i did test a pre dvt and was not that impressed

mike thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2017, 7:16 am

Just RIDE the KTM....before you decide.

j

2013 MTS GT

"If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?" Steven Wright
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2017, 7:49 am

All 3 are great bikes. Watch the reviews on Youtube and ride each one. Buy the one that suits you best. I spent all winter looking at bikes after I totaled my 2015 Multistrada S last fall. I ended up up with a 2017 Multistrada S. It fit me the best and my wife thought it looked the best.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2017, 9:04 am

Test ride all three.

What was it about the pre dvt multi that did not impress you?

2015 Multistrada 1200 S Touring
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2017, 9:32 am

I've owned motorcycle products from all three manufacturers and currently am on my second BMW automobile, which I love, X5 Deisel.

KTM's, I've owned 2 EXC's and 2 XCW two strokes. All were great, reliable and easy to work on. A friend has the SuperDuke GT and loves it.

I've only owned one BMW motorcycle and it was very good. An acquaintance has the XR and is not super happy with his choice, the bike is good, but he's stated to me that he wished he'd bought the Multistrada.

The Ducati's, I've owned, are mostly still in my garage, the 1098S, 1299S and Multistrada. The only one I sold was the 996S to make room for the 1098S.

When I bought my DVT, my other choice was the XR1000R as the KTM hadn't been released yet. I chose the DVT and have no regrets. The BMW has more top end power, but frankly, if I want more power than the DVt can muster, I'm on the wrong bike, I should be riding the 1299.

Today, it probably would be a toss up between the DVT and the KTM and honestly, I don't think I'd be disappointed in owning either one of them, but I think tossing that coin if would come down Multistrada two times out of three.
Oaths likes this.

'15 Ducati Panigale 1299S, '15 White Ducati Multistrada S (Vin #1000), '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, '08 KTM 300XCW, '07 Ducati 1098s, '98 Yamaha R1, '93 Bimota DB2, '76 Honda CB400F
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2017, 1:38 pm

I cross shopped the SDGT before I ended up buying a lightly used '14 Multi S from a member here. Seat height on the SDGT is lower and more "in" the bike, less legroom than on the Multi, and my knees didn't fit into the tank cutouts particularly well (for reference, I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam). The seating position on the KTM Super Adventure was more directly comparable to the Multi. I like the control layout on the SDGT better than my '14 Multi, but I think the DVT has them both beat handily. The color LCD display is very nice, too.

SDGT motor is an absolute monster, bottom end galore. Suspension was not as good as the Skyhook, not even close.

I can't compare to the XR, haven't ridden one.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2017, 1:57 pm

Get the S1000XR, I hear BMW finally resolved the bar buzz at highway speed.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
so up here in canada i am sick of paying for insurance on three bikes and
have decided to go down to one
the choices are 1200s touring (dvt model) with skyhook
bmw s1000xr or ktm superduke gt

any one compare or in the same situation
i have owned three ducks in the past and loved every one
bmw cars -awesome but never a ktm
any input would be greatly appreciated
i did test a pre dvt and was not that impressed

mike thanks in advance
Or, you could just keep insurance on 1 bike and non-op the others. Just swap license plates and make sure the bikes are the same color or buy the "correct" stickers. Never have they actually checked the VIN. A roll of the dice for sure, but hey you live once. And selling bikes is so sad.

When in doubt, lean more...
02 SS750 Lovely first bike Red (sold)
02 St4s Rip 11/18/11 -- running now Matte Grey (sold)
03 St4s Restored from salvage Senna (sold)
10 Multi S 3yr and 55k mi Black
12 RSV4 F 15k mi

Last edited by kdehkordi; Jun 19th, 2017 at 2:15 pm. Reason: speling :)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2017, 5:14 pm

I had a 2011 Multistrada until recently. It was a fantastic bike. When looking to replace it, I considered the new Multistradas. They aren't what they used to be. I would buy another 2010-2014 before a new one. I ended up getting the SDGT and have had it a week. It is an incredibly well sorted bike. It is more forward sitting than I am used to, but still pretty comfy. I definitely recommend riding the SDGT.

Thomas Williams
2011 Multistrada 1200S Touring (Red)
2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP
How to change a tire by hand, How to guide Desmo service of Hypermotard
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2017, 1:43 am

I have a 2010 Multi with the TTX Ohlins and Ohlins SCU, the suspension is fantastic, and i also have a 2016 1290GT, both great bikes, and really quite different. if i could only have one, it would be a Multistrada. Why. well its a better 2up bike, my wife loves going riding and away trips. The Multi has better all-round suspension, the GT is good, but not as good, the GT is more stable at speed, and is more nimble, it also has much better fueling than the Multi, and a far superior gear box, the GT has a more sporty ride position, its a fast bike, more refined engine. But its not quite good enough for touring 2up. with the panniers on the GT, my wife can't put her feet on her peg when mounting the bike, the seat is less comfortable for her, and slippery, it also has less accessible grab rails. If i was always a solo rider, it would be a tough decision, probably the GT by a smidgen. The Multi is a fantastic bike.
Mikeyyah likes this.

multistrada 1200.. 2010... Black with full system...2016 KTM 1290 GT. Remus can and link pipe, SAS and E4 shit removed.....2005 KTM 640...Titanium full system..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode