YOYODYNE Slipper Clutch Questions - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 10:54 pm   #1 (permalink)

YOYODYNE Slipper Clutch Questions

My new to me 999S has this slipper.. Clutch is making that horrid squeal during take off, although I do think it's getting better with use. (I did spray lots of Brake Cleaner in there) Also engine braking I can easily lock up the rear wheel. Is that normal slipper operation??

The only other slipper experience I have is my Gixxer, it pretty much free-wheels with very little engine braking no matter what speed or down shifting I throw at it..

Oh.. Can I use any Mfg clutch pack for replacement, or do I have to use YOYO's??

Thanks Guy's..

RC
RC51-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 3:07 am   #2 (permalink)

Tomtom's lithium treatment will cure the squealing, as for the slipper not doing it's job my guess is the stack-height is too high or the springs are too strong. If it's a 6 spring, you can remove 2 opposite springs and see if that helps.
widewalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 12:20 am   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by widewalker View Post
Tomtom's lithium treatment will cure the squealing, as for the slipper not doing it's job my guess is the stack-height is too high or the springs are too strong. If it's a 6 spring, you can remove 2 opposite springs and see if that helps.
Walker I think your on to something with the mention of plate stack..
When I was looking at buying this bike last Jan, I mentioned to the seller clutch sure didn't look new as mentioned in sale ad... He said he made a mistake.. His mechanic "added" a plate, he did not rebuild it.. Obviously sounds I'm in store for a new clutch. Been looking at Barnett, EBC, & Ferrado.. I always had issues back when ever I tried Barnett on my dirt bikes, so I might just shy away from them..

Opinions?? Looking forward to thoughts & suggestions... Or perhaps somebody's got a new spare set they want to unload???

Thanks All..

RC
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 12:36 am   #4 (permalink)
Motorcycle Addict

Got to say I love the slipper clutch in my race bike, but see little purpose for a street bike. Stack height is critical for the proper operation of a slipper, either take it to a competent mechanic or measure the stack height and set it to the proper height for your model slipper.
2002 Triumph Daytona 955CE
2000 Triumph Sprint ST Long Distance Runner
1996 Ducati 900 SS/CR A Just Fun bike
PhxSprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 11:22 am   #5 (permalink)

Does anyone know if I should install the wavy curved clutch steel in my slipper clutch pack? I'm thinking no but I'm curious what others have done. The plates are the Barnett kit on a 6 spring slipper...The Barnett kit comes stock for the street with one steel that has a wave to it.

BTW if you remove 2 springs from a 6 spring clutch you will get slippage at high power settings. I tested it last track day when I had some clutch springs contact the cover and had to jimmy up a patch for the day.
superfly999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 11:46 am   #6 (permalink)

Quote superfly:
"BTW if you remove 2 springs from a 6 spring clutch you will get slippage at high power settings."

It depends entirely on the strength of the springs. There are MANY springs out there of differing strength. Different applications require different strength springs. I had the choice of 3 different spring strengths when I bought my slipper.

A plate was probably added to keep the stack-height within spec as the plates wore down and now the plates need replacing. How bad is the basket? I went to 48t basket and sintered plates. It's worth the extra bucks!

As for clutch kit brand..I avoid Barnett, too many unsatisfactory experiences.
widewalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 1:35 pm   #7 (permalink)

The Barnett kit came with a convex plate and I think the stock bike comes with the convex plate as it states in the service manual for the 999. Just curious if people use it in their slippers.

I realize its hard to believe that 6 springs works and 4 will slip. The springs in question were the Barnett stainless steel ones. There was nothing that was wrong with the clutch other than a 30% reduction in spring force wouldn't hold the 999 after 7000RPM at full throttle.
superfly999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 2:17 pm   #8 (permalink)
Senior Misfit

You can make this clutch work, np, just take your time and learn how it functions.
A slipper takes knowledge and patience, or just plain luck of course.

Anyhow the result is very nice
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 9:10 pm   #9 (permalink)

ECS Slipper Clutch Install on Vimeo
1999 Ducati ST2
2003 Ducati 999R
2006 BMW R1200RT
My Blog-
http://lidzduc.blogspot.com/
tricklidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 11:14 pm   #10 (permalink)

You guy's are the bestes...

RC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement