http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 6:21 pm   #1 (permalink)

Turning brake rotors- is it done?

Hi guys!

I was wondering, is it possible to turn down motorcycle rotors to even out the wear on them?

I'm looking for a shop in Los Angeles that can do it too, if it can be done.

Thanks!

-Dave
saki302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 8:43 pm   #2 (permalink)

I know of one guy that had it done and it was a total waste of time. The rotors warped even faster due to being thinner. Are you sure they are out of round? Sometimes different chemicals can glaze the rotors in spots and cause a pulsing feeling.
tomy2k748 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 8:46 pm   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomy2k748
I know of one guy that had it done and it was a total waste of time. The rotors warped even faster due to being thinner. Are you sure they are out of round? Sometimes different chemicals can glaze the rotors in spots and cause a pulsing feeling.
what he said. moto rotors are too thin. you risk having hairline fractures or warping. i'm sure it can be done but i dunno. it maybe a saftey issue.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 9:02 pm   #4 (permalink)

It probably can, but it's not a good idea IMHO. You'll maybe buy yourself a few rides before warpage, crackage, or worse. You're going to need to buy new rotors, so save the $100 in trying to turn them and get a nice set off a eBay. The nice thing about Ducs is that parts like the brakes fit almost every year and almost every model...320mm / 10mm offset / 6-bolt pattern (but please, check first just to be sure!). I got a beautiful pair of Brembo "snowflakes" off a Monster that were nearly brand new on eBay for $200.
sfyamr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 9:55 pm   #5 (permalink)

If they are pulsating like a poor mans ABS it's likely pad crud buildup. Take them to someone you know with a brake lathe and have him hit them with a disc hone.

See the piccys of the setup I made as mine pulsated quite badly. They work great now. I powered the drill press table as well as spinning the hone for a nice even patern.

If you take a micrometer to them you'll likely find that they are thinner near the periphery and thicker towards the inside. This coning wear is typical disc wear. As others said, don't grind them. Try the rotor hone thing first before you replace them. You can get the hone from an auto parts store for $40.
Attached Thumbnails
Turning brake rotors- is it done?-101_0101.jpg   Turning brake rotors- is it done?-img_0210.jpg   Turning brake rotors- is it done?-img_0211.jpg   Turning brake rotors- is it done?-img_0212.jpg   Turning brake rotors- is it done?-img_0219.jpg  

Last edited by Slower than you; Apr 11th, 2007 at 9:58 pm. Reason: addition
Slower than you is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:19 pm   #6 (permalink)

if they are F'ed up, buy new ones. Don't mess about with the brakes...

2001 748 - flat black, monoposto - For Sale?
asujosh1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 1:03 pm   #7 (permalink)
Bobaganoosh

I have used 3M Roloc Discs that have the med (red) scotch brite pad on a die grinder to resurface my rotors and it works great.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/clicherfor3m.html

Resurfaced with a red Roloc

In a Michigan State University study that ranked 34 major countries by their citizens' acceptance of the theory of evolution, the United States ranked second to last (thank you, Turkey). 39% of our adult population rejects the concept.
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.