Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

gas cap install

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  stainlesscycle 
#1 ·
so i removed my gas cap to seal a dreaded leak. anyways, can't get the cap back on - the upper seal won't slip into the tank groove... i seem to remember a trick with rolling the upper rubber gasket down or folding it over or something - can someone refresh me?

#3 ·
how do you do it then?

#5 ·
sealed tank with caswell tank sealer. i've done about 8 tanks with it. it works better than any other product i've tried. cures in 24 hours. easiest product to use also.

as for installing the cap:
remove upper rubber ring completely. lube green o-ring. install cap 95% (maybe 2-3mm showing). stretch upper gasket over cap, and slowly work it down in - the last 1" or so takes the longest. it will go. total time almost 15 minutes (which feels like forever when you're working with just a little rubber gasket...) but it works.

#6 ·
How did you put the gasket back on

How did you do it ?!?!?! I am in the garage and looking at this like a monkey and cant figure how to fit that thing in !!! Please help !!

#9 ·
remove upper rubber ring completely. (this is the problem top o-ring/top seal)
lube upper rubber ring.
install metal cap 95% (maybe 2-3mm showing) without the upper rubber ring on it..
stretch upper rubber ring over cap, and slowly work it down in/under the metal cap - the last 1" or so takes the longest.
it will go.
total time almost 15 minutes (which feels like forever when you're working with just a little rubber gasket...) but it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.