http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Superbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2011, 3:35 am   #1 (permalink)

Can brake pads absorb brake fluid

was bleading my brakes on my 848 and my Mv F4. I blead the 848 without a problem but somehow manged to spill brake fluid on my right(gas) pads and rotor on my F4. I was woundering if I can use some brake cleaner to get rid/wash off some of that brake fluid? If not what can I use? I am scared to take out my F4 since I feel like my front brakes are going to fail. Sorry for bringing an F4 into a Ducati forum.
desmo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2011, 4:22 am   #2 (permalink)

Brake cleaner works wonders on... ummm... brakes...
Ben710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:42 am   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben710 View Post
Brake cleaner works wonders on... ummm... brakes...
ok, thanks. After I spray it down with brake cleaner I should be good right?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:52 pm   #4 (permalink)

Hi,
Brake cleaner is some pretty nasty stuff and can do pretty nasty things to paint an clear coats. I would remove the caliper pull it away from the bike and spay the heck out of the pads. To clean the rotors you need to spay some brake ckeaner into a clean rag and wipe down the rotor.
Brake fluid is pretty nasty too so if you spilled some you need to clean it up quickly and wash the area with water and a mild soap.

Gray
herrgray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2011, 2:15 pm   #5 (permalink)

Replace brake pads on both sides, unless you want to take chance that brake cleaner will without question remove the brake fluid. You measure the risk but in my humble opinion, remove the caliper, clean with brake fluid and replace the pads in both calipers.

good luck
Old May 23rd, 2011, 8:03 pm   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrgray View Post
Hi,
Brake cleaner is some pretty nasty stuff and can do pretty nasty things to paint an clear coats. I would remove the caliper pull it away from the bike and spay the heck out of the pads. To clean the rotors you need to spay some brake ckeaner into a clean rag and wipe down the rotor.
Brake fluid is pretty nasty too so if you spilled some you need to clean it up quickly and wash the area with water and a mild soap.

Gray
+1, the best solution is to pull the caliper and remove the pads altogether, it take only a few extra minutes to pull them after the caliper is off. That way you can rinse them off thoroughly without fear of damaging your bodywork or wheel paint. Brake cleaner is nasty stuff but its the ONLY way to remove all traces of brake fluid.
pjonte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2011, 8:14 pm   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo2008 View Post
was bleading my brakes on my 848 and my Mv F4. I blead the 848 without a problem but somehow manged to spill brake fluid on my right(gas) pads and rotor on my F4. I was woundering if I can use some brake cleaner to get rid/wash off some of that brake fluid? If not what can I use? I am scared to take out my F4 since I feel like my front brakes are going to fail. Sorry for bringing an F4 into a Ducati forum.
I swapped out my brake lines last year and bungled the removal of the old rear line, clumsily dumping a generous load of brake fluid (old and gross) all over not just one, but both pads. Soaked the whole top of the caliper essentially. I quickly got the brake fluid off of the wheel and tire with a rag, then some simplegreen and water within a minute or so - zero damage to the finish.

I pulled the caliper out, decided to service the whole thing since it was off, and since the rear pads were pretty new, I super hosed them down with brake cleaner. Maybe 3 or 4, 5second bursts of cleaner. They were super cold after the second blasting, let them warm back up and got them again. After cleaning everything, caliper, rotor, myself, reassembly flush and bleed, the pads were completely fine. 2 track days and a few thousand miles later and they are still working great. So I can say that brake cleaner did a great job on my clumsy mess, possible that it will fix you up as well.

That said, I wonder how different compounds would vary in this situation. And, I think that if I'd done this misdeed to my front pads, I would replace them with new ones. But I'm a nervous type.
bananaboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2011, 9:10 pm   #8 (permalink)

Best thing to use on brake fluid spills is water, yes, Water!
Brake fluid completely dissolves in water washing away clean.

This only works with glycol based Dot 3 and 4 and probably 5.1 (synthetic glycol?)

Dot 5 is silicone based, don't know if it will mix, but unless it's a Haaley you should not be using DOT5
Dmitry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2011, 9:40 pm   #9 (permalink)

Christ, it's impossible to avoid spilling at least a little brake fluid when you bleed the brakes, and in my experience a clean rag and maybe a q-tip works fine to clean it off. If you really get a lot on the pads and/or rotors, you should clean them with brake cleaner, but otherwise some of the advice here is more than a little paranoid...
JeffKoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:16 am   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKoch View Post
Christ, it's impossible to avoid spilling at least a little brake fluid when you bleed the brakes, and in my experience a clean rag and maybe a q-tip works fine to clean it off. If you really get a lot on the pads and/or rotors, you should clean them with brake cleaner, but otherwise some of the advice here is more than a little paranoid...
Thanks everyone for the advise. I rather not change the pads.I put new pads onthe F4 about 2 days before I spilled the fluid. I was trying to remove the caliper but I noticed that the bolt was stripped, How do I remove the bolt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.