Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Magnesium or Aluminum?

10K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  Shez748 
#1 ·
How do you tell the difference between magnesium and aluminum Marchesini 5 spokes?

#2 ·
You may not be able to tell by look. There would be a weight difference though. The magnesium would be lighter of course. I am sure that this is not the answer you were looking for, but the only one I can think of :)

#3 · (Edited)
Overall Magnesium is the lightest material besides carbon for wheels. If you want to save weight go with magnesium. If you just want a different look, save money and do alum.
Just pick them up! LOL
I think the only real way to tell if there were no label would be to look at the unpainted part of the wheel(inside hub) and you should be able to tell pretty easy.
Magnesium has a goldish metallic color :D

#4 ·
Magnesium is actually flammable so take a blow torch to them and the ones that catch fire and potentially explode are the magnesium :)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

#6 · (Edited)
I believe that the Mag rims and the Alu rims differ on the spokes. The Mag are smooth, similar to the Marvic finish (the marvic are more round though), and the Alu have a line running down the spokes. Look at my rear rim in the photo, you can see the smooth that I am talking about. Then look at this 996's March and you will see the line I am talking about. That is how it was explained to me when I was trying to figure out if I had Mag rims on this puppy when I purchased it.

<---No line

<---See the line

#15 ·
I thought the same thing. I thought the Mag wheels had a smooth squared off spoke and the Alumi wheels had a little ridge in the spoke. I just wanted to see what you guys had to say to confirm my thoughts. I just bought another 998R this past weekend and the seller gave me a bunch of spares with the bike including Mag wheels. I have attached a pic of the wheels. They are Mag. correct? Thanks for the input.....except the guy who suggested setting them on fire. ;)

Attachments

#8 ·
That is true, but I was speaking from the physical appearence. Also I did not know anyone else with a Duc, had never had any other wheel, and was not at a point where I was disassembling anything from my bike, even the rear wheel. Now is a different story, and picking up the rim is so effortless, I know without ever touching an Aluminum rim the difference. Not everyone has access a variety of parts so that they can do side by side comparisons :)

#18 ·
I can confirm that the difference is the form of the spoke, there is no ridge on the mag wheels.

My 748RS has 'non standard' mag wheels and the spokes on the front also look bigger. My 996s has standard alloy wheels complete with ridge.

As for weight difference I have no idea as to the gain.

As long as you keep the paint in good condition they stand the test of time.

I have a Campagnolo mag wheels on my 30 years old TZ350 and they look like new.

#21 ·
Ha ha, I didn't know about the ridge thing with those single siders wheels. A mate got some of the gold five spokies for his 916 and they don't have the little ridge bit but we all thought they were aluminium (so did the shop!). Are we all totally sure that Marchesini didn't punch out aluminium five spokes wheels with the flat face (no ridge bit)?

#22 ·
Are we all totally sure that Marchesini didn't punch out aluminium five spokes wheels with the flat face (no ridge bit)?
No i´m only not sure because of the latest 2004 998FE that comes with 5-spokes no ridge and also the latest S2R and S4R and this ones are aluminium for sure!

I think the diference is minimal.... the Mags are more like with rounded 5-spokes... and that ones with no ridge to, that comes in 998FE/S2R/S4R are more cubic!

... and i think there are also the lighter 5-spokes forged aluminium, that come original with 996SPS and 998R (with ridge)!

Are just my thoughts......:rolleyes:

#25 ·
I contacted a couple shops and asked them how I could tell between a Magnesium and a Aluminum wheel. They said the best way to tell the difference is to remove the wheel and look on the inside. The Alumi wheel will be bright silver on the backside and the Mag wheel will be bright gold. Today I dropped the bike off at the shop for service and I noticed that around the outer edge of the wheel the paint had been scratched off in a couple areas when the tire was mounted. It was bright gold so I'm assuming I have Magnesium wheels. From what I've heard and read I should have the wheels powder coated or clear coated to prevent corrosion. Does anyone have any input? Thanks

#26 ·
From what I've heard and read I should have the wheels powder coated or clear coated to prevent corrosion. Does anyone have any input? Thanks
Only low temp powder coat or have them treated & painted by someone who has the correct chemicals, paint and experience to do the job. High temp (400 F) powder coating WILL damage the wheels if they are Magnesium.

#27 ·
hallo,

magnesium wheels have always been a subject off difrent opinions i have marvics in my bike and those are been powdercoated and seem to hold good but i gonna change them back to aluminium marchesini's
an aircrafts the use zincromate it's a green primer to protect the magnesium parts,i see there are a few guys here on the forum who work on aircrafts maybe these guys know what we can do if it is good for an airplane it have to be good for a bike to.

henk!!!

#28 ·
I have a set of "forged aluminum" Marchesinis and I'm trying to ascertain if they are in fact aluminum. Someone else here saw the pictures I posted up and was very sure they were magnesium. Prior to taking some pictures of them I cleaned them and they looked the same in all respects to the black forged aluminum 10 spoke wheels on my 999R. Another thing, the wheels in question had some scratches and dings and the metal showing through was bright colored, not green or gold or otherwise.

I can't easilly weight them because they have the tires, rotors and rear sprocket on them.

Theres got to be a simpler way to tell the difference between the two.

#29 ·
Guys, don't forget that the forged (vs cast) aluminum 5 spokes had no ridge either. Just look at a set on a 998s for example.

The forged aluminum wheels have a smooth spoke, but they have sharper edges and don't look "webbed" between the spokes. The magnesium wheels have a more organic form.

so in short, rodericb your friend may still have aluminum 5 spokes, but the forged variety.

sps, your wheels look like they're magnesium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.