Turning brake rotors- is it done? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 5:21 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
saki302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 26
Turning brake rotors- is it done?

Hi guys!

I was wondering, is it possible to turn down motorcycle rotors to even out the wear on them?

I'm looking for a shop in Los Angeles that can do it too, if it can be done.

Thanks!

-Dave
saki302 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 7:43 pm
Senior Member
 
tomy2k748's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shelbyville, In, USA
Posts: 309
I know of one guy that had it done and it was a total waste of time. The rotors warped even faster due to being thinner. Are you sure they are out of round? Sometimes different chemicals can glaze the rotors in spots and cause a pulsing feeling.

2000 748
2005 KTM 450SX
1997 KTM 360SX
tomy2k748 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 7:46 pm
Senior Member
 
cheech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, Ca, USA
Posts: 791
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomy2k748
I know of one guy that had it done and it was a total waste of time. The rotors warped even faster due to being thinner. Are you sure they are out of round? Sometimes different chemicals can glaze the rotors in spots and cause a pulsing feeling.
what he said. moto rotors are too thin. you risk having hairline fractures or warping. i'm sure it can be done but i dunno. it maybe a saftey issue.

2000 748S
2000 Vertemati 503SM
cheech is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 8:02 pm
Senior Member
 
sfyamr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SF, CA, USA
Posts: 790
Images: 16
It probably can, but it's not a good idea IMHO. You'll maybe buy yourself a few rides before warpage, crackage, or worse. You're going to need to buy new rotors, so save the $100 in trying to turn them and get a nice set off a eBay. The nice thing about Ducs is that parts like the brakes fit almost every year and almost every model...320mm / 10mm offset / 6-bolt pattern (but please, check first just to be sure!). I got a beautiful pair of Brembo "snowflakes" off a Monster that were nearly brand new on eBay for $200.
sfyamr1 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 8:55 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE Wisc., WI under duress, USA
Posts: 1,688
If they are pulsating like a poor mans ABS it's likely pad crud buildup. Take them to someone you know with a brake lathe and have him hit them with a disc hone.

See the piccys of the setup I made as mine pulsated quite badly. They work great now. I powered the drill press table as well as spinning the hone for a nice even patern.

If you take a micrometer to them you'll likely find that they are thinner near the periphery and thicker towards the inside. This coning wear is typical disc wear. As others said, don't grind them. Try the rotor hone thing first before you replace them. You can get the hone from an auto parts store for $40.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0101.JPG
Views:	548
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	13363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	13364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0211.JPG
Views:	759
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	13365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212.JPG
Views:	1306
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	13366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG
Views:	851
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	13367  


02 998 la strega bella

Last edited by Slower than you; Apr 11th, 2007 at 8:58 pm. Reason: addition
Slower than you is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 11:19 am
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 37
if they are F'ed up, buy new ones. Don't mess about with the brakes...

Royalty Racing - St Louis' best sportbike shop

2001 748 - flat black, monoposto - For Sale?
asujosh1 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:03 pm
Bobaganoosh
 
Synergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 2,048
I have used 3M Roloc Discs that have the med (red) scotch brite pad on a die grinder to resurface my rotors and it works great.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/clicherfor3m.html

Resurfaced with a red Roloc



In a Michigan State University study that ranked 34 major countries by their citizens' acceptance of the theory of evolution, the United States ranked second to last (thank you, Turkey). 39% of our adult population rejects the concept.
Synergy is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2015, 7:16 pm
Senior Member
 
cornerhungry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca, USA
Posts: 682
Thought I'd give this a shot. $40 rotor hone setup vs $800 for new rotors......
I had an old plastic (delerin ? ) cutting board in the garage i'd been saving for a project exactly like this. I thought I had cut them down to far , then i measured. Barely .004 of the surface taken off with a medium grit hone. any buildup is surely gone. and hopefully the pulsing and pumping with it

Thanks to STY ^

[IMG]photo by applefingers, on Flickr[/IMG]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower than you View Post
If they are pulsating like a poor mans ABS it's likely pad crud buildup. Take them to someone you know with a brake lathe and have him hit them with a disc hone.

See the piccys of the setup I made as mine pulsated quite badly. They work great now. I powered the drill press table as well as spinning the hone for a nice even patern.

If you take a micrometer to them you'll likely find that they are thinner near the periphery and thicker towards the inside. This coning wear is typical disc wear. As others said, don't grind them. Try the rotor hone thing first before you replace them. You can get the hone from an auto parts store for $40.
cornerhungry is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2015, 7:52 pm
SP3
Senior Member
 
SP3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canton, Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,638
Images: 6
motorcycle rotors aren't turned anyway. they are Blanchard ground. 2.

if they are actually warped (rarely the case), pitch them. or, use them as yard art.

they most likely have irregular pad material buildup. you can remove it with some elbow grease and various techniques as already laid out by others.

if they have hard spots (irregular blueish spots) it's back to yard art.

1991 851 SP3
1966 250 Monza
1999 Moster 900 City (not so much City anymore)

appearing to appear to know what I know.
SP3 is online now  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2015, 8:18 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlantic Southeast, ,
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerhungry View Post
Thought I'd give this a shot. $40 rotor hone setup vs $800 for new rotors......
I had an old plastic (delerin ? ) cutting board in the garage i'd been saving for a project exactly like this. I thought I had cut them down to far , then i measured. Barely .004 of the surface taken off with a medium grit hone. any buildup is surely gone. and hopefully the pulsing and pumping with it

Thanks to STY ^

[IMG]photo by applefingers, on Flickr[/IMG]
I've rotorhoned many a rotor without having to get into this setup and they've all come out without issue.

Home
Tractionless is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brake question bpad1 Superbikes 1 Dec 24th, 2006 8:37 pm
Brake rotors and parts cleaner? ducatiti Ducati Motorcycle Chat 7 Nov 6th, 2006 3:33 pm
Brake rotors for 749R palooka Superbikes 7 Jul 14th, 2006 2:43 pm

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome