Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

999 Flywheel coming loose

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Hoogop 
#1 ·
New here. Anyone had this?

My 999 with 2700 km had it's flywheel come loose on a track day.......... Not to :) about that!!!!

After all, ducati said that they don't supply complete motors and they will have to strip it and repair whats needed. So it's busy being repared.

Proir to that i had only hard times with that Duc. Since new i had it leaking oil out the clutch cover, they tried to fix it 3 times and it carried on till the flywheel ended the motors life in the end, with oil coming out the cover again on that day..... Why is that, could it be blow-by or poor crack case ventelation?

Anyway!!

Just prior to the breakdown i had ordered the following to install, Pistal 13.1 ratio pistons, Nichols flywheel, 2-1-2 57mm Termi system, "S" crank and Ti rods, PCIII, . And had pland on checking and correcting the Squish. All this will have to wait now till its running again and with me off course...

With all this, will there be a nice difference on the 999? Will i have to change the cam timing to suit all the other parts? Will stock cam timing work? Do i have to change the cams and if i don't, will i loose much?

Well, that will be it for now.

Hope theres someone that can help. :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
it's my understanding that the "S" cams really like the full system and high compression. I would think the motor will make more HP, but the stock cams are really going to be limiting you IMHO. Not sure what "S" cams cost, I think around $1200 :(

My plan is to amass the pistons and other parts I need, and buy a S motor, then do a motor swap.

#3 ·
Yea, sound like a better plan.

But.... As far as i know, the '05 and on 999 has the "S" cams in already. it was only the crank and rods that were different between the 999 and 999S after "05.... Or not?

What cam timing specs could i look at, or do anyone have any for me to try?

Cheers for the info guys! :)

#5 ·
you might want to consider purchasing a set of flywheel nuts from Nichols to replace the stock Ducati flywheel nut.

In 1999, Ducati changed the flywheel/rotor mass and have had a problem with the castellated (self-locking) nuts where there isn't enough engagement because of the castellated section being out of specification. The increase in mass, along with the nut self-locking system being compromised, was the problem.

I hadn't heard of this happening for a while - it was a big problem around 1999 - 2002.

The Nichols nuts are just like the 2-nut "jam" system that ducati used for years with no issues.

#8 ·
Actually I just had the same problem last week with flywheel. My shop replaced the parts as the waranty was still in effect. Though in your case if its the third time it happened it may be a legal matter to look into if the parts are not installed right. Btw I asked my race shop about the upgrade flywheel n they hinted on staying away from aluminum flywheels as most race bikes they see tear them up all the time, so I would get the best opinion on flywheels. Best of luck to you n bike

#9 ·
Hoogop said:
osayek,
It was the stock flywheel that came loose, will be using the Nichols next. Heard good things about the Nichols flywheel.

i just ordered my nichols flywheel, however i didnt get the nuts and plan to use the stock ones. i'm hoping the stock nuts are good.

#10 ·
osayek said:
i just ordered my nichols flywheel, however i didnt get the nuts and plan to use the stock ones. i'm hoping the stock nuts are good.
If you turn the stock one around and are not able to thread it onto the crankshaft (castellated - slotted end first), it's good. If you can thread it on by hand.....then get another one and try it. Loctite may not be sufficient because the thread engagement is compromised.

#11 ·
NappyDuc said:
Actually I just had the same problem last week with flywheel. My shop replaced the parts as the waranty was still in effect. Though in your case if its the third time it happened it may be a legal matter to look into if the parts are not installed right. Btw I asked my race shop about the upgrade flywheel n they hinted on staying away from aluminum flywheels as most race bikes they see tear them up all the time, so I would get the best opinion on flywheels. Best of luck to you n bike
I love these idiots (the guys in your shop, mr. Nappy, not you) that make pronouncements about flywheels and other topics.

When Nichols was developing their flywheels, some of the first bikes they were put onto were piloted by guys like Dave Sadowski. Ferracci got one of the first ones, IIRC. They were put on 851 and 888 race bikes in the early 80's.

If you're going to have a flywheel nut come loose, I'd rather have an aluminum flywheel so that the splines won't chew up the splines and threads on the crankshaft - and require replacement of the crankshaft.

They see them "all the time". that's rich. I'vw also seen wrench monkeys that didn't know what they were doing putting the aluminum flywheels on with air impact drivers and warping the flywheels when the directions specifically state not to.

A correctly installed aluminum flywheel will be there functioning fine when you rebuild your bike at 100,000 miles as long as you follow the instructions in installing it. it's not rocket science.

#12 ·
Buckelew,
Yea man, i agree with you...... Idiots!!! Also i never said that the flywheel came loose 3 times, i said that the bike had a oil leak that they couldn't fix.

Never the less.

Could someone maybe help me with the other questiones asked, or should i start a new thread?

#13 ·
I see how some of the people on here are . Actually I guess I mis read your post n commented on what Info I recieved from well known shops in the bay area. And as to put judment on someone you dont know is disrespectful as I was just trying to help out. Are the boath of you mechanics in GP or for Ducati, No so dont comment.

#14 ·
Hi mate,
I'm happy for your help. Don't take things to hart.

Back to the forum or bike let me say. They or the mechanics are from Ducati. How they missed fixing the oil leak the first couple of times i don't know, but they did. And it is still leaking out the clutch cover. But now the motors striped so lets see if it gets fixed along with the main fault this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.