Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Front end set up

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  46Fan 
#1 ·
Hi,
I need some help the way my '05 999 should be set up. The rider egro's is very aggressively forward. Not sure how far down the Triple tree was suppose to be on the 999. Its about a good 1/2" down from the top and I'm sure its not that way from stock. I've asked the guy that use to own it before and said that was stock settings. Does anyone have a pic of theirs so I can see/know how its suppose to look? Thanks for the Help.

#2 ·
I have attached two pics:
Mine stock had two lines showing (00133 - front pointing left)

and I've adjusted it to have four lines showing (0021 front pointing right) and am running the stock 24.5 degree rake

do not go past four lines showing or you run the chance of having the tire hit the horizontal cylinder head

this below is a great reference for setup

http://web.archive.org/web/20050311225127/section8superbike.com/749-999suspension.htm

Attachments

#3 ·
I have four lines showing on mine right now. More than likely I have to adjust the rearsets, which are stock. The Duc seems like it doesn't wanna turn at low speeds and have to really press to turn. The 999 is NOT set up for my weight which is 200lbs and the previous owner was 150lbs. I'm awaiting on Ohlins rear suspension and steering damper in the mail before I do a suspension set up for my wieght. Any other suggestions?

#4 ·
of course, make sure your tire pressure is correct

yes, make sure the bike's sag is set correctly. if my memory is correct, your front springs are probably ok, but the rear is too soft, which shouldn't be an issue since you are upgrading to the ohlins

i moved my rearsets up and i think it helped alot- i attached the best pic i have to show this

also, i found the steering of mine in general is a bit slower than the R6, R1 and ZX6R i've owned and i think it's due to the slightly longer wheelbase.

start here for your clicker settings

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_street_bike_suspension_settings/index.html#ducati

Attachments

#5 ·
Get a good suspension guy before you start to spend money.

My problem was as follows:
The nose bottoms out when I hit the brakes hard.
It is a bear to turn in to a slow corner
The arse wallows in a fast corner under power.
It just doesnt feel right.

Off came the exhaust, rear spring gets tightended up.
Ride height adjuster gets extended, a couple of clicks here and then a few turns on the front springs and I get sent off.

Fark me, what a difference. Still got a bit of the wallows but the diving is gone. A few more clicks on this end and that comes out a few more clicks and off I go again - In corners I used to wet myself from fear I know go through at least 40 to 50 km/h faster.......

All that because my stock settings was not set up properly for a 200 lb fat bastard like me. Spend the 50 bucks on a good techie who will make the world of difference before spending money on upgrades you may not need.

SF

#6 · (Edited)
I had my 999r (stock Ohlins boingers front and rear) setup with 4 lines showing above the triple clamp 285 m/m ride height rod adjustment eye center to eye center ( this should be stock and it is also the maximum recommended by Ducati for the 999 series bikes.
I had an Ohlins 95 spring (heavier spring than stock) installed on the rear shock and the rebound revalved for the heavier spring.
I weigh in about the same as you at 210 with gear.
This setup was done by the guys at Section 8 and it works like a charm, I loaded the bike in my truck and drove all the way out there, 3,500 miles there and back, just so they could set the bike up and it was worth it. The first time I rode the bike was at Grattan Raceway.
My first 999 bike was an 03 base and I had the same problem with the stock settings. The bike would under steer. I would have to hold my lean just that second longer to get the whole thing around the turn. It sucked.

Later I got a set of 27 m/m off set triple clamps from Jason Etter and the bike is even better.
The bike has a Surflex slipper and a light weight flywheel to so the rotational mass is a lot less than the stock setup. The forks are not up in the triple clamps as much with the 27 m/m off set and I run it at the 24.5 degree rake. As far as I am concerned this bike is finished. I love everything about it. All I have to do is think I want to turn and it goes where ever I look. It is so awesome to have a bike that is truly dialed in for you, there are really no words for me to describe the feeling and confidence a bike like this gives.

I had Rick at Cogent Dynamics install some new fork seals to replace the old style seals that were leaking. While he was in there he installed some slightly longer shims in the forks because I was out of preload adjustment just this last summer. I have not had a chance to ride it with the new shims yet. The shims were the last crowning touch on a perfect bike.

#10 ·
Hey Duc! I had both the Ohlins forks and rear shock set up for my weight by Ohlins when I bought them. To top it off I installed an Ohlins steering damper and FBF bar risers. What a difference compared to the stock Showa stuff. The bar risers made a huge difference also, it seemed they took all weight off my wrists. I was just wasting my time fiddling around with the stock stuff and couldn't get it to feel right - the Ohlins suspension just tranformed the bike I was very pleased. You have to have the suspension set up for your weight or it's not worth just buying top shelf stuff and putting it on your bike.

#11 ·
Bought the Rear Ohlins part# D301 and the steering damper part # SD68. The rear is being set up for 205lbs and when they install it they are going to set the whole scooter up for my weight. My money tree is kinda looking thin for a Ohlins forks. So that's gonna have to wait a few months and then get one. I'll post pictures of it later, I bought the '05 Duc off a guy. He weighted less than me and the suspension on there has some miles on it.

#12 ·
.... My money tree is kinda looking thin for a Ohlins forks. So that's gonna have to wait a few months and then get one. ....
Do a search on ohlins vs showa and you'll find you're best off sending your stock forks to a sponsor like Cogent Dynamics. I think what you'll find is that for the most part, having them re-valved will be just as good as the ohlins with less cost. i'm sure someone will chime in with doing just that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.