Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

xx9 simple exhaust options?

964 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  tye1138 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some exhaust options to get rid of the massive can under the tail.

I'm really looking for an exhaust that is minimalist. Something that would effectively eliminate that huge can under the tail.

Ideally, something that wouldn't require an entirely different tune just from the exhaust.

I'm not looking for just an increase in power, I'm looking to decrease the weight up top really.

What options are out there?

I've even thought about going to a shop like Martin Bros. here in Dallas and having them fab up an exhaust, but without knowing what this would do to the tuning, I'm not going to jump without doing the research first.

Any input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Any changes in back pressure will effect the motors output and it will need a slight change in the map to not run more lean then it already does run.

You for sure can have someone fab up something to fit in the tail section. I've seen it done before. It looks REALLY ugly though, as two canisters next to each other don't quite play along nicely in that same space. :(

#3 ·
Any time you affect an engine's breathing you affect the tuning. The XX9 series was already seriously lean at the low end, leading to stumbling and stalling. You will be doing yourself a favor by getting that tuned out of the bike right off, so you might as well find the exhaust system you like and then go get it tuned properly. You will be much happier in the end, all 'round.

#5 ·
I'm not looking to go with two cans. I'm looking to eliminate cans all together.

Something more along the lines of Double Dog.

I understand that tuning will be necessary. What I'm referring to is not needing to go and purchase something to the extent of a Nemesis in order to make the bike run well on the track with said exhaust.

Disclaimer:
Tye: keep in mind, when I say run well, I'm not talking about scream. I'm talking about run well.

The bike already has a half Termi system with the ECU for it. (749R) If I can have it run as well and eliminate the weight, then I've achieved my goal. If it would gain some usable power and still maintain reliability, I'm even better with it. However, that's not the ultimate goal at this point.

#6 ·
The Double Dog system immediately came to mind... but they are expensive as I assume they come w/ a new subframe and seat????
Otherwise your SOL unless you start saving your money for the new 2012 Ducati superbike as it's suppose to come w/ a low slung exhaust system like the CBR...

#7 ·
Umm, have you ever run one of these motors without a canister/sound dampening? HOLY SHIT its one loud SOB! You gotta use some sort of sound dampening system.

As I said before, anytime you change the dynamics of a motor's intake or exhaust, you need to alter the fuel map. Yes it will run fine without altering the map, but for how long? It already runs super lean stock so it will pass DOT emissions, I can't even imagine how much leaner it will run with much less back pressure. It could literally spit out flames and burn a hole in the piston if your not careful. Just because it runs, doesn't mean its running right...

You don't have to go "all-out" with the mapping, you can buy a used PC3 and have someone dyno it for you, thats pretty cheap.

#8 ·
As I said: I understand that it wil need to be tuned. I was trying to get the point across that I didn't want to look into the project if it ment my only vable option was something as cost prohibitive as the Nemisis.

If a PC3 will work fine, then I'm all good. I had been doing some reading elsewhere indicating that the PC3 was a waste. Then again, I believe that was by the same individual who put their entire racing season on credit cards and thus money was no object, only the best would do, everything else was crap.

#9 ·
If a PC3 will work fine, then I'm all good. I had been doing some reading elsewhere indicating that the PC3 was a waste. Then again, I believe that was by the same individual who put their entire racing season on credit cards and thus money was no object, only the best would do, everything else was crap.
PC3's are junk and a complete waste for racing... BUT they do function and if you just need something to function, why not? They're cheap, program it once and walk away sorta deal...

When you're racing, you need way more then function. I spent more then $3k on my electronics package alone, it was the most costly part of upgrading my 749R for racing. In the long-run it was the best choice as the Nemesis/02 kit and lap timing system was all able to move from one bike to the next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.