Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

questions concerning head gasket

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  tye1138 
#1 ·
hello everyone out there
i just purchased my first used ducati. 1998 748
i have a question concerning my upper head gasket. i took my bike in for the 16,000 mile maintaince and was wondering if there should be able to check the head gasket while they adjust the valve clearance. anyone whom can help thnxs

#2 ·
What do you mean by "check the head gasket"?? Is there something going on, or wrong with the motor?? Don't usually 'check' a head gasket unless it's bad...

#3 ·
Yeah you will know if your head gasket goes bad, i just lapped my head and installed a new head gasket on my 996 because the bike run hot and distorted the head, you will see a spike in your tempt start off with , one way to tell is the exhaust temp , start your bike up an let it run a min, then feel your exhaust gasses, one will be hotter than the other, right off the bat. but it's doughtfull :abduct: to be having that problem, :abduct:

#4 ·
leaky problem

i posted a thread early and was probably unclear of the details so here lets try again. i am new to the ducati bikes and just wanna make sure the dealership isnt trying to screw me out my money. i was just basically wondering if the mechanic's had to take the head off to check the valves.

#9 ·
bearclaw84 said:
i posted a thread early and was probably unclear of the details so here lets try again. i am new to the ducati bikes and just wanna make sure the dealership isnt trying to screw me out my money. i was just basically wondering if the mechanic's had to take the head off to check the valves.
As far as general unnamed Ducati bikes...I'm assuming this is the bike you have:

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing where they might have put the head gasket... :confused:

:abduct:

#10 · (Edited)
Just to help Bear Claw...

Here is a CUT & PASTE from the SECOND line of the FIRST post...

Listen very carefully... I vill only zay zis VONCE....

**** i just purchased my first used ducati. 1998 748 *****

just in case you num nuts missed it AGAIN....

**** i just purchased my first used ducati. 1998 748 ****

In general NO.. there is no real way to 'check' the head gasket.. They may be able to kinda check it's operation, with compression tests or water pressure tests but that's about it...

Are you concerned about a propblem you are experiencing or are you just looking to put your mind at ease after hearing other people had 'head gasket' problems???

Your second post leads me to think you have been charged for one or more head gaskets. There was a superbike, I thought it was the 888 that needed the heads pulled to adjust the valves, was this right guys?? if yours is a standard 748, not an R or RS or anyting else, AFAIK the heads don't need removing.

Just what was written on your invoice?? They do change the valve cover gaskets, as mentioned earlier...

In accordance with the prophecy...

Mal

#11 ·
mals900ss said:
There was a superbike, I thought it was the 888 that needed the heads pulled to adjust the valves, was this right guys?? if yours is a standard 748, not an R or RS or anyting else, AFAIK the heads don't need removing.
Mal
Hey Mal, I don't know anything about pre-testastretta bikes but the 749S/R and 999S/R do require the head to be completely removed to change the closer shims. These motors have a tapered retainer (very, very similar to the MBP collet design) for the closer shim. The shim is a tight fit on the retainers and the shim itself must be pressed on and off the retainer. As far as I know (and everyone I've ever spoken to about it) there is no way to get the closer shim on or off the retainer without the press/special tools...thus requiring head removal to fit the tools.

#12 ·
+1 Jon.

Those models spoken are the only bikes where the heads need to be removed. All Desmoquattro bikes can have valves checked without the heads being removed.

That being said, bearclaw84 said "i am having a leaky head gasket on the vertical cylinder and just wanna see if they are able to check the gasket while they are checking the valves"

Bearclaw, is there oil or rad fluid blow-by? I'm guessing yes, otherwise you wouldn't know this. It could be that your head bolts are not torqued to spec, or simply you need a new head gasket. I would recommend putting new ones on both heads, just to play it safe.

Regarding the valve checks, the heads can stay on, however you will need new valve cover gaskets(for safe insurance).

#13 ·
when doing a routine service ''most'' techs will be doing a leak down test on the engine .not only will this cause a head gasket problem to become apparent,but will show the tech if any other problems need to be addressed before doing the service work.(ie..no use checking the valves if one cyl is low)

#15 ·
My 748 (same style as yours) had one hot exhaust and one cold exhaust always, I feel thats pretty normal.

Whats hot? 225F? I've noticed most Ducati's run hot and the fan comes on pretty late, so if your under 225 degree's, you're probably fine, its just the fan is coming on pretty late. If your over that number, you could have a fueling issue and the bike is running in a more lean state the normal for some reason or another.

Usually hot temps don't relate directly to a bad head gasket. I'm not saying your gaskets are good, but I'd start going through the standard diagnostic procedures before even assuming its the gasket.

Check the plugs to see how the mixture is burning. Check to make sure the fans are coming on at the appropriate time. Make sure your timing hasn't slipped (belts loose). etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.