More Improvements and an Awesome Test Ride on My 2016 PP (lots of pics) - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 8:15 am Thread Starter

More Improvements and an Awesome Test Ride on My 2016 PP (lots of pics)

Finally!

It seems like itís been forever since Iíve had a full day to just relax and go for a ride. Between work, a home remodel, and weather, itís been since my California trip a couple of months ago Ė way too long!

I was able to get enough work done yesterday to feel okay about taking today (Sunday) off, and the weather looked decent, so it was finally time! I decided to do my ďtrack dayĒ format, and load the Multistrada in the back of my pickup and drive a couple of hours to Baker City, Oregon, and do a nice 280 mile loop of some nearby favorites.

I got to Baker City around 9:30 local time, and it was cool and mostly cloudy, and as I climbed the hill toward John Day, the temps dropped to around 40 degrees. Thankfully, my heated gear was keeping me nice and toasty. The snow-capped mountains in the distance were really beautiful, so I had to stop for a quick photo.

As I approached Prairie City, the view was just amazing.

There was almost no one on the roads, anywhere along the way. Probably because it was Easter Sunday. In fact, I saw only two motorcycles the whole trip, despite the fact that it was actually pretty warm, climbing to around 60 in the afternoon. It was pretty awesome to have the roads pretty much all to myself (not that theyíre ever that crowded in central Oregon anyway).

Since my previous trip, I added a couple of improvements to the bike. After putting the full Akrapovic exhaust system on the bike, I found that the fuel mapping was not what it should be. Okay, but a little rough, and sometimes ďstumbly,Ē especially at lower RPMs. It didnít seem that a remap was possible (at least not easily), but I did find some info about a dynamic mapping system called RapidBike, that continuously adjusted the mapping on the bike, to instantly adjust for weather, altitude, whatever. Although there wasnít a whole lot of info available on it, I decided to hook one up and give it a shot. I also found that the ďtouringĒ windscreen that came with the bike was completely inadequate, with lots of wind buffeting that was driving me crazy. So, I decided to try the touring windscreen made by Ermax.

The bike was transformed! It was really good before, but the RapidBike system mad a huge difference. The power delivery was always great, always. Low RPMs, high RPMs, colder weather, warmer weather, climbing hills, deceleration, whatever, whenever. Just fantastic. No issues whatsoever. Iím a believer.

The windscreen was a big improvement too. Iím fairly tall (6′ 2″), and if I sit up totally straight I still get a pretty good wind blast, but with my normal (slouchy) posture, itís pretty darn good. Much, much quieter. My face shield hardly picked up any bugs, because the taller screen was getting most of them, which was also good. And man, without all that wind noise, I sure hear that thunderous Akrapovic exhaust note just fine! Itís pretty loud! Iím glad I put the noise reducer insert, otherwise it would surely be too much. I think in itís current form itís perfect. Bold, earth-shaking, bone-rattling Ė but not completely obnoxious. Just right! And the pipe and trapezoidal end can are works of art, in my opinion. Just gorgeous.

Now that the bike is fully broken in, at several points along the way I decided to really put it to the test, twisting the throttle to the max. WOW! This bike completely kicks ass. How can a bike this comfortable be so fast, sporty and fun? Itís amazing. The sound with the throttle wide open in fifth gear climbing a big hill from 6000-8000 RPM or so is just unbelievable. I absolutely love this thing.

johnrg, tzoykas and Oaths like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 8:16 am Thread Starter

What a great looking bike, too. The scenery was beautiful, as you can see. But I think the bike was equally stunning!

It was a great way to spend this Easter Sunday. Some moto-therapy was just what I needed. And Iím so glad the modifications have worked out so well. Iím looking forward to a great season on this amazing machine. Now, if work would just settle down a bitÖ

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 8:26 am

First class job on the pictures !!
bwhip likes this.

2016 Multistrada S (totaled)
2013 Multistrada S Touring (sold)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 11:53 am

Garage
Awesome pictures

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI CAN-L11 met Tapatalk
bwhip likes this.

Multistrada 1200S DVT 2016 Touring pack, the Netherlands
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 2:30 pm

great write up, awesome pics! Can't wait to get over there. Never heard of Ermax. Going to look into that. Have the identical bike and wouldn't mind a bit quieter ride. MUCH better than my old '10 but theres still room for improvement . . .
bwhip likes this.

2016 Pikes Peak
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 2:57 pm

Awesome!!!!

Did you do the rapid bike install yourself? If so, how complicated was it and how long did it take? Im considering going down the same route and im interested in doing the install myself provided its not overly complex.

Also, your touring screen, is that a light smoke or a clear version? It looks like its lightly smoked but I dont see that option offered from Ermax.

Last edited by Magsz; Apr 17th, 2017 at 4:29 pm.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
Awesome!!!!

Did you do the rapid bike install yourself? If so, how complicated was it and how long did it take? Im considering going down the same route and im interested in doing the install myself provided its not overly complex.

Also, your touring screen, is that a light smoke or a clear version? It looks like its lightly smoked but I dont see that option offered from Ermax.
Thanks! The screen was from motomachines.com, and was in the "gray" color. They have a bunch of different tints, but I think they all need to be ordered from Europe.

Installation of the RapidBike was challenging, but not all that hard once you figure out where all the connectors go. You do have to lift the fuel tank a bit (but not totally disconnect it) to access two of the connectors. I also wound up putting the "box" in the rear underseat tray, rather than their suggested position near the coolant reservoir, which I couldn't quite figure out how to make work.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Garage
Beautiful scenery, and the pictures to prove it !

I have a friend who has put the Rapidbike module on several of his bikes (KTMs and Triumph Speed Triple), and he swears by them. Good to hear it isn't all in his head.
bwhip likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip View Post
Thanks! The screen was from motomachines.com, and was in the "gray" color. They have a bunch of different tints, but I think they all need to be ordered from Europe.

Installation of the RapidBike was challenging, but not all that hard once you figure out where all the connectors go. You do have to lift the fuel tank a bit (but not totally disconnect it) to access two of the connectors. I also wound up putting the "box" in the rear underseat tray, rather than their suggested position near the coolant reservoir, which I couldn't quite figure out how to make work.
Last question! How comprehensive were the installation instructions from rapidbike?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
Last question! How comprehensive were the installation instructions from rapidbike?
They were pretty good, and the good folks at Shift-Tech were always happy to help with any questions I had. I appreciated their Forum discount as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode