Multistrada DVT: Easiest way to swap tail light? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 10:32 pm Thread Starter
cug

Multistrada DVT: Easiest way to swap tail light?

Hi all,

I have a Custom LED tail light here and I'm asking myself what the easiest way to mounting it is. I have a description that says to remove the battery and starter relay, but somehow that feels like it shouldn't be needed.

Has anybody done it and can outline the process? Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2017, 8:38 am
Prolific Poster Award

Make sure you have spare fuses....

Bad decisions make for good stories
Take my Advice, I don't use it.
2011 Red Multistrada S Touring
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2017, 10:24 am

I assume you mean a CustomLED.com product. If it's a model for your bike, i would think the connectors would be the same as the original, making it hard to make an error installing it.

I don't know why in the world they would tell you to remove the starter relay, especially if the battery is removed. That's some serious overkill.

I wouldn't disconnect the battery, just turn the key off, but based upon the incredibly stupid things that people are capable of, don't consider my comment advice.

I try to be thorough. I rarely return to a thread. If you have a question for me, PM me.
2001 Monster S4

Last edited by jahjah; May 21st, 2017 at 10:31 am.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2017, 12:38 pm Thread Starter
cug

Yes, it's a CustomLED.com product. The connectors are the same, that's a non-issue. The description is from an older Ducati service manual, but it plain doesn't work. The tail part doesn't come off and I don't want to break it.

It's possible that the starter relay is supposed to be removed to get to the connector for the tail light, which sometimes seems to be hidden behind/underneath the relay. It isn't on my bike. Personally I wouldn't disconnect the battery either, makes no sense to me.

For me the real question is:

How do I physically remove the tail section from the bike. I've removed the four screws in the tray and the two from below and it absolutely doesn't budge at all. I have no idea where it is hanging and I don't want to disassemble the whole rear of the bike for no good reason.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2017, 2:31 pm

Garage
You do have to disassemble the whole rear of the bike! For this reason, I had James at SBK Corse do it for me. Took him about an hour. Well worth it. Love the way it looks with the original turn lights removed!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	819657   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	819665  

2016 Multistrada S
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Hi all,

I have a Custom LED tail light here and I'm asking myself what the easiest way to mounting it is. I have a description that says to remove the battery and starter relay, but somehow that feels like it shouldn't be needed.

Has anybody done it and can outline the process? Thanks a lot!

I installed the Custom LED light in my '13 GT with no issues....plug and play. There were no "instructions" on how to remove the OEM light, however, but it seemed (and turned out) to be pretty straight forward / intuitive. Take your time.

j

2013 MTS GT

"If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?" Steven Wright
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:15 pm Thread Starter
cug

Yeah, it's certainly not "plug & play" as I haven't been able to pull the tail apart yet. I'll probably take another look tonight.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 2:53 pm

I just finished installing a CustomLED tail Light in my 2016 MTS1200S yesterday. It is "Plug and Play" however the installation is a bit more complex than that. The reason the Service Manual has you remove the battery and Starter solenoid is the Tail Light connector sub harness is located in the "crack" behind the solenoid and Frame. Mine was actually "out" where you could see it and almost get a hold of it but I still removed the Battery et al as I also put a new LiFe battery I had in the bike ( saves 5 pounds)!!!!!

If you have the Top Case ( as I do) it gets even worse as you have to remove the top case bracket supports ( 4 bolts each side) plus the 6 bolts ( 4 top and 2 underneath) for the tail piece. You then have to remove the License plate holder and only then will you be able to remove the screws that give you access to the end of the sub-harness that connects the Tail Light and Turn signals where it becomes "Plug & Play". It's about 1 hour to do all that but it goes back together quicker EXCEPT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The plastic "studs" on the CustomLED Tail Light have holes that are too big for the stock screws that come on the OEM Tail Ligh mountt! I had to stop and hunt up 3 self-tapping screws that would work. It's a small detail that CustonLED should correct.

Also it would be nice if they made the "programming wire ( gray one) about a foot longer so you could route it up underneath the seat where you could mount a small switch (one of their options) for programming activation and it would be better protected. I soldered a length of wire and shrink tubed the splice so it has some protection and routed it that way.

Finally, since I wanted to use the integrated Turn Signals, I took the OEM stock ones off. I now have to find some "plugs" to fill up the holes. Sure wish CustomeLED wold provide some plugs ( even if you have to buy them) so it would be a more complete package.

Still a nice product but at $175 it should be a complete solution.

Cheers, D

2016 Multistrada 1200S w/ 4 "Packs"
2016 BMW S1000XR w/ full Akra system
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 3:12 pm Thread Starter
cug

The problem I have is that even after I disconnected the four screws on top and the two below (top case plate isn't mounted yet) I can't get the tail piece to come down. It's just as tight as it was with all the screws in.

I will disconnect the battery and the cable tonight and see wether I get any further with it.

The programming is a huge let down for me. Sorry, but if the switch is needed to get the functionality working, it needs to be included in the package. But okay, one problem at a time.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 3:16 pm

The tail piece is "shock" mounted in rubber grommets. You need to remove all 6 screws and push down from the top with some force as the plastic posts are a pretty tight fit in those four grommets.

2016 Multistrada 1200S w/ 4 "Packs"
2016 BMW S1000XR w/ full Akra system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode