http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum (http://www.ducati.ms/forums/)
-   Superbikes (http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/)
-   -   EVOLUZIONE 998 Low Temp Fan Switch (http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/130537-evoluzione-998-low-temp-fan-switch.html)

dalves11 Feb 24th, 2012 10:08 am

EVOLUZIONE 998 Low Temp Fan Switch

Since Evoluzione is out of business anybody have a lead on where I can still get a Low Temp Switch for a 998.
Thanks
Dan

RedSubmarine Feb 24th, 2012 10:52 am

You could watch ebay for when one pops up.

Why don't you just wire a toggle switch from your local hardware store to the fan?

TomTom Feb 24th, 2012 11:07 am

+1, the white big thing is just a temperature relay closing the circuit at a certain temp, just replace it with a manual switch.
998 ecu is a really early one and doesnt check fan function.

ducky996r Feb 24th, 2012 11:18 am

I have the evo low temp switch on my bike and it works great. Ive also been curious to put a manual switch in. Ive read the 996 right up on it, but never found a write up on the 998. assuming the wiring is different.

dalves11 Feb 24th, 2012 11:31 am

I like the idea of it being automated instead of keeping an even closer eye on the temp gauge and toggling the switch. But if I can't find a kit that's what I'll do.

ducky996r Feb 24th, 2012 11:37 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalves11 (Post 1285795)
I like the idea of it being automated instead of keeping an even closer eye on the temp gauge and toggling the switch. But if I can't find a kit that's what I'll do.

I tend to agree with you, But it would be nice to have a switch also, So that when I know when Im going to be in a congested part of the city or sitting waiting for a while, I could just flip in on manually prior to that. So I know for sure it wont get hot. 998's run really hot.

TomTom Feb 24th, 2012 11:38 am

Shouldnt be a biggie getting a different temp thermostat in there doing the job.
I never cared as its not as hot around here, seldom over 35 celsius (close to 100 fahrenheit), and I have almost too much cooling now.
Wait, I havent even got a fan :) , but I used to when streeting/stock cooler, although it was only engaged once over 17000kms.
When converting engine I had to pay attention to these things, I did, conclusion cut the purple wire.

I'm surprised US companies dont provide improved coolers for you.
Seen one for newer bikes, thats all.

davy.j Feb 24th, 2012 4:18 pm

I fitted an Australian aftermarket fan switch from "Tridon'
Thermo Fan Switches | Tridon page 3

Part #TS221, it's temp range is 87 to 82 degrees C
It comes on early enough to stop the thermal runaway you get when they don't come on until the engine is too hot.

I have a manual switch as well & have fitted a warning light to come on at 82 degrees to remind me to get that fan on early when I hit traffic.
If I miss all that, the auto switch comes on & saves the day for me.

Just be aware when fitting a manual fan switch that the relay is always on so the switch actually handles the full current
to the fan motor same as the thermal switch does.
I measured the draw at around 3 amps on kick in.

DucEast Feb 24th, 2012 5:02 pm

I purchased a low mileage 2002 998 last summer and I was concerned with the high running temps when running in traffic. The previous owner was also concerned with the high temps and had the bike checked out by the Ducshop. The Ducshop ran the bike on their dyno and checked the running temps. Their findings were that the gauge was displaying 15 degrees to high. According to Mark at the Ducshop it is common for the gauge to be off. The fans were starting up as expected at about 210 F. He recommended against the low temp fan switch as he felt it would trigger the fans far more than what was necessary. He also pointed out that the 998 has two fans for plenty of cooling so there was little danger of over heating the engine.

cafePete Oct 15th, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks for the info. Can I ask if you picked up the sensor from tridon?
Or from another site? Having a hard time finding one.
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by davy.j (Post 1286057)
I fitted an Australian aftermarket fan switch from "Tridon'
Thermo Fan Switches | Tridon page 3

Part #TS221, it's temp range is 87 to 82 degrees C
It comes on early enough to stop the thermal runaway you get when they don't come on until the engine is too hot.

I have a manual switch as well & have fitted a warning light to come on at 82 degrees to remind me to get that fan on early when I hit traffic.
If I miss all that, the auto switch comes on & saves the day for me.

Just be aware when fitting a manual fan switch that the relay is always on so the switch actually handles the full current
to the fan motor same as the thermal switch does.
I measured the draw at around 3 amps on kick in.