physical size differents between the two piece 748R and the EVR large one piece airbox ?

I have also been doing abit of reading about the throttle bodies, apparently the restriction below the butterfies can be machined out for better flow. I haven't found anyone yet to port the heads but when I do I'll get 'em to do the throttle bodies as well.

So thanks again everyone for your help. It does seem the easier way to go is the single injector 50 mm TB's hey. O'well since I've come this far I may as well keep going and see what it turns out like.
OZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 2:45 pm   #7 (permalink)

According to this, it's made for the 996. Don't know how it works, but if that's what you have, then it should work.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 2:22 pm   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-x View Post
Where are you measuring the throttle bodies at 54mm? The 748r throttle bodies are not really that good there is quite a choke down point just below the throttle plates if you measure it you will find it is considerably smaller than your 996 bodies this was a world supersport requirement.The 748r chip has a bit diferent ignition timing tends to hang up the iddle.you will need the 748r intake manifolds which have elevated port roofs so they will not line up well with the ports,you will need 748r intake valve covers and air boxs.The best set up would be 996 bodies single injector and use the evr.When everything is said and done if you use the 748r set up you will not feel that it was a worth while investment.Bcm has a 54mm throttle body conversion they bore out the bodies install 54mm plates and reassemble the bodies

I have no idea what you're talking about. Throttle body walls don't taper. I have had a 916 with 50mm juggs, a 998 with 54s and I have in my garage a shower injection unit for the 748R with 54s. None of them are tapered.

Oze: Restrictions below throttle bodies??? You must be talking about head porting...

Otherwise, tye1138 is right. I remember years back hearing why they did that with the 748R. The airboxes on the 1000cc models were too small.

In terms of different airbox fitments, the EVR will work with the 748R setup. No prob. It is meant to fit any non-748R frame/engine. It will also fit corse frames as well. The EVR airbox fits differently around the hookups to the air runners. Let me attach some pics for clarity...

Let me know if any of these help you to understand what the differences & work is that's involved.
Attached Thumbnails
748R chip in shower injected 996-airbox_cf-7_evr-748-996.jpg   748R chip in shower injected 996-airbox_cf_evr-748-996-4.jpg   748R chip in shower injected 996-airbox_cf_evr-748-996-2.jpg   748R chip in shower injected 996-airbox_cf_evr-748-996-3.jpg   748R chip in shower injected 996-airbox_cf_evr-748-996-5.jpg  

ScottyDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 1:43 am   #9 (permalink)
Senior Misfit

This is what theyre talking about, have a look at the second row of pics http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/748rnoport.html

And a few comments on sigmas site aswell as on dougs.
And all throttle bodys(at least 748/916/996) have smaller outlet than inlet, which I would guess one would call tapered or conical or similar.
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 8:45 pm   #10 (permalink)

Hi Oze, I feel your pains. I am going at it from the opposite direction. I picked up a 996RS frame to allow the bigger airbox, a 748R airbox then found out I had to get the valve covers to mount the lower portion of the airbox(two partbox). These were obtained eventually, So I picked up the intake manifolds(stock didnt line up). Thinking I would simply have stock tb's machined for max volume Only to find out that that the spacing on the stock throttle bodies are way too close together to fit the R intake manifolds. Then I bid on the only 748R shower injectors I have ever seen from tom AKA metroduc on Ebay only to have them sold off to to OZ, when I missed the last bid(dude you got a deal)! I believe what I am saying is I think I have everything you need and you the same for me. If you ever decide to get out or go another way I will gladly offer for your 748R TB/injectors. I will be glad to post any pics of the above you may need as none are on my bike.
Thanks for the above pics which are excellent and I wish I would have seen them first before starting this edeavour.
The links were extremely informative as well.
Best Wishes Oze, Brad
neuroduc is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement