ducati 999 vs r1 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 10:00 pm   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guatemala, Guatemala, Guatemala
Posts: 10
ducati 999 vs r1

I am racing this year on a ducati 999 on the superbike class of my country (Guatemala). I have been analyzing the Stats between the ducati 999 vs r1, if someone can help me with the comparison it would be really helpful.

ducati 999 2006
181 kg 142hp torque 116N 0.78 HP/kg (0%) 0.64N/Kg (15.63%)

Yamaha r1 2006
193 kg 172.6hp torque 106N 0.89 HP/kg (12.36%) 0.54N/Kg (0%)

This comparison is between bikes only i am not taking piloting or cornering into the equation its basically a drag race between them.

PS:I already know ducati is better at cornering through.

Best regards,

DT
shad3slay3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 2:43 am   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 1,359
Not sure what analysis you are looking for Shad, especially since you seem to have chosen you ride already - the 999, but here's what I believe to be true:

The 06 R1 was the last year of the 5-valve per cylinder Genesis motor. It made huge power up top but lacked bottom and mid-range compared with it's other 4-cylinder rivals, let alone twins like the 999. As a road bike the R1's valve layout gave 24k mile valve adjust intervals, which was a miracle of money-saving against the 999's big $$$ every 6k miles or so.

In racing, I'd expect the Duc to excel at tracks where powering quickly out of slow turns was more important than top speed. The R1 would trump the Duc in flowing courses with long straights, all else being equal.

I imagine it would be easier to keep the R1 in racing shape; less costly too. If you have the spare parts and a good mechanic on your side, though, it won't matter that much.

Best of Luck in your season!
__________________
2011 1198SP
EagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 9:22 am   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MaDd0g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida, FL, USA
Posts: 236
I think what he is looking for is some reencouragement that he's not going to get his ass handed to him. Which in my opinion any time your out horsepowered too greatly is going to happen

Although I do enjoy whooping my buds in the corners on my 749s vs. his GSXR-750. And then I am sure he enjoys flying by me right afterwards
__________________
2003 Ducati 749s/924s - Yellow
MIVV Twin GP-Style Slip-ons, Undertail, Titanium -- MIVV Catalytic Removal Pipe
Sound clip below -- Before Big Bore Kit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FM0awAdmV4s
DDM HID Kit, 55W, 9005, 5000K High & Lo beams -- Headlight mod: Both lights on when highs are on
Rizoma Lux Billet Grips Color Natural/Silver -- Rizoma Levers Color Black -- "Spy R" Rizoma Bar End Mirrors Color Black
Sargent Seat WS-536-19 -- FABBRI "Solo Pista" Windscreen
520 Chain Conversion & 41T Rear Sprocket
Pistal Pistons: Big Bore Kit
Microtech ECU
All work done & Dyno tuned by Melillimoto Ducati Ocala, Fl.
MaDd0g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 11:04 am   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guatemala, Guatemala, Guatemala
Posts: 10
Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDd0g View Post
I think what he is looking for is some reencouragement that he's not going to get his ass handed to him. Which in my opinion any time your out horsepowered too greatly is going to happen

Although I do enjoy whooping my buds in the corners on my 749s vs. his GSXR-750. And then I am sure he enjoys flying by me right afterwards
Well i dont think thats the case, i have raced in disadvantage with my R6 2004 many times. I am just trying to find all the weaknesses of the ducati 999 because i havent test it even once and they will give it to me to try it 3 days before the race. I know that the ducati 999 is better at cornering and the torque is really usefulll between slow turns, yet i am trying to find out how much at disadvanteg i am on the principal straight vs the R1. Well anyways i will be racing vs R1 2012, CBR 1000cc 2012. And my companion of sponsorship will be racing the new Penigale 1199 on may. So i am really at disadvantage. BUt yet i need this stats to improve my riding on the bike so i am better than them. If there any information u can share with me that can help me i would be really grateful. Is there a simulator of bikes or something like that?
shad3slay3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 11:07 am   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guatemala, Guatemala, Guatemala
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRider View Post
Not sure what analysis you are looking for Shad, especially since you seem to have chosen you ride already - the 999, but here's what I believe to be true:

The 06 R1 was the last year of the 5-valve per cylinder Genesis motor. It made huge power up top but lacked bottom and mid-range compared with it's other 4-cylinder rivals, let alone twins like the 999. As a road bike the R1's valve layout gave 24k mile valve adjust intervals, which was a miracle of money-saving against the 999's big $$$ every 6k miles or so.

In racing, I'd expect the Duc to excel at tracks where powering quickly out of slow turns was more important than top speed. The R1 would trump the Duc in flowing courses with long straights, all else being equal.

I imagine it would be easier to keep the R1 in racing shape; less costly too. If you have the spare parts and a good mechanic on your side, though, it won't matter that much.

Best of Luck in your season!
Thanks for all your help. All the information u gave me is really useful.
shad3slay3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 11:09 am   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MaDd0g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida, FL, USA
Posts: 236
Good luck, I do enjoy my Duc and trying to make up for less power with more skillful riding. Hope it treats you right.
__________________
2003 Ducati 749s/924s - Yellow
MIVV Twin GP-Style Slip-ons, Undertail, Titanium -- MIVV Catalytic Removal Pipe
Sound clip below -- Before Big Bore Kit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FM0awAdmV4s
DDM HID Kit, 55W, 9005, 5000K High & Lo beams -- Headlight mod: Both lights on when highs are on
Rizoma Lux Billet Grips Color Natural/Silver -- Rizoma Levers Color Black -- "Spy R" Rizoma Bar End Mirrors Color Black
Sargent Seat WS-536-19 -- FABBRI "Solo Pista" Windscreen
520 Chain Conversion & 41T Rear Sprocket
Pistal Pistons: Big Bore Kit
Microtech ECU
All work done & Dyno tuned by Melillimoto Ducati Ocala, Fl.
MaDd0g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 12:40 pm   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vcyclenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: cape coral, fl, usa
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad3slay3r View Post
I am racing this year on a ducati 999 on the superbike class of my country (Guatemala). I have been analyzing the Stats between the ducati 999 vs r1, if someone can help me with the comparison it would be really helpful.

ducati 999 2006
181 kg 142hp torque 116N 0.78 HP/kg (0%) 0.64N/Kg (15.63%)

Yamaha r1 2006
193 kg 172.6hp torque 106N 0.89 HP/kg (12.36%) 0.54N/Kg (0%)

This comparison is between bikes only i am not taking piloting or cornering into the equation its basically a drag race between them.

PS:I already know ducati is better at cornering through.

Best regards,

DT

I have actually owned both bikes, a well modded 06 r1 will pretty much hand a well modded 06 999 its ass, at least in a straight line.

my r1 with just a full system and a very good tune put 165hp at the back wheel on the same dyno my 999 with a half system was a tick below 130. of coarse you results may vary and a full system would help the 999 but no way are you gonna pick up close to 35 hp.

plus the r1 is considerbly lighter at least in street trim but im not sure about in race trim
__________________
vcyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 1:05 pm   #8 (permalink)
Ban Hammer
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lowville, NY, USA
Posts: 19,592
Images: 2
Racing a 999 against a field consisting of all the latest and greatest open class bikes from the other manufacturers will be a little like bringing a very spendy knife to a gun fight. You'll be at a substantial weight and power deficit even if you out-spend them 3 to 1.
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure Black
2005 Ducati ST3 Black
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 2:23 pm   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
whippersnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, , New Zealand
Posts: 2,655
Can you say 'Blew By You'?
__________________
______________________________________________
Ducati News, Reviews and Opinion ducatinewstoday.com or Tweet me @ducatinewstoday or Like Me on Facebook
whippersnapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 2:54 pm   #10 (permalink)
Senior Narcissista
 
TomTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Capitol of Tuning, Arboga, Sweden
Posts: 4,265
In the dyno I use, 999S full system 127-ish, R1 06 Full sys 159hp, same correction.
And the 999 will shine to 9,5k and the R1 will shine to 12k, which in effect means the R1 can run the tq times that and it adds up to A LOT more bottom end TOO.
Sorry, its a big lose.
TomTom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:58 pm.



Ducati.ms Web Community is powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum