2018 Multistrada Rumors - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

2018 Multistrada Rumors

Saw this in a Facebook forum couple of days ago. Dunno how believable it is, but thought it might make for some interesting discussion:

Scoop: nuova Ducati Multistrada 2018! - Ducatimultistrada.it

And here's what Google Translate thinks it says in English:

https://translate.google.com/transla...%2F&edit-text=

Highlights:

- 1262cc engine from the XDiavel
- Semi-automatic gearbox
- GPS navigation built into the dash
- Next-gen Skyhook suspension
- Electronic steering damper
- New LED headlight
- New exhaust?

I've already seen others speculating that the "semi-automatic gearbox" just means quick upshifts and downshifts, like you get on the SuperDuke GT and S1000XR. Feel free to speculate wildly among yourselves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Some of those features would be nice and almost a 'Must Do' to keep an edge or keep up with the competition.

The Ducati Panigale currently has the quick shifter and auto blipper downshift, so it's logical to start putting this on other Ducati models.

The GPS is nice, but having dealt with an OEM GPS on my old Goldwing, it soon became several steps behind what was available from cheaper standalone GPS's, plus they need to really get the Bluetooth stuff sorted.

The steering damper would also be a great addition, likewise this is currently on the 1299.

Good stuff, but probably not enough to make me think about trading up...

But it certainly sounds like the right direction.

'15 Ducati Panigale 1299S, '15 White Ducati Multistrada S (Vin #1000), '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, '08 KTM 300XCW, '07 Ducati 1098s, '98 Yamaha R1, '93 Bimota DB2, '76 Honda CB400F
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 1:20 pm

As cool as the TFT dash is on the current multistrada it still feels "old". Given how affordable tablets are these days I would imagine that the next gen bike will have a much nicer dash with more features. The KTM 1290 Adventure dash looks amazing and in my mind, blows the multistrada out of the water.

The multi does everything I need it to do but it could definitely be better, akin to Tesla's design.

As far as the quick shifter...yeah, most definitely. There's no reason why a 20,000 dollar bike doesnt have one.

Lastly, id love to see a steering damper on this bike. I know that given how tall it is, it will never be as stable as a sport bike but I believe the steering damper may take some of that squirrely behavior away from the front end.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 4:45 pm

New exhaust? We'll let's get things started. ......

.... I find the new fictional exhaust on the rumored 2018 to be flawed. I forsee a dip at 5,345 rpm. I demand Ducati address this or provide a $2,500 credit towards a full termi....

All kidding aside, despite all the arguments about not understanding how to set up a bike. This long legged beauty needs a steering damper.

Sent from Android using TapTalk
Gadgetech likes this.

Present – 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200s | 2000 Ducati MH900e **Past Sins – 2007 MG Griso|2004 Aprilia Tuono|2003 Ducati 748|2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon|1996 Ducati 750 Monster
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 7:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Some of those features would be nice and almost a 'Must Do' to keep an edge or keep up with the competition.

The Ducati Panigale currently has the quick shifter and auto blipper downshift, so it's logical to start putting this on other Ducati models.

The steering damper would also be a great addition, likewise this is currently on the 1299.
The Supersport S I demo rode on Saturday had the quickshifter, which is also optional on the new Monster and standard on the new Monster S, and the Monster R has a steering damper, so those options are already hitting the other models in the midrange of Ducati's lineup... It would make sense for the Multi to get them next.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 7:34 am

Garage
Interesting...

- 1262cc engine from the XDiavel
>- Sounds like a great engine... I wonder if it would stay with the torque setup or opt for more hp.
- Semi-automatic gearbox
>- Quickshift/autoblip... should have been on the 2015
- GPS navigation built into the dash
>- Terrible idea - pay Ducati prices and get locked into a gps that will be outdated long before the bike is retired.
- Next-gen Skyhook suspension
>- I vote for semi-active Ohlins instead (not that I have any complaints about Skyhook)
- Electronic steering damper
>- Interesting, lack of a damper has been a common compliant, I've not had any wobble issues but I'm not a 9/10's rider.
- New LED headlight
>- I'm pretty happy with the led headlights on my 15... but LED's are evolving rapidly and redesigns should happen frequently to pull in more capable designs.
- New exhaust?
>- The restriction in the exhaust is the cat... unless they're going to redesign the cat to increase flow, exhaust design changes are purely cosmetic.
Oaths likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 8:44 am

I'd like to submit my idea for a companion accessory for the 2018 Multi. Self contained nano-drone for bird's eye riding vids . . . and . . . for spotting chaff kick out on blind curves ahead.

2016 Multistrada S (totaled)
2013 Multistrada S Touring (sold)
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
I'd like to submit my idea for a companion accessory for the 2018 Multi. Self contained nano-drone for bird's eye riding vids . . . and . . . for spotting chaff kick out on blind curves ahead.

Those are available, guys are using them for snow boarding, etc.. Big problem, the drone can't fly fast enough, currently, to keep up with a bike.
Bonaventure likes this.

'15 Ducati Panigale 1299S, '15 White Ducati Multistrada S (Vin #1000), '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, '08 KTM 300XCW, '07 Ducati 1098s, '98 Yamaha R1, '93 Bimota DB2, '76 Honda CB400F
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 11:19 am

Improvements to the MTS... So I will want trade my great running '15 for a new one:

- Clutch-less shifting sounds fun,

- Update control switches would be great (especially easy to use horn and heated grip buttons)

- A decent, all-day seat

- Slight styling updates

- MAKE IT SOUND LIKE A DUCATI! Tune the stock exhaust.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 11:55 am

Garage
A decent ,all-day seat yes please!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI CAN-L11 met Tapatalk

Multistrada 1200S DVT 2016 Touring pack, the Netherlands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode