Ducati GPS - Connector on cradle is junk - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2017, 11:18 am Thread Starter
Hammer Down

Garage
Ducati GPS - Connector on cradle is junk

I noticed, while on a trip of course, that my GPS wasn't charging and at the next stop I took it out of the cradle and noticed one of the pins looked bent. I took my key and fiddled with it and the pin popped back in place...sort of. If I'm super gentle putting the unit in the cradle it's okay but it takes a few tries to get it to work. It seems as though I read about some things other people did to deal with this...maybe just replace the connector but I'm wondering if there are any hacks here that would be more permanent.

From what I've read online this unit, the 350LM I believe, has this problem across the board but I haven't seen any good fixes other than buying another piece and I suppose splicing it in.

I've only had this unit on the bike for a year so this is a bit annoying...maybe I should just make a quick disconnect option for the piece that sits in the cradle...

Maybe you can tell that the pin on the right is bent down.

2014 Multistrada GT
Shock me and say something intelligent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Garage
Those two contacts are spring-loaded fingers. Mine depress inwards very easily with no sticking. The big difference that I see between your setup and mine is that my connector has a flip-up rubber cover that hides in the cavity directly above the connector. I wonder if more frequent exposure to moisture has caused your fingers to seize which led to your GPS bending them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241_s.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	816193  

2015 Multistrada DVT S Touring
2004 SV650S
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Yes there should be a weather protector. Mine isn't the Ducati one but it is a Garmin 395 which uses the exact same cradle. My guess is that this was installed by the dealer and your dealer did what the did with mine. They didn't read the instructions and decided that the cap had to be cut off to be used. The cap is attached by a little rubber strap the slides over the end of the cable. If you are not thinking it feels like you can't attach the little screw that holds the power connector in place with the strap in place. But it is easy to do. All you need to do is slide the strap and the cap down the cable, attach the power connector with the screw, feed the weather cap back through the hole and everything is good.

In my case they handed me the little rubber cap when I picked up the bike and said that this was the weather protector. I said that it didn't look right and pictures showed you it installed in the cradle they said they were pretty sure that is how it worked. As it turns out I had another power cable as I was thinking of installing it on my other bike as well. The new power cable had the pristine undamaged cap and I took it off that cable and put it on the one on my Multistrada and all is good. Since your cable is damaged you might consider purchasing another cable (they are cheap) but this time making sure that the weather cap remains on and is properly installed. The PITA part is installing the new cable. If you do get a new cable and get the dealer to install it make sure you explain that the rubber weather cap needs to remain on the strap.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Another thought is that it might be an idea even if you have the weather cap to occasionally put a little WD 40 or similar on the pins. My other bike has an aging Garmin 550 on it and it has the same spring loaded pins although it has something like 20 of them (power, audio, microphone etc.). Even with the weather cover they tend to get sticky and not make good contact. A little spray of WD40 and then work the pins up and down and it frees them up so they make proper contact. That kind of maintenance might be something to consider with these. One difference though is that the 550 has its pins on the bottom where water can collect. These are vertical so that is a better design when it comes to water.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2017, 7:34 am Thread Starter
Hammer Down

Garage
My GPS stays in the cradle unless I'm leaving the bike out overnight somewhere or going into a restaurant. I didn't keep the weather protector on there because it really doesn't sit out very much since I only do about 1 or 2 trips overnight each year. It seems to me the pin broke from removing or putting the GPS unit on which I don't do so aggressively. The pin still has the spring in it but the top part of the pin doesn't seem to sit well in the bottom half any longer. I'll probably just buy another cable and splice it in and I'll use the weather cap this time.

Thanks for the feedback!

2014 Multistrada GT

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2017, 11:36 am

Anybody knows where can I get the Ducati GPS mount for the Multi? Leaving for Alaska in 2 weeks and I've been waiting 2 weeks already from my local dealers to deliver one, which isanother week or 2 away
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2017, 12:38 pm

As another poster replied above, get a Garmin mount. Put a Ducati sticker on the cover to make yourself feel good.

Mike Santa Barbara, CA / Whidbey Island, WA
'15 MTS-S Touring, 99 Ducati 996, '07 BMW R1200S
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldroamer View Post
Another thought is that it might be an idea even if you have the weather cap to occasionally put a little WD 40 or similar on the pins. My other bike has an aging Garmin 550 on it and it has the same spring loaded pins although it has something like 20 of them (power, audio, microphone etc.). Even with the weather cover they tend to get sticky and not make good contact. A little spray of WD40 and then work the pins up and down and it frees them up so they make proper contact. That kind of maintenance might be something to consider with these. One difference though is that the 550 has its pins on the bottom where water can collect. These are vertical so that is a better design when it comes to water.
It is possible you just got a power cable that wasn't properly manufactured. I don't know if there have been other reports of issues with this connector or not. Its been in use for a few years so I would expect if it was chronic issue you would hear more about it. But I haven't done any research so I really don't know. Anyway replacing the cable will get you going and hopefully this time you won't have an issue with it.
Gadgetech likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2017, 5:39 pm Thread Starter
Hammer Down

Garage
Okay, help me out here b/c I'm not experienced with a multimeter. I ordered a replacement cable, spliced the factory connector onto the end of it, plugged it all in and put the GPS in the cradle and nothing happened. Frustrated I took everything apart including disconnecting the factory connector from the Garmin harness.

Testing (this is where I need help):
Multimeter Setup:
1. Turn the multimeter on and set it to Volts
2. Turn the bike on
3. Put the black lead from the multimeter on the negative batt terminal

Garmin Power Cable testing
4. Plugged the factory connector in the bike, connected the Power Cable by simply twisting the red to red and black to black. tested the red wire with the red lead and get around 8.8V
5. I then put the red lead on where the power cable contacts the back of the GPS and get 9.4V (does that make any sense?

What am I doing wrong and why isn't the GPS charging? The only difference b/w the cable that came with the GPS and this one, is the one supplied with the Garmin unit has the factory connector already spliced in.

ETA: It will charge via USB and it charged fine with the previous power cable as long as the pins made a connection.

2014 Multistrada GT

Last edited by Gadgetech; Jun 18th, 2017 at 5:45 pm.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Garage
Those are definitely some strange results. Try this: Turn the bike on, no need to start it, and using your DMM, gently touch the red multimeter lead to the right-hand pin on the GPS holder. Gently touch the black multimeter lead to the left-hand pin on the GPS holder. You should read a positive voltage. I read 5.29V on mine but anywhere around 5V you should be happy. Let us know what the results are.

2015 Multistrada DVT S Touring
2004 SV650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode