High mileage multistrada - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 11:30 am Thread Starter

High mileage multistrada

Looking into purchasing a used Multistrada 1200 in the $9000 to $10,000 range. What mileage would you be nervous about to stay away from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 11:32 am

It's highly unlikely that you are going to find many Multi's in the "worry about the mileage" range.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 11:35 am

Rationally, financially, I probably should have gotten a new bike to replace my Monster at 175K. So I'd suggest looking for a lower mileage than that.

PhilB
mlukason likes this.

1993 Ducati Monster M900, bought new, 260K miles (so far)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

175k that's incredible. Looking at both extremes. Are bike with 30,000 miles a problem. Normally what that kind of Miles all the problems are sorted out. But on the other hand for the same amount of money you can find some bikes with five to six thousand miles, but have the problems shown up yet. A sitting bike has its own issues.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 1:08 pm

I have a 2011 MTS with 30K miles and it has taken that long to get all the problems sorted out. I think it is great now.

Early 2011 Multistrada S Touring
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Garage
My '11 Multi has 50K miles... No issues major issues at all...apart from some of the recall stuff and normal wear and tear items. I just did a 12,500 mile trip around the country last fall on it with zero issues. Well, one small issue. I blew a fork seal on the last day. Not a deal breaker, I got home with it just fine.

kdehkordi must be approaching 100K on his '10 by now... He had over 70K last time I saw him at the West Coast Ducati Meeting a couple years ago. As long as someone has taken care of the bike, mileage shouldn't be an issue.

I'm considering a new DVT or Enduro in the not too distant future, but I have no idea what my bike would be worth...

-c-
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne H View Post
I have a 2011 MTS with 30K miles and it has taken that long to get all the problems sorted out. I think it is great now.
Too funny. I'm in the same boat. Try as I might, and as much as I love looking at the next best thing, there just isn't much out there that compares.

2012 Arctic White 1200S Touring Model
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 7:04 pm
Resident Raggamuffin

i saw a water cooled Multistrada at my dealer some weeks ago.......it had over 80k miles on it......but it was most definitely done (required repairs that weren't justified paying for).

impressive if you ask me.

2016 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak | 2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, BMWs, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and a Thruxton R
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 9:24 pm

As much as a PITA Ducati's can be, you know you're looking at something different when you see one. I was recently at a multi Japanese brand dealership checking out the latest this and that. I've owned a lot of Japanese bikes and may again, but at certain angles, looking down the rows and rows of them in that dealership, they really did all kind of look the same. Nothing special stood out. No panache. Not much personality.

True, a lot less money and usually a lot less headaches, but nothing that really grabbed me with that, "Wow! I've gotta get one of those" emotion.

2012 Arctic White 1200S Touring Model
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 2:01 am

Garage
Assuming that the bike had all its maintenance done properly and on time, I cannot see any reason why the engine shouldn't go to 175K. I had bought mine second hand with 24K kms on it. Doing my own oil changes (I change every 6Ks), I could see that the engine stopped producing metal shavings at about 36-40K kms (the minute ones that get collected by the magnet on the magnetic bolt). So it is at that mileage that I consider the engine properly ran in. It has 49K now and it's running as good as ever. No mechanical problems whatsoever, only electrical glitches/problems, most of which have been sorted out. You can't really know if a bike was treated properly but the engine mileage would be the least of my concerns if I could at least verify (from its booklet) that it had all its services at an authorized dealer.

That's IMHO of course.
mollycbr123 and PhilBoncer like this.

Multistrada 1200 ABS '11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode