Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Any Multi owners considering a move to SuperSport?

5K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  Gadgetech 
#1 ·
I notice on the SuperSport forum (not Ducati.MS) that there are several Multi owners who have sold their bike and purchased a SS. I must confess, I'm considering the same move.

Any of you considering the same?

#2 ·
The local Dealer told me to take the demo out for the day, may do it next week.

It looks like great bike, but it's too close to the other bikes in my stable.

Reactions: Gadgetech
#3 ·
I test rode a Supersport a couple of weeks ago on a warm day (in the 80's), and I can say that it is HOT....as in roast my butt and thighs. Supposedly caused by the catalytic converter. My Multi didn't at all on the same day.

Handling seemed nice....but so is the Multi :)

Ken

#10 ·
It's caused by the rear cylinder header pipe that is right under the sear and rider's legs. The same design/problem can be found on the Panigale which is plagued with the same problem (runs hot/heat is felt).

#7 ·
I think I caught up in a bit of the hype honestly but the one nit for me is the power on the SS should be about 125 hp at least. I want to start doing track days and I've been hesitant because the ground clearance doesn't seem to be all that great but I've been watching a few vids and there are guys with my vintage (2010-2014) that are tearing it up on the track.

#40 ·
I take my '15 and track it. It's quite fun. Then I saw a guy on a 2012 with panniers and a top case (on track). I tried to follow and he was blowing the doors off everyone. I'm a mid pack intermediate rider, but it was awesome seeing this guy handle a fully dressed Multi, dragging knee and late braking every turn. The Multistrada is totally capable.

#9 ·
The Super Sport isn't going to be an option in my current stable.

1) My Multi is basically a dedicated 2-up touring rig, the SS isn't even in the ballpark there.
2) My Super Duke R is my personal crazy bike, that I have no issue pulling back to back 12 hour (or more) days on, and its bigger (ergonomically) and again the SS just doesn't pass muster there, specially after 30,000km of everything from commuting to multi-day tours with it.

#11 ·
I love the looks of the Super Sport and will consider one as a companion to my Multi. For day rides here in the Rockies it would be great but it won't tour like the Multi. No center stand and minimal weather protection would limit function as a multi day tourer. Has anyone had their hands on the luggage yet? I toured all over the Western states on my ST4s but it is a much better tourer than the Super Sport

#13 ·
I was very impressed with this bike during the test ride I took. Yes, there is some heat radiating from the engine (I felt it on my right inner leg) Is this a deal breaker, not to me. Would I sell a LC multi to get one... no. However, we have two LC's in our stable.

I couldn't imagine touring (more than 400 miles a day on this) but it could be done. If you actually tour regularly on your multi now it probably wouldn't be a good choice, but there are much worse choices.

My original impression of the SS (R version) is one of the funnest bikes I had ridden in a long time. You know the feeling when you first rode a LC multi? It was like that for me. This is a special bike well worth the money, it could be an only bike, but not for me. The handling is spectacular, suspension first rate out of the box, and looks great to me in white.

Its a contender for sure, if my wife wants to down-size to this bike I wouldn't complain too much, particularly when I would be loading it in the trailer for the track, or quick jaunts through our numerous backroads. I would be cautious about the actual fuel range though. Guessing range would be about 145 miles but not confirmed, this is a problem for where I live, unfortunately. Too many good backroads that require a bit more fuel in the tank. I hope someone eventually posts real range numbers for this bike soon.

Cheers

#14 ·
I took an SS for a good long test ride, more out of curiosity than a need to trade in my still new Multi. The Supersport 939 engine is easily my favorite modern Ducati engine, its just so enjoyable. I Was very close to an SP hyper before i bought my multi, so its familiar to me already. My needs are primarily commuting and long summer trips, so i think the multi is still the apex predator for that. I personally am not over the moon about the SS looks, but its still very good looking. I'd still take that engine in the Hyper, and probably will in a few years when my travel priorities change a bit. Still a great bike, wish Ducati would be a little more forthcoming with the info on the luggage, been very curious about it for a long time, and still haven't gotten the straight goods about it, or even a look at a dealer!

#15 ·
I am wanting to do some track days and the Multi just won't fit the bill long term b/c I already scrape stuff riding on the road and I was thinking about the SS as a replacement but I do like how well the Multi does travel. Sometimes I want to run back to Greenville for lunch with friends or to visit others. The Multi (especially now that I have CC) does a quick interstate run pretty well plus the more I think about it the more it really is the best bike for me. For track days I may find an older CBR600RR for that.

I agree that the looks of the SS are good but there's something about it that just sits odd with me and I think that it lays in the headlight array.

#16 ·
NO..........i rode a mates 1299S in the weekend, he rode my 1290GT, i loved its auto down shift blipper, but no way do i want to own or ride a sports bike, head down arse up bike again. my wrists got sore and my neck ached after 120Ks of torture, loved the power over 6000Revs. so a big no from me, i love upright wide bar bikes, of all makes.

#17 ·
The riding position of the SuperSport is quite agreeable and I'm not one to have any comfort on a sporty position although the bars aren't wide at all and it's certainly a different feeling. I can't say I'd be too interested in much else with your collection either, great stable.

#19 ·
After seeing one and sitting it I sure as _____ ain't moving over to that ugly thing. I defended if early when it first came out reserving judgment till I saw it in person. Bit I did and the front looks disjointed to me, the side farrings look awkward, and the raised handle bars remind of cheesey Beamer risers. I wasn't impressed. Even the rear did nothing for me. I sat on it and I felt like I was on a R3 or something beginner derived.

Even in the looks department the Multi to me is a far better looking beast!!! Not to mention far superior power and convenience.

#20 ·
I thought about it but decided I like sitting upright too much for a street bike. It wouldn't do for me as a track bike either.

But my business partner bought one, which he picked up today.

I must say it looks much better live and the pictures don't do the paint scheme justice.

Attachments

#21 ·
Gadg, I test rode it along with the new baby multi today. I test rode it a few weeks ago as well.
I don't quite think it has the feel of a track bike, though it could do it. I agree you should get a cheap track dedicated bike before you get a street bike that can sort of do track and sort of tour.

I like the SS and was surprisingly comfortable on it given my 34" inseam. But as an every day bike no way. I'm on the interstate too much and that meager windscreen and half fairing provided my frame absolutely no wind protection. The mirrors were way too narrow as well and were "inside" my shoulders. They also vibrated so bad at speed that nothing was visible in them. The whole fairing component of the bike felt fake. BUT, it was a really fun bike other than on the highway. Handled very well and I really like the narrow, lower bars. I felt myself having a good time on the bike both times, but tried to envision it as a daily rider and I couldn't. After all is said and done I felt it was too expensive as a second bike as well given the use I'd get out of it. Rather get the new Street triple as my hooligan bike.

The Baby 950 multi was pretty nice. I have to say I liked it. Not very powerful of course but enough for a spirited ride. It was sort of like a Tiger 1050 except it had the 19" up front and felt more ADV'ish. I liked it. Food for thought if you ever wanted to downsize your multi and get a second bike.

ON another note a friend of mine said he heard the NA CEO on a podcast today (or yesterday) and he got the feeling a bigger SS might be coming out.... yum yum! 0:)

#22 ·
The Baby 950 multi was pretty nice. I have to say I liked it. Not very powerful of course but enough for a spirited ride. It was sort of like a Tiger 1050 except it had the 19" up front and felt more ADV'ish. I liked it. Food for thought if you ever wanted to downsize your multi and get a second bike.
I should give the 950 a try for a more "ADV'ish" bike but my problem with it is that it is only 18 lbs lighter curb weight than my DVT 1200 S. Yes much less money but I'll take the extra 18 lbs to get all the power and features my 1200 S has over the 950.

#23 ·
It's a ton less money, but a ton less power as well. Depends what you want out of it. IF you wanted two bikes, the supersport and the multi let's say, this may be a way to make it more affordable. The fact you can swap the rims for spokes with knobbies is sort of cool too if you intended to do some offroading.
All in all I found it a pretty good deal considering the price of the new vstrom and some of the 800cc ADVs.

#31 · (Edited)
I'd read that about the MT-10 too... then I saw a comparo video where it out-stopped the super naked competition (HANDILY beating the SD). Admittedly... they were some strange reviewers (they were British and ended up liking the Triumph which was the worst of the group by any objective measure... but hey... they're British).

The MT-10 does lack the fit an finish of the European brands... and it's very nearly as ugly as the super duke... but then again, none of them are pretty like the Monster. Well... Aprilia owners may disagree and they'd have an argument... but the transformer look (which the Multi has a bit of) will never look as good to me as the flowing lines of a sportbike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.