Synthetic or Non-Synthetic for Break-In - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

View Poll Results: Did you break your bike in with Synthetic or Non-Synthetic Oil?
Synthetic 34 61.82%
Non-Synthetic 21 38.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 8:14 am   #1 (permalink)

Synthetic or Non-Synthetic for Break-In

I know this has been talked about over and over again but I wanted to take a poll on the matter as I am still deciding on what will be best for my 1098.

Thanks.
Jason
VisitorQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 9:08 am   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisitorQ
I know this has been talked about over and over again but I wanted to take a poll on the matter as I am still deciding on what will be best for my 1098.

Thanks.
Jason
You don't have the bike yet and your being anal already

Donít worry about the laws of physics, it will come fine you.

Now
2005 749S (Coming Soon)

Past
2000 748 BI
1998 916 Mono
2006 CBR600RR
cachee0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 9:10 am   #3 (permalink)

It is going to be full of fluids when you get it so use the oil that is in it.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 9:23 am   #4 (permalink)

Why is this an issue? Ducati puts oil in it for break-in so this shouldn't even be a consideration.
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 9:29 am   #5 (permalink)

If it's anything like my Duc 916 the warranty would be void if you didn't run "AGIP 4T" full synthetic. I personally think that it should not be a synthetic that is used for break-in - but run what the service manual states or risk the consequences...
'97 Ducati 916 - retired
duc995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:48 am   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 853MACHINE
It is going to be full of fluids when you get it so use the oil that is in it.
That oil is Synthetic as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Why is this an issue? Ducati puts oil in it for break-in so this shouldn't even be a consideration.
Because I was told that synthetic oil was too slick and not good for ring seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachee0
You don't have the bike yet and your being anal already
I take extremely good care of the stuff I own (ask anyone who knows me). I only want what is best for the bike. I want to break it in the correct way, yeilding the most HP from the motor and best/ proper ring seal.

I mean I know this topic has been beat into the ground so I figured I would stick up a poll so people could just click rather than discuss what has already been talked about.

I am not sure how many other bikes come with synthetic oil in them but Ducati is the first I have heard of...

Jason

Last edited by VisitorQ; Mar 6th, 2007 at 10:59 am.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:38 am   #7 (permalink)

You again??? Are you even going to be satisfied with the answer this time when it's overwhelming to use synthetic, or are you going to start something else until you get the answer you want?? Man, I bet this is going to drive you completely BONKERS if it ends up being 50/50!!

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:46 am   #8 (permalink)

The oil that comes stock from the dealer is fully synn already...
Motowheels gas cap
Full floating rotors
Pitbull spools
Cycle Cat GP shifter
Ducati Performace 41t rear sporket
Monoposta conversion
Remus slip on
Speedymoto SS springs and caps
Silverstar bulb
S4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:54 am   #9 (permalink)

I just purchased a new '06 ST3, waiting for it to be shipped as we speak. When I get it I am going to drain the oil, replace the filter and fill it with 10W-40 Valvoline non-synthetic.

I am then going to break it in per mototune's recommendation, the street method. After 20 miles I will drain the oil and replace the filter with the same as above and probably run that for 1,000 to 1,500 miles. From that point forward I will use a synthetic but same weight, preferable for twins.

I have never done it like this before so this is a first. I really won't know if its better than the "recommended" method but if it blows up, burns oil, runs bad etc I will post it here.

This is an endless debate with great points on both sides. Since I have tried the other approach (with no adverse results that I know of) I want to try this approach. I typically have not kept my bikes very long but that has changed so I don't have a good long history with the recommended break in. It was a Honda though and I personally think they are the best built bikes in the world, just everyone has one.

For what its worth, this will be my approach. Hell it might be wrong but damit I will do something.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:08 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy
You again??? Are you even going to be satisfied with the answer this time when it's overwhelming to use synthetic, or are you going to start something else until you get the answer you want?? Man, I bet this is going to drive you completely BONKERS if it ends up being 50/50!!
Yeah I all know we want to hear what we want. I am just trying to make sure ya know and that is why I put the poll. Like I said, to just get a strait yes or no answer so I would not get blasted for touching this topic again. =]

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement