1199 panigale is not tiny.. it is the longest! - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2012, 2:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crarrs View Post
Compare the horsepower of all the bikes on the list and you'll see a pretty good correlation between power and wheelbase.

All that power is no good if you can't use it all without flipping the bike over backwards. Compare the original 900RR to the wheelbase and power figures for a modern 600 and you'll see something else that's pretty telling as well.
i understand that you need to get the power down to road, but it doesn't effect agility like in chicane?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2012, 11:22 am

The bike' ability to transfer will be related to other factors, such as CofG and rake.

Wheelbase may only limit the rider's ability to negotiate a tight turn, based on the rider's ability to lean it over. The further the bike leans over, the shorter the wheelbase, so a long wheelbase will have to lean over more to a given turn radius than a shorter wheelbase.

Brian C.
'01 BCM 795SS / Track Toy
'03 999 w/50mm termi, S cams, BST wheels / daily commuter?

www.cittacorsa.com
1(888)763-4869
Whether it's the City or Track, it's Citta Corsa!
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2012, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast750ss View Post
The bike' ability to transfer will be related to other factors, such as CofG and rake.

Wheelbase may only limit the rider's ability to negotiate a tight turn, based on the rider's ability to lean it over. The further the bike leans over, the shorter the wheelbase, so a long wheelbase will have to lean over more to a given turn radius than a shorter wheelbase.
thanks for the explanation, not really sure what cofg and rake mean.

so if i have the skills to lean the bike further, the extra 3-4cm doesn't really matter. right?

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by superquadro View Post
thanks for the explanation, not really sure what cofg and rake mean.

so if i have the skills to lean the bike further, the extra 3-4cm doesn't really matter. right?
CofG = center of gravity. the lower the better for handling. 1199 has the exhaust on the bottom of the bike to bring the cofg lower.(they tried many new things to bring down the cofg) all performance vehicle (bikes, cars... etc) tries very hard to bring down the cofg as close to the ground level for better handling.

rake.... well check this site out... they explain it pretty well.

Motorcycle rake, trail and offset explained | bikearama motorcycle blog

but long story short.. "The rake angle effects steering ability, the smaller the rake angle then the easier the bike is to corner but will be less stable in a straight line."
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:14 pm

yes, you are correct in saying it's the longest. It's still a tiny bike compared to 999 or 1198 generation. Smaller everywhere(and lighter) but it still a very long bike as you stated.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2012, 10:17 am

Be careful not to mistake CofG with Center mass. It can be easy to think they are the same, how are very different in application.

I just took a look at that site and want to bring up that there some inaccuracies I found there, so be careful in what you read.

Brian C.
'01 BCM 795SS / Track Toy
'03 999 w/50mm termi, S cams, BST wheels / daily commuter?

www.cittacorsa.com
1(888)763-4869
Whether it's the City or Track, it's Citta Corsa!
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2012, 2:29 pm

thanks for the explanation. i read a little bit and found this:
http://www.renj.com/content/Motorcyc...ndSteering.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochurush View Post

but long story short.. "The rake angle effects steering ability, the smaller the rake angle then the easier the bike is to corner but will be less stable in a straight line."
so what make the 1199 the longest, i guess he doesn't have steering stability problem, so he has a large rake angle, (relative to other sport bikes) ?

Last edited by superquadro; Mar 7th, 2012 at 4:01 pm.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by freighttriain View Post
also remember...
the 1199 is 17mm longer than a RSV4... which is about 11/16" of an inch... but the RSV4 has more space for the rider.
The seat of the 1199 is 30mm closer than the seat of a 1198... which is about 1 1/8".. so the 1198 had over an extra inch available to the rider as well... so both the RSV4 and the 1198 have more room for it's rider... regardless of wheelbase...

The theory of "why" the riding position is smaller... i get. But for me , Ducati went from a tolerable distance...(1198) barely... to one that may be too cramped for street riding at all... (1199)..

I'm a tad over 6'2"... the 1198 was tight for me... really tight....
and now the 1199 is smaller and tighter still....

I think some are thinking that because it has a longer wheelbase , it will have more room for the rider. It is in fact the opposite... this bike will be a VERY committed riding position. The most committed that a Ducati sport bike has seen in a long time... and one of the most committed riding positions of all Superbikes... period. It is aimed at the track... and like days of 'ol , it will feel like it too.

I wouldn't turn down a ride on one , but it would be a short ride...
I don't think you are looking at this correctly, as those who have actually ridden the Panigale say its more comfortable for all rider sizes.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2012, 6:33 pm

The shorter distance to the bars the 1199 has does not mean there is less room. It allows the option for the rider to be more upright which increases the distance between the torso and legs, hence it is more roomy for the rider with a shorter distance to the bars.
A longer distance to the bars would have been less roomy, forcing you to be lower to reach the bars and not allowing you to sit up as high if you want.

"We just want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the Man"
Current bikes
1987 Honda VFR700 White
2003 MV Agusta F4 Red Silver
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode