doing rear sprocket, need some input - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 5:43 pm   #11 (permalink)

whats stock rear? 36?
jamesmccain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 5:46 pm   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmccain
So in that case, whats the pros of swapping to a 520 race chain then? I looking at the ERV3 actually... with a 520.

also note, around 9500 mileage... I take it front should be done too?

The chain you are looking at (520ERV3) is lighter and stronger than the stock (or most other) 525 pitch chains. At least you are looking at the right chain. No way I would want to put a weaker chain on a 999!!! The only benefit to the 520 chain is reduced weight/rotating mass. This is ideally for the racer who is trying to drop every ounce he can when on a race bike that it actually makes a difference. I find it hard to believe that you or I on a 70/30 % street/track bike, would ever know the difference in that 8 ounces of weight savings... But that's just me. For me, it's not that I don't think it's worth it, it just more so that I don't think it's worth the cost $$$. The cost of the initial upgrade, plus the cost of sooner chain replacements in the future. Got too many other CF goodies I'd rather invest in than spend that money on a 520 conversion.

As for the front sproket change now, that's mixed also. Some flat out say yes, some say depends on what the sproket looks like. My SS has 15,000 miles on it and the sprokets look great right now. No fish-hooking or anything. I'll make that decision to replace both when the chain 'needs' replacing next time.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 6:58 pm   #13 (permalink)
mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmccain
whats stock rear? 36?
IIRC 15/36 from da factory.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 6:19 am   #14 (permalink)

Personally, I've never understood the urge to swap a 525 chain for a 520.

If weight savings is your goal then you're far better off either losing a bit of weight yourself (the cheapest mod there is) or going for lighter parts elsewhere on the bike.

A broken engine case from a chain failure at speed isn't something you'd wish for and the slight weight savings going from 525 to 520 certainly don't justify such a risk.

That's just my thoughts on the subject.

You do whatever you feel like but keep in mind a 999(S/R) produces quite a bit of torque and at some stage it might exceed the tensile strength of a 520 chain.
molasses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:25 pm   #15 (permalink)

I went to the 40 tooth on the 999r and think it's the best mod yet. It was crazy fast before. Now I'm afraid of it and it's been in the garage ever since. Ya Sure!
dzucati999r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:53 pm   #16 (permalink)
Omnipotent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molasses
If weight savings is your goal then you're far better off either losing a bit of weight yourself (the cheapest mod there is) or going for lighter parts elsewhere on the bike.
+1

Never fails to amaze me how much people will spend to reduce the weight of the bike by 10# when they're at least 30# overweight...and most of that weight sits ABOVE the saddle making it even worse.

How about a regimen of regular exercise and a responsible diet?

Doesn't cost a penny and may even help you live longer too!
critterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.