Pirelli Angel GT - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_bare View Post
I've been running the D-Spec tires for 21k they have been great. I figured Pirelli came up with a special tire, who am I to outsmart the engineers?

Quote:
t_bare
Can we assume that the 21k was not on the same set of tires? Getting that many miles would be quite extraordinary :-)

Ken
I freaking wish that was one set.
jaibee61 likes this.

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2 Ducatis = Mechanic

2013 Multistrada GT Touring Grey
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
2002 Ducati 998 Faster Banana!!!
2000 KTM 300 EXC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexStrada View Post
I'm on a 2014 MTS GT and had the Angel GT as the OEM, did 5K miles on those, and now just completed 5K miles on the Scorpion Trail II. Based upon that comparison I can wholeheartedly say that the Angel GT is an inferior tire (except for maybe threadlife, but not by much) and it negatively impacts the handling on the 14 (which should translate to the 15). The Angel GT seems to have a default tendency to stand up while the Trail II has a natural tendency to lean in, which translated, on the Angel GT, to me always feeling as if I had to force the bike into turns, especially first gear turns, while the Scorpion Trail II almost falls into the same turns, making the bike feel much more natural and confidence inspiring. This applies both solo and 2-up.

I read good things about Metzeler Roadtec 01, haven't tried them though. But based upon my experience with the Angel GT, I wouldn't recommend them. I hope this helps.
This is a very out of the ordinary post on the the GT Angels, I have many mates on these and love them,These are the spec tires supplied with the 1290GT, they have nice neutral tip in, the only reason i could see why they would stand up in corners is, you were running them with way to lower tire pressure, I've done a track day on my 1290GT with these OEM Angel GTs, i took it generally easy on them, as i know they are a touring tire, but i was still fast around the track, 32f 32r, they were great, i didn't push them hard like i did the M7RRs, on my 1290R, but they performed great, great tire, but the roadtec will be better.
macraige and herveyw like this.

multistrada 1200.. 2010... Black with full system...2016 KTM 1290 GT. Remus can and link pipe, SAS and E4 shit removed.....2005 KTM 640...Titanium full system..
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 5:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
This is a very out of the ordinary post on the the GT Angels, I have many mates on these and love them,These are the spec tires supplied with the 1290GT, they have nice neutral tip in, the only reason i could see why they would stand up in corners is, you were running them with way to lower tire pressure, I've done a track day on my 1290GT with these OEM Angel GTs, i took it generally easy on them, as i know they are a touring tire, but i was still fast around the track, 32f 32r, they were great, i didn't push them hard like i did the M7RRs, on my 1290R, but they performed great, great tire, but the roadtec will be better.
I was myself very surprised by their handling at the time as everything I read indicated they were tires with fantastic dry handing so I tried various air pressure levels, 36/36 (solo) and 36/42 (2-up) as prescribed by Ducati, as well as a range above and below that, all with the same result. It may be that my set had some kind of production fault, though it ran really round. Maybe it had something to do with the bike's geometry & suspension as the 14MTSGT is tall and has skyhook vs. 1290R/1290GT/ST3, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the Angel GT is not a terrible tire, it ran well overall, did very well in the wet and wore decently, but the stand up tendency just took the fun out of sharp turns. Furthermore, I only realized size of the disparity after mounting the Scorpion Trail II. Before trying the SCII I thought the AGT was a great tire and the MTS just asked for more hanging off in sharp turns due to its dimensions. After the SCIIs were mounted is when I realized the difference and the bike finally behaved like most magazines had described the MTS, with a very natural tendency to lean into the corners. As most test were of the 1200S (running STI) and not the 1200S GT model (running AGT), it made sense to me to attribute the difference to the tires as that was the only change.

2014 Multistrada Granturismo

Last edited by TexMexStrada; Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:46 am.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 6:56 am

Quote:
I was myself very surprised by their handling at the time as everything I read indicated they were tires with fantastic dry handing so I tried various air pressure levels, 36/36 (solo) and 36/42 (2-up) as prescribed by Ducati, as well as a range above and below that, all with the same result. It may be that my set had some kind of production fault, though it ran really round. Maybe it had something to do with the bike's geometry & suspension as the 14MTSGT is tall and has skyhook vs. 1290R/1290GT/ST3, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the Angel GT is not a terrible tire, it ran well overall, did very well in the wet and wore decently, but the stand up tendency just took the fun out of sharp turns. Furthermore, I only realized size of the disparity after mounting the Scorpion Trail II. Before trying the SCII I thought the AGT was a great tire and the MTS just asked for more hanging off in sharp turns due to its dimensions. After the SCIIs were mounted is when I realized the difference and the bike finally behaved like most magazines had described the MTS, with a very natural tendency to lean into the corners. As most test were of the 1200S (running STI) and not the 1200S GT model (running AGT), it made sense to me to attribute the difference to the tires as that was the only change.
I don't mean to throw more fuel on the fire, but for SlipinSlidin's benefit since he's presumably coming off Scorpion Trail IIs on his 2015 MTS12S, the other difference I felt between the Angel GT and the Scorpion Trail II was feedback & feel from the front of the bike. The OEM Angel GT had great traction, but provided little feedback, feeling a lot like my previous BMW where you just had to have faith in it sticking without getting much feel. I blamed it on the Skyhook but considered it a small price to pay for an otherwise very capable suspension. When the Scorpion Trail IIs were mounted, the front end all of the sudden started talking to me, furthering confidence and riding enjoyment.
Gaurav Kachru likes this.

2014 Multistrada Granturismo
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 10:33 pm

I went from the stock tires to Angel GTs and I personally didn't notice a whole lot of difference in terms of handling. The bike handled great with either tire. I probably don't push the bike hard enough to feel and subtle differences between the two tires. Did some nice mountain roads in Northern California last summer on the Angel GTs and was completely satisfied with the handling and grip. I did manage to get both sets of tires worn right to the edges. However despite that I would not say I am particularly aggressive or that I push the bike anywhere near its limits.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldroamer View Post
I went from the stock tires to Angel GTs and I personally didn't notice a whole lot of difference in terms of handling. The bike handled great with either tire. I probably don't push the bike hard enough to feel and subtle differences between the two tires. Did some nice mountain roads in Northern California last summer on the Angel GTs and was completely satisfied with the handling and grip. I did manage to get both sets of tires worn right to the edges. However despite that I would not say I am particularly aggressive or that I push the bike anywhere near its limits.
Ditto and, in fact, I was looking for similar handling to the stock Scorpion Trails on my 2014. I'm not big on the Michelin PR4 and didn't want to go that way. The last couple of rides out, few and far between in the seemingly endless 7 months of rain in the PNW, I've had a minor slip or two on the rear; anecdotal, nothing to write home about yet, I'm still happy with them including their rate of wear.

1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 8:22 am

Garage
Quote:
I don't mean to throw more fuel on the fire, but for SlipinSlidin's benefit since he's presumably coming off Scorpion Trail IIs on his 2015 MTS12S, the other difference I felt between the Angel GT and the Scorpion Trail II was feedback & feel from the front of the bike. The OEM Angel GT had great traction, but provided little feedback, feeling a lot like my previous BMW where you just had to have faith in it sticking without getting much feel. I blamed it on the Skyhook but considered it a small price to pay for an otherwise very capable suspension. When the Scorpion Trail IIs were mounted, the front end all of the sudden started talking to me, furthering confidence and riding enjoyment.
Coming off a spirited ride this weekend, I definitely agree with Tex's thoughts about the pressure required to maintain lean ('15 1200S). Turn in was very neutral, but once at lean, I found I needed to lean harder than I would have liked on the bars and I still had about an inch to half inch of rubber unused at the edge.
Touring mode, rear preload to 16, damping was 1 setting harder than default front and rear.
TexMexStrada likes this.

Atlanta, GA - 2015 Multistrada 1200 S
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
Coming off a spirited ride this weekend, I definitely agree with Tex's thoughts about the pressure required to maintain lean ('15 1200S). Turn in was very neutral, but once at lean, I found I needed to lean harder than I would have liked on the bars and I still had about an inch to half inch of rubber unused at the edge.

Touring mode, rear preload to 16, damping was 1 setting harder than default front and rear.

Is exactly my settings. Together with 2,5front en 2,8rear (Bar) Angel GT feel, steer and act perfect for me. Really easy turn in, no standing up at all and very stable in hi lean corners.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Multistrada 1200S DVT 2016 Touring pack, the Netherlands
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 7:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the valuable feedback. The feeling I have after coming off the Scorpions and going to the PR4s is exactly as described. They just don't seem to want to lean very much. In fact I can't confidently get the rear tires all the way to the edge. Still have close to an inch left and with the stick tires chicken strips were nonexistent.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschemkes View Post
Is exactly my settings. Together with 2,5front en 2,8rear (Bar) Angel GT feel, steer and act perfect for me. Really easy turn in, no standing up at all and very stable in hi lean corners.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
I should have checked my pressure afterwards, but I haven't ridden since then. I'll report back tomorrow to see what I was working with.

Atlanta, GA - 2015 Multistrada 1200 S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode