Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Clutch problem

10K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  fastrob691 
#1 ·
A couple months ago I had my bike serviced which included changing the clutch and brake fluids. Since then I've noticed the bite point of my clutch has changed. I stalled it a few times when riding it but it has been sitting a bit too due to some minor neck surgery which kept me off the bike for a while. Anyway, I set out to ride to work this morning and noticed the clutch bite point is right at the grip. There is definitely something wrong. I actually turned around and rode back home, got in my car and drove that to work instead.

Any ideas what this could be? Clutch master cylinder? Clutch slave cylinder? Clutch pack itself? Bike only has 11,000 miles on it. It is a 2014 Multistrada 1200 S. The reservoir is full and the fluid is a light amber color. Ther is no evidence of leaking anywhere.

#3 ·
Clutch bite point

SDRider, When I changed the clutch fluid on my 2011 Multi I accidentally siphoned the reservoir dry. After refilling and bleeding the system at the slave cylinder the clutch lever engagement point felt wrong. I had to bleed the system at the master cylinder and then again at the slave cylinder. As mw0dbb said you likely have a small amount of air still trapped in the system. A careful bleed at the clutch master and slave cylinder should fix this easily.

Cheers

#8 ·
Burb it

Mine does the same thing. Every 3000 miles or so I crack the bleeder at the lever and have a bit of air. It has improved since swapping to an Oberon slave but I still have to burb it from time to time. The Oberon was a great upgrade. Much easier pull.

#11 ·
I have the same problem- regularly have to bleed air from the master, works awesome for 500-1000 miles, then gets progressively worse. I have a Yoyodyne slave which works great and reduces the effort but didn't change toe air accumulation issue. I think it's the same as the rear brake issue- just too damn much heat next to the cat!

I guess it it wasn't funky it wouldn't be a Ducati...

#13 ·
I have owned the bike for two and a half years and put almost 11,000 miles on it. First time I've had to do this. I think the dealer messed up when they flushed the clutch fluid and didn't get all the air out.

#14 ·
I just bled mine Saturday after reading this post.

Shifting was a little notchy, i'll ride her later and see if its smooth again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.