Panniers or top case? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2017, 11:40 pm Thread Starter

Panniers or top case?

I have the side panniers and I also have the top case and tank bag coming in next week.

July 2 I'm leaving Seattle to ride down to Laguna Seca. We will be back on July 12. So, gone for a total of 10 days. But we can do laundry when we are in Monterey.

I'm thinking about putting the side panniers and tank bag on for the trip, and leaving the top case off. Since I won't have a passenger for this trip, I think that makes sense. But I wanted to ask what other people do for a 1up trip. Do you prefer to have the side panniers on or the top case?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2017, 11:43 pm

Garage
What's the reason for not putting them all on? I love the top case simply to store the helmet even...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
ViciousPariah likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2017, 11:51 pm

If you can pack a ten day trip worth of stuff into the panniers and a tank bag more power to you but personally I'd use the top case too. Throw in a couple extra pair of underwear and socks, maybe a couple extra t-shirts and a comfy pair of shoes.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 4:42 am

I prefer the convenience of the top case. On the 2013 GT the panniers are too wide(for me) and I feel like I have no side clearance, they do hold a lot though. I am going on a 3-4 day trip and taking top case only and dry bag on seat. If I had the normal width panniers I would take them as well and for 10 day trip, I would even take my wide body panniers(I have used them 2x in 3 years).

2013 Multistrada 1200S GT
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 5:07 am
North Carolina, USA

It all depends on how you tend to pack for trips. I always carry the same crap on my bikes for trips, and travel fairly spartan. So it's never been enough stuff that I've needed panniers, a tankbag, -and- a topcase, even for longer trips. I'm old, so hustling a heavily packed bike around wears me out after a few days.

If you are winging it, decide what all you want to take, and that will determine what storage you will need to carry it all. A topcase is damned convenient though...

'12 Multi Touring these days
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 8:44 am

A top case is horrible ugly.
DaveNZ likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 8:54 am

Top Case, CA=lane splitting. I have the oversized side bags on mine and there's no way I could lane split with those on.

2011 1198
2012 MTS 1200 ABS
Past Bikes, 1985 RZ-350, 1988 FZR400, 1994 CBR-F2(RACE), 1998 TL-S, 2001 R6, 2002 CBR 954, 1999 R6(RACE), 2004 CBR 1000RR, 2005 R1, 2008 CBR 1000RR, 2005 ST3
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 10:43 am

Top cases are plain ugly and I won't use one. Almost like women with big hair, lol. I can fit a full face Arai in the left side pannier if I leave a few things in the motel while I cruise during the day at a destination, or use a cable lock. I use a dry bag strapped to the seat instead of a top case. For one up this has worked well especially if you can do laundry in Monterey. Granted the top case may be a practical alternative, it does mean loading up with more weight and stuff. In that case I prefer to take my Sprinter van. Aesthetics are why I ride what I ride and to me a motorcycle is about KISS. As far as lane splitting, the stock panniers split just fine. I traveled through downtown San Fran in stalled under construction traffic in tight confines and bags never tagged a car. I think the bar width about the same or maybe wider than the bags. In fact I just measured and bags and bars, mirrors extend equally as the bags. As far as the tank bag, I hate the clutter when gassing up so avoided buying one. Instead chose the bar bag that allows me to stow cords, GPS, Delorme, glasses, etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160706_15_26_13_Raw__highres.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	829097  
DaveNZ and avigil like this.

2006 Sport Classic 1000 / 2013 Husqvarna TE 310R / 2015 Multistrada T

Last edited by johnrg; Jun 16th, 2017 at 10:56 am.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 10:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob691 View Post
Top Case, CA=lane splitting. I have the oversized side bags on mine and there's no way I could lane split with those on.
I was about to say the same thing: if you can fit everything into the top case (and maybe a tank bag?) that's the way to go. The Multistrada is already a bit wider than I'd like for lane-splitting; I wouldn't add the panniers if they'll make the bike wider than the handlebars. Traffic around Monterey can get pretty crazy during a big event so being able to split is a nice option to have. If you have a hotel room you can always leave your bags there, but if you're camping and want to keep your stuff locked to the bike at all times I'd opt for as narrow a profile as possible. That's not to say that you can't split on a wide bike (I've seen Gold Wings split under the right conditions) but it will be easier and you'll have more options if you're narrower...
fastrob691 likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrg View Post
Top cases are plain ugly and I won't use one. Almost like women with big hair, lol. I can fit a full face Arai in the left side pannier if I leave a few things in the motel while I cruise during the day at a destination, or use a cable lock. I use a dry bag strapped to the seat instead of a top case. For one up this has worked well especially if you can do laundry in Monterey. Granted the top case may be a practical alternative, it does mean loading up with more weight and stuff. In that case I prefer to take my Sprinter van. Aesthetics are why I ride what I ride and to me a motorcycle is about KISS. As far as lane splitting, the stock panniers split just fine. I traveled through downtown San Fran in stalled under construction traffic in tight confines and bags never tagged a car. I think the bar width about the same or maybe wider than the bags. In fact I just measured and bags and bars, mirrors extend equally as the bags. As far as the tank bag, I hate the clutter when gassing up so avoided buying one. Instead chose the bar bag that allows me to stow cords, GPS, Delorme, glasses, etc...
I'd bet the extended cover panniers stick out 6 inches on each side over the small option ones.

2011 1198
2012 MTS 1200 ABS
Past Bikes, 1985 RZ-350, 1988 FZR400, 1994 CBR-F2(RACE), 1998 TL-S, 2001 R6, 2002 CBR 954, 1999 R6(RACE), 2004 CBR 1000RR, 2005 R1, 2008 CBR 1000RR, 2005 ST3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode